Worklist for dTrades 3.5

tenjuna

• Site Owner

This will be my worklist for version 3.5 of the site. For the most part, this is really a continuation of the work I never got around to when I moved the PostAbout site back to dTrades in 2011/2012. I very likely will not upgrade the site to IPB to 4.1.x, as this will require another custom skin re-work plus having to redo all of the work I am doing right now. At ~$500, not really worth it. But if I get bored and/or drunk enough who knows what magic can happen.

- Get the old sites up and running again - right now there are links to wherediablolives.com and caintest.com, need to update to happyfunbears.com and sta.kitchen (these are throwaway domain names, I don't care about them). Need to find the files for the old sites, hopefully I still have them somewhere. I especially need dTrades 1.2 so I can properly do the next item...

- Fix site skin template - once the layout is fixed the way I want it, I will have to figure out how to commit the changes to the templates. Every time I upgrade something it breaks the site, and this is because I know nothing about IPB 3.4.x templating.

• Site width is 3% narrower than logo header...wtf why?????????
  • Bump button needs white text
  • Avatar section missing FG and the layout is all wrong
  • Fix references in people's sigs and avatars to postabout.com...database needs a kick to the jimmy for this one
  • Need to go through registration, posts, TrustyTrader, login/logout, messaging, in other words every template on the site

- Fix items in The Shop (and the shop layout itself) - I never did get around to fixing the glows, name colors, and all the fun stuff people used FG on. I started work on that, but between that and the shop layout looking pretty nasty, this will take a while.

- Fix the Arcade - yet another site feature that was broken even in PostAbout. I will be very happy to get this working again.

- Clean up all stickies and permanent posts

- Re-organize forums - not sure how much this is really needed now though

- Clean up member groups and permissions

- Send out an e-mail blast - this won't happen until the site is done

• Administrator

Host a teamspeak server for all of the old pros!

Edit: I had one hosted, linux box had issues, haven't fixed it yet...

Fwiw, I did some template changes at one point, they seemed to stick/work. That's been a couple years ago now, but I could have a look?

Edit: Best way is to probably duplicate the website at some dummy public ip address as a 'sandbox' and play around.

If you look at the webarchive of dtrades, you can see what forum 'improvements' don and I made.

Edit: http://web.archive.org/web/20130618132308/http://www.dtrades.org Anything that required you to login, you obviously cannot see...

• Site Owner

Oh the wayback machine I totally forgot about that...that's perfect now I can get the site organized.

Frankly, there is no traffic, so the site IS the sandbox lol. I will start working on changes though. I think I have decided to upgrade to the latest IPB and get the skin redone, all for the low low price of $280 lol.

I will see about firing up a teamspeak server though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Indeed, probably reasonable.

If you're going to keep a public worklist, might be worth making a sticky post that is always 'current.' Might be worth even keeping track of old plans that you've now decided are a bad idea.

e.g.

Fix 3.5  Decided to upgrade to 4 instead.

Upgrade to 4

Add TS Server Done

Helps the community keep track of what is going on, understand where the direction is heading, and helps you feel accomplished -- all in one thread! ;)

• Site Owner

Yes, I am going to have a v4 work list once I figure out what I am doing. Right now everything was explained in the Ten Juna Day post, but I have a heap of database work to do before I can even tackle v4. I got a very large chunk of it done today, and with any luck I will commence next weekend.