Site Upgrade Checklist (formerly dTrades is back!)

tenjuna

• Site Owner

I have switched the domain back to dtrades.org...welcome home. you may want to change all of your bookmarks now while you are thinking about it.

as you can see, we have upgraded.

===

as of December 12 the site upgrade as I see it is complete. for now, I am basically tinkering with things, with the intention of being fully complete by May 16th, which is the official 8th anniversary of the day this site was registered and made live...

I am currently working on moving the site to a new server and wringing out the bugs in the new mactastica skin.

===

here is what I have left:

1. chat room takes 30 seconds to enter, and freezes the entire site in the meantime (installed CURL to fix)

2. for whatever reason a lot of avatars are missing (I fixed as much as I could)

3. any post before the site upgrade that had quoted stuff in it has broken quote code (rebuilt post content to fix)

4. need a new logo (quickie logo will do until new skin is up)

5. fix all issues in relation to the upgrade (deleting, moving, cleaning, bugs, etc)

6. fix domain name to dtrades.org (there is a hidden redirect somewhere breaking this, wild goose chase hooray)

7. site store is missing (installing that at some point)

8. forum gold and forum gold buying is missing (will be back once store is re-opened)

9. post bumping button (maybe)

10. arcade missing (though missing games atm)

11. add facebook, twitter, and smartphone integration

12. add customizable side bar blocks (on front page)

13. 20 user chat license

14. buy a new server & increase bandwidth or move to a hosted server instead (current server is way old, we need to do something here)

15. TT is missing (migrating to new trader feedback system)

16. finalize what I am doing with banned member group (no need to now)

17. forum gold earning from posts missing

18. add shop items and raffle/lottery and turn shop back on

19. add a donation system

20. add new skins (thinking of adding Engraved first and will add others if something cool comes up)

21. re-add previously purchased store goodies

22. add a group promotion system or something to replace the old guild system

23. reopen the arcade (after I write a batch import script to re-add 5000+ games...nfc how yet it will be a while)

24. add a support ticket system

=====

if you see a problem or something missing message me or post here. I do not remember everything we did on PostAbout it's been too long.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

2. for whatever reason a lot of avatars are missing (invision will have to fix)

I see profile pictures have been used for avatars as well (if a member had no avatar). I was not a fan of this option when upgrading as there are some scaling issues when doing so. Unfortunately I'm not sure if there is an easy way to undo this so I'm glad it isn't a major issue.

3. any post before the site upgrade that had quoted stuff in it has broken quote code (invision will have to fix)

Fortunately all the time information is captured in the post so this shouldn't be terribly hard to fix.

10. fix domain name to dtrades.org (tried this, it broke every damn thing...I asked Invision to do this, but obviously they did not)

I believe there you need to modify this in the server config file (should be at the root of the installation) and also in the Admin CP. I'm not sure what broke when you tried to change it so I cannot help you any further then that.

11. buy a new windows server OS (we have reached EOL with what I have now, and no I am not using Linux or Apache or any variant thereof - have had too many bad experiences with both to bother re-learning now)

I feel like this is a mistake but you're head honcho so the decision is yours. If you want to mess around with the possibility of using a LAMP server for the forum let me know and I can give you a hand.

I logged on an was like wtf and saw dtrades at the top and was like :)

i see most of the avatar pictures too as I don't remember who had an avatar an who doesn't. Invision has a lot of work it seems.

oh and i see my avatar and you all do too but it doesn't move as it use to something invision will prob fix too a long with the avatar problem I assume.

• Site Owner

it turns out Invision forgot to give me a list of things I needed to do after they finished the upgrade.

I ended up doing the post rebuild myself, and that stuff looks way better now.

the chat thing is related to me not having installed CURL for php, which I probably should have known to do since everything uses CURL nowadays.

avatars missing is just something that will have to be dealt with on a case by case. if yours is messed up, fix it.

• Site Owner

holy moly, I figured out the query already:

UPDATE `caintest`.`ibf_members` as current, `postabout`.`ibf_members` as backup SET current.name=backup.name, current.points=backup.points WHERE current.member_id=backup.member_id;

now if I can just figure out how to restore the backup database lol

are there no more bump buttons?

going to have to give me some time on the small stuff...as I am sure you can imagine this was not a small upgrade.

I may revisit the OS thing when it becomes more of an issue. right now I am just looking for easy, there is enough to do right now.

so is it okay for us to bump our threads by posting "bump" or "up" in the meantime?

thanks

• Site Owner

I am going to go with yes on the bump posts, but I am talking like once a day. there is no need to bump every hour, there is not enough traffic on the site right now for more than that.

=====

There are currently 3 broken issues with the site (Guest posts, post counts, IM message rebuild), 1 wtf issue (Facebook login giving weird error), and 1 aesthetic issue (missing avatars).

Invision is working with me to get these done.

• Site Owner

all known issues in relation to the uprgade are fixed.

Facebook login, share, and like integration is done. You will find the login button up top, and the like/share button at the very very bottom of the topic. Anything you share or like WILL show up on your Facebook profile, and your current Facebook post will show up in your dTrades profile.The "Like This" button you see to the right is in relation to the site's Member Reputation system, which I will likely remove. Facebook integration is slow as hell, nothing I can do about it, bitch at Facebook.

Next I will be seeing about a bump button, but that won't be for a while...for now I am done I need an effing break.

after that I will work on shop items and migrating TT to Member Reputation. after all that then I will look into a new skin, and whether I want to blow cash on it and upgrades.

now leave me alone!

all known issues in relation to the uprgade are fixed.

Facebook login, share, and like integration is done. You will find the login button up top, and the like/share button at the very very bottom of the topic. Anything you share or like WILL show up on your Facebook profile, and your current Facebook post will show up in your dTrades profile.The "Like This" button you see to the right is in relation to the site's Member Reputation system, which I will likely remove. Facebook integration is slow as hell, nothing I can do about it, bitch at Facebook.

Next I will be seeing about a bump button, but that won't be for a while...for now I am done I need an effing break.

after that I will work on forum gold, the shop, shop items, and migrating TT to Member Reputation. after all that then I will look into a new skin, and whether I want to blow cash on it and upgrades.

now leave me alone!

Good work, boss. I was starting to wonder if you might bail on this whole project. You're a man of your word.

Now if fuckin Blizz would just follow suite, we can get this shit going.

• Site Owner

@ruksak - I DID bail on this for 2 years...I just couldn't bring myself to shut it down. frankly I didn't expect the upgrade to be this easy, which was the main reason why I drug my feet for so long. I simply didn't have the time or energy for it. but hey, it turned out great for everyone, so I am glad I didn't walk away.

@Nathan - the guest posting thing was for Awaiting Validation members. I had no idea posting was turned on for that group, or I would have killed that ages ago. the only reason I found out was because when I asked Invision about the weird names, they asked why someone was able to make 2 posts when they had just registered. I went and looked and I was like :banghead:

• Administrator

@Nathan - the guest posting thing was for Awaiting Validation members. I had no idea posting was turned on for that group, or I would have killed that ages ago. the only reason I found out was because when I asked Invision about the weird names, they asked why someone was able to make 2 posts when they had just registered. I went and looked and I was like :banghead:

*Whistles* Actually that was my doing. I was utilizing the "Awaiting Validation" group of IPB 2.X to weed out scammers/PBMs/etc. I'm not entirely sure why validating accounts would show up as Guest_, as that makes absolutely no sense...

But anyways, my bad.

• Site Owner

you will all be happy to know that we have a shop in progress, and I did get everyone's forum gold enabled, so no worries there.

I am figuring out how to get items and inventory transferred which is going to be difficult at best. my fear is we will have to start over. I am working on it. the shop author will not help me...the bastard.

• Site Owner

I have removed all PMs that were more than 30 months old. That was about 500,000 messages and 400 megs of database size folks. if you are not sure what that means, it's a crap ton.

Anyone who needed messages from that long ago really wasn't thinking about backing up obviously, but you can message me and I can retrieve from backup. But you will have to give me the exact subject or some text of it...no way in hell I am searching around a half million records eff that. Message me about it.

Still can't stay logged in. Also, the 'sign in' tab at the top of the page doesn't respond when clicked unless I enter a specific thread/forum, then it allows me to sign in. Just something to dig into when you have time. Great frickin job so far and I think I speak for everybody when I say how much we all appreciate your efforts here. This place is going to be fuckin tits when D3 drops, whenever that is.

• Site Owner

Still can't stay logged in. Also, the 'sign in' tab at the top of the page doesn't respond when clicked unless I enter a specific thread/forum, then it allows me to sign in. Just something to dig into when you have time. Great frickin job so far and I think I speak for everybody when I say how much we all appreciate your efforts here. This place is going to be fuckin tits when D3 drops, whenever that is.

it's just you, it is working fine for me just tried on 3 computers. try clearing out your browser cache, or upgrade it, or try a different browser.

• Site Owner

I am in nursing school. currently taking Anatomy & Physiology, Microbiology, Nutrition, and Intro to Sociology.

eventually I will either be a nurse practitioner (doctor basically), or a nurse anaesthetist ($300,000+ a year w00t).

friendly tip: NEVER take 3 bio classes at the same time, it WILL kick your ass!

=====

in other news, I found a host that might be a perfect fit. it turns out the line down at the warehouse is being downgraded to a less reliable connection (ADSL). things are already end of the line with the current server, so it seems like a better investment to go hosted rather than spending $1000+ on a new server and software that may be strangled by poor bandwidth.

the place I found is $50 a month, and I am betting it will be a huge improvement. I am going to throw up the old dtrades and postabout on there for a month and see what happens. I will likely have everyone jump on it too and see if it is just as bad.

here is what I am looking at doing...yes it is windows 2008, which I am MCITP certified on...not going to try and re-learn apache/linux, no thanks:

http://myhosting.com/developer-vps/windows-developer.aspx

• Administrator

here is what I am looking at doing...yes it is windows 2008, which I am MCITP certified on...not going to try and re-learn apache/linux, no thanks:

http://myhosting.com/developer-vps/windows-developer.aspx

This is the kind of thing that I've considered taking classes for. I want to work from home and I want to evolve with the web. I'm assuming that you would advise against it?

• Site Owner

having done it for 20+ years, I would highly recommend finding something with growth potential. the IT field is saturated. when I first started it was awesome since nobody knew anything, but now all of that stuff is pretty much commodity anymore.

think about what you are really passionate about, then find something along those lines. it took me years to figure out that I wanted to be a nurse. I always knew I was good at helping people and making people laugh, but didn't know how to equate that into a job until all the health problems I went through.