Mactastica Skin Redux

tenjuna

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Site Owner

the skin is more or less done, and it looks amazing...it looks so much like the original it's ridiculous.

I am hoping to have it installed today.

I am also trying to get them to do a darker version of the same layout, just for giggles...it's only a little more $, may as well.

• Administrator

the skin is more or less done, and it looks amazing...it looks so much like the original it's ridiculous.

I am hoping to have it installed today.

I am also trying to get them to do a darker version of the same layout, just for giggles...it's only a little more $, may as well.

yay.

• Site Owner

I need help debugging the skin, I am seeing a lot of stuff so far.

I already know about the menus top right, and the avatar area being all messed up.

beyond that, looking for missing images, sections that don't match the skin, things that don't align right...that kind of thing.

if it doesn't look right, report it!

for comparison to the original skin so you can compare, that site is up at: caintest.com

• Administrator

beyond that, looking for missing images, sections that don't match the skin, things that don't align right...that kind of thing.

I don't think this is as big of an issue with current browsers, but if you guys could do a manual refresh (typically F5 or shift+F5) before submitting any issues that would be great. In earlier days browsers would cache a lot of the data and not necessarily pull new images/layouts when changed. Force refreshing should tell your browser to pull the latest data.

Also, it couldn't hurt if you included your operating system, browser, and browser version with any bug reports.

Thanks.

P.S. Skin looks great so far.

• Administrator

post-52-0-62547500-1329320030_thumb.png

1) Is it possible to have the topic title moved down to preserve space? It looks a bit odd with all of the white space floating around.

2) Could this be moved down to make a more localized 'thread buttons' area?

3) I believe this button is missing its bottom border or perhaps it is being overlapped by the item below it.

Browser: Chromium 16 and FireFox 10

EDIT: Seems that inserting attachments defaults them to thumbnail size. Not sure if you have this set in the admincp as a global option or this is skin specific.

• Administrator

1) Is it possible to have the topic title moved down to preserve space? It looks a bit odd with all of the white space floating around.

3) I believe this button is missing its bottom border or perhaps it is being overlapped by the item below it.

EDIT: Seems that inserting attachments defaults them to thumbnail size. Not sure if you have this set in the admincp as a global option or this is skin specific.

There also seems to be an issue with alignment on the right side of the quick reply box when quoting another post. It appears that the light-blue 'background' which holds the WYSIWYG tools and reply text area is not large enough to hold all the elements at their current size/location.

Will post screenshot if needed.

Same OS/browser.

• Site Owner

In the moderation options area of a post the 'topic moderation' and 'post moderation' drop downs have different graphics. It appears that the 'post moderation' is the odd man out.

There also seems to be an issue with alignment on the right side of the quick reply box when quoting another post. It appears that the light-blue 'background' which holds the WYSIWYG tools and reply text area is not large enough to hold all the elements at their current size/location.

Same OS/browser.

will need screenie, I am not seeing this.

• Site Owner

I also noted this, though I am not sure how to address it yet, since there will be a space contention for topics with longer titles and smaller screen resolutions. I still have to develop for 1024x768 unfortunately.

• Administrator

In the moderation options area of a post the 'topic moderation' and 'post moderation' drop downs have different graphics. It appears that the 'post moderation' is the odd man out.

Same OS/browser.

will need screenie, I am not seeing this.

Upon further investigation it only appears to be an issue with Chromium (not firefox, but maybe others?) when utilizing resolutions that are less then 1024(ish)xX.

post-52-0-71476500-1329324407_thumb.png

• Administrator

I also noted this, though I am not sure how to address it yet, since there will be a space contention for topics with longer titles and smaller screen resolutions. I still have to develop for 1024x768 unfortunately.

Understood.

Is it possible to add ellipses to topic titles that would require over X resolution to display? I.e. "Mactastica Skin Redux is super fantastic awesome" would become Mactastica Skin Redux is super fantas..."? Then you could always utilize the rest of the 1024px width for the standard buttons.

• Site Owner

I would rather have extra white space to be honest...no point in having a title if you can't see all of it.

I am currently thinking of just adding title info to the bar that currently says "32 replies to this topic" or making a bar for it, or reducing font size...idk something. I am going to forward all of this to the developer for his thoughts.

we have a month to fix everything so keep em coming.

• Administrator

I would rather have extra white space to be honest...no point in having a title if you can't see all of it.

I am currently thinking of just adding title info to the bar that currently says "32 replies to this topic" or making a bar for it, or reducing font size...idk something. I am going to forward all of this to the developer for his thoughts.

The white space is not nearly as bad when the topic reaches multiple pages as that renders directly below the title. So, I suppose we can strike number issue "1)" from my image. As for the "Follow this topic" item, I would still like to see this moved next to the "Go to first unread post" and "Reply to this topic" area (Issue "2)"). And of course issue "3)" is still present.

Is it possible to get buttons made for "Report", "Blog This", "Unapprove", "Delete", "Edit", and "Go to first unread post"? I believe they are currently just html text links. The same would be nice for the "Back to [forum]" link.

Also, the "PREV", "NEXT", "<<", and ">>" buttons looks a little odd compared to everything else, but this may be intentional as to look similar to the "Page x of x" font.

• Administrator

The white space is not nearly as bad when the topic reaches multiple pages as that renders directly below the title. So, I suppose we can strike number issue "1)" from my image.

Could the <BR> be removed after the <DIV> area allocated for the title block? This would remove at least one line (15px) of unneeded (IMO) white space. The padding for the <DIV> elements seems to be enough spacing to keep things neat.

Tried it out in inspect element and it seems to look/function fine (at least when viewing a topic).

• Administrator

Is it possible to get buttons made for "Report", "Blog This", "Unapprove", "Delete", "Edit", and "Go to first unread post"? I believe they are currently just html text links. The same would be nice for the "Back to [forum]" link.

I don't believe this should be to hard because IIRC these are not typical button images, but rather objects with the button text passed into them.

• Site Owner

The white space is not nearly as bad when the topic reaches multiple pages as that renders directly below the title. So, I suppose we can strike number issue "1)" from my image. As for the "Follow this topic" item, I would still like to see this moved next to the "Go to first unread post" and "Reply to this topic" area (Issue "2)"). And of course issue "3)" is still present.

Also, the "PREV", "NEXT", "<<", and ">>" buttons looks a little odd compared to everything else, but this may be intentional as to look similar to the "Page x of x" font.

adding to list.

• Site Owner

The white space is not nearly as bad when the topic reaches multiple pages as that renders directly below the title. So, I suppose we can strike number issue "1)" from my image.

Could the <BR> be removed after the <DIV> area allocated for the title block? This would remove at least one line (15px) of unneeded (IMO) white space. The padding for the <DIV> elements seems to be enough spacing to keep things neat.

Tried it out in inspect element and it seems to look/function fine (at least when viewing a topic).

done, but it looks fugly...

• Administrator

done, but it looks fugly...

Eh? Perhaps a break is necessary, but 15px seems like a bit much. IMO no <br> looks better then the 15px <br> - could just be me though.

What resolution/screen size are you using? If your PPI is higher then mine it may not look as nice...

• Site Owner

1280x1024 and actually I am developing the site for this resolution now, if someone is still using 1024x768 they likely aren't using this site.

I moved things around a little, it looks a lot better now.

the global message box wasnt helping either so I removed it for now...it's nice to have but people can just read the announcements forum.

• Administrator

1280x1024 and actually I am developing the site for this resolution now, if someone is still using 1024x768 they likely aren't using this site.

the global message box wasnt helping either so I removed it for now...it's nice to have but people can just read the announcements forum.

Space is good, but the flow seems a bit off.

Could the box that the "x replies to topic" be expanded to include all topic operation? These would include follow, reply, go to first unread, and the page navigation - should help keep things organized and improve the transition from the title to the thread controls.

• Administrator

Space is good, but the flow seems a bit off.

Could the box that the "x replies to topic" be expanded to include all topic operation? These would include follow, reply, go to first unread, and the page navigation - should help keep things organized and improve the transition from the title to the thread controls.

I'm thinking something like:

<box> [<<] [PREV] Page [currentPage] of [totalPage]

[currentPage]

[NEXT] [>>] [x] replies to this topic ----whitespace---- [Go to first unread] [Follow this topic] [followers] [Reply to this topic] </box>

Hopefully my pseudo code is readable...

EDIT: Forgot an entry

• Administrator

I moved that bar to break up the white space...and again I don't want to crowd up that bar you want everything moved to...plus I would have to fix it for the forum view as well.

Understandable, but that bar seems to be dedicated to topic specific information so it would be a fitting place for topic controls.

• Administrator

aha nice I see what you mean now...I like the first one I will see what I can do there

I think what I will do is get rid of all the "to this topic" and just do follow reply bump etc...that should help with space

Sounds like a plan.

Perhaps we should consider doing the same at the forum level as well? Obviously the buttons/links are different, but it is the same idea.

• Administrator

It appears all of the buttons of this type are missing this boarder. They seem to be controlled via CSS and if I'm reading the CSS properly (lack of spacing when downloading SUCKS) it appears that the bottom boarder width is set to 0px. I assume this is intentional, but I'm not entirely sure why...