Site Status 6/6/2016

tenjuna

• Site Owner

The last 10 days the site has been loading intermittently, and it took me a good 40 hours of troubleshooting to finally narrow down that my router did not like forwarding the http port for some reason. I finally broke down and bought me a sexy $250 Netgear R7800 router, and holy wow this thing is nice.

Unfortunately I also found that it wasn't just the router being flakey, it seems during my troubleshooting that I introduced a typo bug in the Apache httpd.conf, which took another few hours to track down and fix. Now though the page seems to be loading at 10ms, rather than 10 seconds or never like before.

This is exactly why I haven't announced that I am working on the site, there are plenty of issues to fix.

I am working on adding a Teamspeak server, and as soon as I get the license I will fire it up.

• Site Owner

It turns out there was something really weird going on with my first attempt at getting this up and running, so yesterday I started over from scratch and rebuilt the LAMP server from the ground up. Even after replacing the router and fixing up the config I was still seeing the site come and go intermittently.

Because of this I was able to fix some longstanding file and database structure problems, some of which went all of the way back to the Black November crash of 2004. Unfortunately those fixes had the effect of making v1 and v2 of the site not working properly, but eventually I will get those up and running. I am in full nostalgia mode so it is important to me to get those going again.

I have decided to start working on upgrading the site to IPB 4.1.12.2 and commissioning a new version of Mactastica to be done. The sheer amount of work it will take to clean the site up as it is now leads me to believe that the time might be better spent working on something new and shiny, rather than trying to make this half-hearted v3 upgrade finally work properly. After all, it IS 5 years old now, even though I probably have worked with it for all of 4 months total.

• Site Owner

I have installed v4 of the site at http://www.caintest.com and will have the skin designer start working on the new Mactastica skin for it.

I have not migrated our database over as of yet, as I think I will be taking this opportunity to get rid of some of the bloat. Some of the current database tables contain the remnants of all of the site versions and all of the mods I installed, so you can imagine how much orphaned data there is.

• Site Owner

that all sounds like a major pain in the ass.

i would of gone back to the drawing bored myself xD

nice updates though i assumed you were working on getting it back up just didnt know when it would be :p

yeah it really really was a pita. I almost threw my mouse through my monitor several times because none of it made any sense.

I had nothing scheduled at work at all so I spent all day rebuilding the web server from scratch. it seems to be very fast now though.

once I finished that, I then decided I really did not have the stomach to try and reach back from my memories of 5 years ago to figure out what it was I was doing to get the site 100%, so the hell with it I will spend the $300 and upgrade to v4. I think this will make me a much happier tubjy.