Looking for new Laptop

ExT

Yes looking for a 13.3 inch laptop which weights around 3 pounds and has long battery time

Other specs dont matter too much cause it wont be running heavy games, but needs to be delivered to canada :D

Budget : around 600-800$

Anyone got a suggestion?

Asus U30 series.. any of them would fit your description (but it will lean towards the 800$ price point).

Im using an asus Ul30vt ...after 2 years its still on 7-9 hours battery life (dropped from 11-12ish). Its able to run sc2 on medium, but I don't use it for gaming..

the U30 series is an upgraded version of my ul30vt.. it has i3/i5 processors in it vs my 1.3ghz core 2 duo so you should notice a huge boost in performance there.

I order mine from NCIX, probably best canadian computer site there is. before you order, find the computer you want, go on shopbot.ca and find the cheapest one and pricematch it on NCIX.

• Administrator

I just bought: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834230103

Completely outside of your criteria but I thought I would share :wub:

Anyways my experiences with ASUS products have all been amazing so that's what I'm going to be recommending here. I'm not really a big fan of the 'ultra portable' laptop, but these seem to be some of the better offerings by ASUS (only looked on Amazon - you may find a better product/deal elsewhere).

- http://www.amazon.com/U31SD-A1-13-3-Inch-L...r/dp/B0054LBAA4

- http://www.amazon.com/U36JC-B1-Light-13-3-...k/dp/B004LUU7E4

- http://www.amazon.com/U30SD-XA1-13-3-Inch-...k/dp/B004YW6I38

• Administrator
Its actually for my GF lol I use a dell XPS studio cause I had a 30% rebate coupon at the time :wub:

Its so hard cause she wants something that weights 3 to 3.5 lbs only >.>

Weight constraints are really annoying. I can understand battery life and screen size, but it shouldn't matter if the laptop is 3 lbs or 10 lbs (10 is a bit much, but you know what I mean).

• Administrator
Its actually for my GF lol I use a dell XPS studio cause I had a 30% rebate coupon at the time :wub:

Weight constraints are really annoying. I can understand battery life and screen size, but it shouldn't matter if the laptop is 3 lbs or 10 lbs (10 is a bit much, but you know what I mean).

Maybe what she really wants is a tablet?

Its actually for my GF lol I use a dell XPS studio cause I had a 30% rebate coupon at the time :)

ill probly go with asus series some are around 3 pounds ill just check with her lol

• Administrator
Its actually for my GF lol I use a dell XPS studio cause I had a 30% rebate coupon at the time :)

ill probly go with asus series some are around 3 pounds ill just check with her lol

Well my recent purchase doesn't apply to the 'UL' series, but I am really happy with my G74...

I was a fan of ASUS laptops after my A8JS purchase and I remain a fan of ASUS after my G74 purchase.

• 2 weeks later...

You guys are kidding about the weight constraints right? I carry my laptop back and forth between classes everyday, and it actually has been extremely useful having a light laptop. My old Asus f8va weighs ~ 5 pounds vs my asus ul30vt's 2.9ish pounds had a HUGE difference. I could carry around this the whole day without getting tired.

The Asus UL/U series fit your requirements perfectly, and you have to be kidding about Asus's UL series. They are honestly amazing, my 1.3ghz ul30vt runs sc2 on medium weighs under 3 pounds and having a battery life with 10+ hours is almost unbeatable.

If the laptop is used mainly for browsing/documenting look into the few without a dedicated gfx card, the battery life is slightly longer and it costs ~100-150 less than its dedicated gfx counterpart

• 2 months later...

As no indication of a purchase mentioned yet...

I own a Asus U30Jc-B1.

I still get 7-9 hours on battery when I crank down the screen brightness.

It is light on its own.

Works great.

I'd strongly suggest it.

Also, the NVIDIA Optimus is wonderful because it really can handle HD and I've used it for movies connected to a 1080p TV when I was in China and it took it in stride. Great little laptop.

Also, I've owned for 1.5 years and use daily for law school.

As no indication of a purchase mentioned yet...

I own a Asus U30Jc-B1.

I still get 7-9 hours on battery when I crank down the screen brightness.

It is light on its own.

Works great.

I'd strongly suggest it.

Also, the NVIDIA Optimus is wonderful because it really can handle HD and I've used it for movies connected to a 1080p TV when I was in China and it took it in stride. Great little laptop.

Also, I've owned for 1.5 years and use daily for law school.

I forgot to mention my Asus UL30Vt still runs like new (but I did throw in a SSD in there). I'm getting around 7-8 hours of battery life on power saving with wifi on. thats about a 0.5-1 hour per year depreciation which isn't bad at all since its still at about 8 0% of its max battery life. I got this about 2.5 years ago...

I forgot to mention my Asus UL30Vt still runs like new (but I did throw in a SSD in there). I'm getting around 7-8 hours of battery life on power saving with wifi on. thats about a 0.5-1 hour per year depreciation which isn't bad at all since its still at about 8 0% of its max battery life. I got this about 2.5 years ago...

Yeah, sounds solid. I love these things.

Only things I've done is damaged the edging of the screen bezel some. Otherwise, it's perfect. Well, that and one of the rubber pads on the bottom keeps on coming unstuck.

Yeah, sounds solid. I love these things.

Only things I've done is damaged the edging of the screen bezel some. Otherwise, it's perfect. Well, that and one of the rubber pads on the bottom keeps on coming unstuck.

Funny how I have that same problem, all the rubber feet except one has fallen off ..a lot of the times you'll see my laptop spin on a slanted desk randomly...

only thing bad is in class when the desk isn't leveled my laptop might slide off..