Emulators

madd-hatter

• Administrator

My g/f has been asking me to track down my long lost GameCube, for some time now, in order to play Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker on it. My brother has passed it down through his friends and I wasn't very interested in the tracking job so I decided to look into emulation.

This is what I did all day yesterday. When I was finished, I was blown the fuck away.

I had no idea some of the graphics these older games had up their sleeve. Their tricks were hidden away by their console's limitations. I'm running 7 GB, 9 SNES, 11 N64 titles, and they all look phenomenal. 1440x900 full screen resolution, 16x Anisotropic filtering, 8x AA, texture filters, running at 32 bit, 60 hz. Phenomenal.

Combine all this greatness with the note that I've found myself truly hating nearly every game made in the last 5 or 8 years, and this is a big fuckin' win for team Don. (Not to mention that with the PS3 controller, you have 100% customizable controls.)

Download - Project64 (Nintento 64 Emulator)

Download - Zelda: Ocarina of Time Rom

Guide - Use a PS3 Controller on PC with Analog support.

Everything is going very well. Only 1 crash, on Bomberman 64, but no biggie. They only problem I am having is figuring out how to turn the GameCube files from .rar or .zip into and ISO image and mount it to get the Dolphin emulator to play it... Tips on that would be nice.

Get 'em! Sell your old shit!

I had a large collection of emulators awhile back. Its nice for nostalgia but I get bored with them on the computer quickly. Some of the magic is lost using a PC to play them.

As far as your ISO files go, download a program called Image Burn. You can write files and/or discs to ISOs and vice versa. You should be able to unzip or unrar the emulator and convert the needed files to an ISO.

Im not sure how the dolphin emulator works, but I assume it mounts the ISO for you?

• Administrator
As far as your ISO files go, download a program called Image Burn. You can write files and/or discs to ISOs and vice versa. You should be able to unzip or unrar the emulator and convert the needed files to an ISO.

Im not sure how the dolphin emulator works, but I assume it mounts the ISO for you?

I tried out Image Burn, it seemed to have worked well, it converted the winrar folder into a 1.1GB .iso rather quickly. The dolphin emulator will mount, and it recognizes that it's reading as a disc, but it's reading the disc is incompatible. I also have Daemon Tools, which I can use to mount the .iso and have the Dolphin emulator read it from the :F drive, same result.

I don't know. I've never enjoyed messing with .iso's and mounting. Yuck.

I tried out Image Burn, it seemed to have worked well, it converted the winrar folder into a 1.1GB .iso rather quickly. The dolphin emulator will mount, and it recognizes that it's reading as a disc, but it's reading the disc is incompatible. I also have Daemon Tools, which I can use to mount the .iso and have the Dolphin emulator read it from the :F drive, same result.

Yeah, I can't really help with the troubleshooting beyond what you've already done.

• Administrator

Yeah, I can't really help with the troubleshooting beyond what you've already done.

I'm assuming the games were compressed in .rar/.zip for transfer purposes. Try extracting the files and burning the extracted directory to an .iso.

• Administrator

I'm assuming the games were compressed in .rar/.zip for transfer purposes. Try extracting the files and burning the extracted directory to an .iso.

I have been away for a few days but when I get back home I will google those actions and let you know how it goes. TY.

• 4 weeks later...