Modernization Progress

tenjuna

• Site Owner

I am unfortunately stuck on these comm server integrations. The code to make it all work is beta at best, and the developers are not actively working on it right now. I am starting to wonder if it's even worth continuing work on these. I spend hours on one feature just to have another break.

As cool as it would be to see who is on the comm servers here on the site, it's beginning to be more work than it's worth.

If I can't make things progress soon I think I will put those on the back burner and move on to v4.2.

• Site Owner

Yeah I am done with trying to integrate comms for now, so I have moved them to v4.3 for a future look. They are half-baked mods and it's going to take a lot of time to get them to work properly. Since I already have several large projects, in the back burner they go.

I am going to work on finish clean up of the site this weekend. After some talk in the background about layout options, it would seem we don't have a solid direction for that yet. So in the meantime I am getting the rest done so I can move on to v4.2.

• Site Owner

Just an update since it's been a little while.

I am currently now working full-time plus working on my Master's Degree full-time, and with my daughter now living with me my free time is very limited. Things have been getting better over this past month, but it was a bit of a culture shock having nothing to do the last 6 months to suddenly having no free time.

In any case, I re-arranged the work list a bit to better reflect what's on my mind as work progresses on the site. I admittedly was hoping that a lot of people would have come back by now, but realistically I have not put a lot of effort into telling people the site is here. So I am going to instead keep working on the site as time allows, and when I get to v4.4 that will more or less be when I have run out of ideas, and I will put in a more serious effort to get the word out. There really is no hurry here, it's been years since the site was active, so anyone that would come back would still do so a few months from now.

As far as current work is concerned: I am still thinking through how I want the site layout to look...there are 2 thoughts here: we can either have a very streamlined front page, which would be better looking, OR we can have most of the major forums at the front, which would be more efficient as far as having to click around to find where to post. I guess part of this is determining where I think the site might go in the future, so that's why the slow process getting this part done. Just when I think I have made up my mind someone brings up a thought that makes me change my mind. Anyway that's where I am at with current work. Eventually as usual I will have an AHA moment and will do the bull in a china shop thing and change everything en masse.

I would like to wrap this part up soon though, as the next version is working on Forum Gold, which is when it will be "fun" for me to work on the site. Design and layout is not really my thing lol.

• 1 month later...
  • Site Owner

Wow I can't even believe how fast time is going. I thought I had just posted an update recently, and it turns out it was 6 weeks ago.

Wow.

All I can tell you guys is I am absolutely buried with my Master's degree right now. A class I thought was 5 weeks turned out to be 10, and a 2nd class started this week that has a soul-crushing amount of work.

I have not forgotten and I have not given up. This is still in progress, but I literally do not have enough hours in my day right now.

Keep the faith, I am not going anywhere. In fact, after Christmas I will have some free time to work on things again as the class load goes back down to something a little more sane.

The server this site is hosted from is literally 40 inches from my right hand, it's not like I can forget about it. :crazy:

• 2 months later...
  • Site Owner

Things are definitely starting to become sane for me now, but to be honest I am not sure where to go from here. On the one hand this was always meant to be a nostalgia project and a labor of love, but on the other hand, it doesn't seem as though anyone is really using it. I guess that's why I have lost a lot of the initiative to work on this like I had last summer.

I should say here that the site is NOT going anywhere. I do fully intend to keep it running indefinitely as long as I have the server and the internet connection to handle it. But as far as me being super active on it like I was, I don't really see that happening unless other people are as well. I really feel like I am talking to myself most of the time lol.

Anyway, I DO want to get Book-A-Server and the Hall of Guilds running, mainly for my own curiosity since it was something I have wanted to get running properly since 2008. I want to see mainly if I can actually do it, it is not a small project. Other than picking away at that I will wait patiently for others to return.

• Administrator

Glad to see you're still around. I've been SUPER slammed at work for the past...6 months. Ugh, life.

Using your TS server tonight to play some long over due PoE ;).

Sad state of life is I think many people have a lot less time to dedicate to the interwebs. Gotta keep a new crowd coming in.

• Site Owner

I don't really see that happening unless someone else brings a group in. I simply don't have the time to dedicate like I did 10 years ago, though I do wish I did sometimes. Heck, I don't even get to play video games anymore, and I REALLY miss that.

Anyway, I am not going anywhere, I pick at things here and there once in a while.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Site Owner

I have been puttering around on the server improving things and trying to fix things as I go on the site. I wish I could spend more time actually doing stuff, but my time is still very limited.

Only 301 days to go and then I get my life back finally.

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/to?iso=20180428T0000&p0=39&msg=Countdown+to+Graduation&font=cursive&csz=1

• tenjuna changed the title to Modernization Progress