so...what do you want for the new dTrades?

tenjuna

• Site Owner

I have purposely not spent a lot of time here as I kick around thoughts and ideas and such.

There are some no-brainers like going back to the dTrades name, getting back to the old mactastica skin or something like it, and jettison a lot of the forums and topics that serve no purpose. I have heard some of you say make the site D3 only, and others have put in suggestions for other games, etc.

The reason for this thread is to hear what you are looking for in a new site. However, the biggest question that needs answered is: what is this site going to be about? We started life as a trading site for D2, then as interest waned and traffic slowed I tried all kinds of different things that were suggested or I came up with to try and turn things around.

I think that is where I erred...the site was never intended by me to be another JSP or a replacement for the Blizz forums, it was meant as a place for cool people to kick back and have a place to call home that wasn't ruled by heavy handed admins, or overrun with morons. I think in that we succeeded very well until I changed the site to PostAbout. Now, I am glad I did that, it was a direction I had always wanted to pursue, but that time has passed.

So...what do you want for the new dTrades? All I want are ideas, let's try to keep the arguing and tenjuna you suck comments to a minimum lol. By the way, saying "get more people on the site" is not an idea. Besides, that is something you should be doing ;-)

Let's hear what you have to say.

Cain

P.S. If you happen to play on Blackhand Horde in WoW, look me up on Geamhradh.

• Administrator

Yo,

the biggest question that needs answered is: what is this site going to be about? We started life as a trading site for D2, then as interest waned and traffic slowed I tried all kinds of different things that were suggested or I came up with to try and turn things around.

We can't bank on D3. We don't know how the game will interact with forums and trading.

PC gaming, and thus forums, are declining. Texting, blogging, and mobile communication continues to grow.

D3 brings optimism with it, but it isn't Jesus, it won't save us. Fuck JSP, it's on it's own life support, it's not worth worrying about.

I think we have to stay diverse. Somewhere out there, there are groups who need a site like this to support their communication (like you found with the eagles.) I think those groups, found and combined, will bring life into each others forums.

to hear what you are looking for in a new site.

facebook/twitter integration

integration of anything popular is probably a good idea

Yo,
the biggest question that needs answered is: what is this site going to be about? We started life as a trading site for D2, then as interest waned and traffic slowed I tried all kinds of different things that were suggested or I came up with to try and turn things around.

We can't bank on D3. We don't know how the game will interact with forums and trading.

PC gaming, and thus forums, are declining. Texting, blogging, and mobile communication continues to grow.

D3 brings optimism with it, but it isn't Jesus, it won't save us. Fuck JSP, it's on it's own life support, it's not worth worrying about.

I think we have to stay diverse. Somewhere out there, there are groups who need a site like this to support their communication (like you found with the eagles.) I think those groups, found and combined, will bring life into each others forums.

to hear what you are looking for in a new site.

facebook/twitter integration

integration of anything popular is probably a good idea

I second this, everyone is now on facebook and barely on myspace, twitter is growing soo fast and is becoming or is already larger then facebook, so many people are socially networking, meeting new people, maybe try some of the games like facebook and banspace has(myspace) like mafia wars and stuff etc, dont know how well the games thing will work but hey it might boost it as sooo many people are farmvilling now adays and the cooking one as well.

Good to see you back tenjuna, sorry to hear about the motorcycle thing, sucks, I just as of 4/26/11 totaled by gsx-r 1000 lol i dont know if you saw the pics on fbook or not.

• Site Owner

facebook integration eh? that sounds like an interesting project.

my timeline is going to be long...I am going to enjoy what will be the first summer in 12 years I will have to myself. once the season is over though I can forsee working on this in earnest since I will have nothing else to do at that point.

I removed all that xbox and steam crap on the left, you're welcome.

aww thats a shame...i was hoping to play halo reach with people.

well making a facebook page like a fan page would be cool. I say keep D2 and have D3. Make WOW more prevalent since its what you like. Make a single live items sell tab like you have. Not sure what else...sports/gaming betting? idk.

have a diablo store on here as well. glad you are back. you are a hard man to get a hold of.

Well, I have been around for a while.

Always lurking here and there...checking on this site from time to time.

I remember when this site was used much more, and I can see why you are looking for a new direction, since D2 is going down the pits.

iPhone modding forums are becoming very popular. There is a very successful site called Modmyi.com

Now I am not saying to draw traffic from them or anything, but you could look into becoming a Repo for the fast rising alternative-AppStore known as Cydia.

And on a plus side, the repos are making a killing off the advertising they are using on their websites and also on the Apps themselves located in the AppStore Cydia.

I am not sure if they are making a percentage off the apps themselves (in fact I am almost sure they are not) but they are getting tons of page views everyday from people just looking at the Apps and seeing the advertisements.

I myself make iPhone themes and I have made quite a bit more then I could have imagined.

This is a community of people and resources that has not been tapped to its full potential yet.

And I suggest if you are going to do it, do it now before it gets to late.

You can also look at going more towards PC/Overclocking/PC-Building/Help-FAQ type of forums.

Those are also on the rise. More and more people are building their own computers now a days because the information is readily available on how to do it.

I also think that the average person is much more tech savvy in today's society.

edit*

Tenjuna, you are still using the signature that I made for you!

A looong time ago!

Well that pleases me haha -_-

Guest Jamblaster

You know something that might be a good idea is blogs, guides, and integration of the ability to live stream your desktop like some other sites do. I used to enjoy watching live streaming pvp online and I think that with D3 it might happen again. Also the ideas on FB-like design would not be a bad idea. People like to talk about what they are doing and giving them a forum to do so is a great idea. It could be like the Gamer's FB or something where instead of posting in the forum and having a spam thread you could put it on your wall and others could post responses to it.

1. Bringing back "dTrades" is full of win. This is a genius idea.

2. The site was once mainly focused on Diablo 2, trading, pricing, leveling, etc. Keep the D2 stuff. The dream of many old players was for Diablo

3, i think we will see a return of some once Diablo 3 arrives. Even if Diablo 3 has some type of auction system/ trade system (better than D2), there will still be a need for forums.. whether it be guides, checking of prices, character builds etc....

3. Any other gaming stuff, in my opinion, should not be on this site. There is plenty of other forums (neogaf, gamefaqs, etc.) that people are going to go to talk about other video games. If there is a need for other games / forum for dtrades/postabout, i think it shoudl be related strictly to blizzard games.

4. Facebook is a good idea, some type of integration, as well as an official dtrades page. The only way to get more people to become part of this site is to spread the name, because i think a lot of people have never heard of dtrades or post about.

Nope, I don't want some stupid angry 14 year old future- esque individual stalking my life once he figures out my name and or where I live and go to school.

Plus facebook is overrated and is just a fad and if dtrades did it it will become "like every other site"

lame

Am I the only one who thinks facebook integration is a bad idea? o.o

Nope, I don't want some stupid angry 14 year old future- esque individual stalking my life once he figures out my name and or where I live and go to school.

Plus facebook is overrated and is just a fad and if dtrades did it it will become "like every other site"

lame

Am I the only one who thinks facebook integration is a bad idea? o.o

Hai uker. I'd love to stalk you all day long.

Hey, I remember using this site when it was full of people. First let me say that I know making changes is very hard I know nothing about webpages or servers or computers. But I personally think the site went downhill (in terms of traffic) when updates stopped coming.

Don't take anything the wrong way, but by updates I mean you didn't update the site enough. I remember you would post a thread up every once in a while like (blank changes coming) and they would never come, or they would come many months late, or the change did nothing to help (such as changing the format of the site). The biggest update you made since dtrades was to make it turn into the layout of this site, which isn't useful.

Again, I know your life is busy and there are time/money constraints, and it's hard work to make updates.

I think you should just make the site about d3, and when there is enough traffic on the site, expand it to starcraft II, and other popular games.

Some sort of free app development linked to the forum for phones might be cool. Alerts for messages and forum posts and what not. Might be better suited when D3 comes out though, so people can watch out for trades or pvp challenges or something.

Then again, it might be too much work and seeing as it is a PC game, I'm not sure how many people would be interested in receiving updates while they are away from their computer.

I agree with the comment about making the site compatible with Iphone / Smartphone, I feel that would be a great addition. With the facebook comment, it would work.... but I would limit it to only people on your "friends" being able to access that. I feel the site should focus mostly on diablo, if your trying to get back to it's old routes, but still touch on other consoles and games as well. I used to be here all the time, and my focus was primarily Diablo, as well as a large majority of the other members as well. I was here over JSP any day, until the massive decline of Dtrades. I like being here. Like Tenjuna said, the relaxed atmosphere is great, trouble will be everywhere, but here it was taken care of immediately with little drama. And not to "steal" ideas from jsp, but there are some nice features that are liked that i've seen.

- Guilds have always been very active and popular. Maybe make it more in depth, having a chat to keep people from making their own site for discussion to keep activity on dtrades.

- I personally liked the old layout, where everything could be seem from the same page, not having tabs to hit. Than you'd have to hit a sub forum in order to view which realm your on.

I will have more things that come to mind, just can't think of em at the moment. DTrades is my original home, and it's great to see your looking at picking it up again. Glad to see your back and still interested Tenjuna.

• Site Owner

hi everyone...I am in the middle of summer classes, but in about 5-6 weeks i will be done, and I will start working on this.

right now, I will be starting by moving the site back to dtrades.org, and try and come up with a new logo. I will see if I can find a white skin, just so that you guys have something new to stare at.

frankly, i am sick to death of this blue skin. it was a great idea with the tabbed interface, but meh I miss the old mactastica skin.

it's coming guys, I haven't forgotten about ya. :-)

• Administrator

OK this is going to be a really long post but completely worth the full read...

frankly, i am sick to death of this blue skin. it was a great idea with the tabbed interface, but meh I miss the old mactastica skin.

I had to get really high and lay on the floor to realize that while tabs seem cleaner and more efficient, they are actually far more work than mouse scrolling and thus they grossly amplify certain forum's inactivity, some to the point of death.

We need to get rid of them completely and go:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
How can a full 11 days pass and no one comments on my ridiculous post, lol.

You know better, Don. Many folks here aren't trying to actually read anymore than two sentences. You injected too much intelligence in your post for most people to bother to absorb. Very well constructed on your part, IMO. Tenjy would do well to incorporate some of the template you have presented.

Kudos for that, brother.

On to the matter at hand......

Performing necromancy upon the moniker of "Dtrades" is a wise move. I would even think to add a "3". (D3trades.com). This would be wise in order to snatch up the new generation of Diablo players out there. Those whom never played the series. Those whom have never heard of JSP. A 14 year old kid may purchase Diablo 3 and have the inclination to google diablo 3 related keywords into their browser in an attempt to reach out in hopes of finding D3 related trading sites. Thus the reasoning for the addition of a "3" in the domain name.

Make no mistake, D3 will be big and the new players to the series will include dynamic age demographics. My guess is that many new players will be upward of 35 years in age. They too will be researching on the internet in hopes of finding D3 related trading/fan sites.

I would like to address the elephant in the room. J S P

They are your competition, Tenjy. Address them as such head on without bashful refrain. Confront the choice that D3 players will have in online trading resources. Address the open sewer that is JSP. Address their heavy handedness and penchant for banning legit traders while providing a conduit for scammers. Planting the seed early will serve this site well in garnering players early on in order subscribe their efforts toward Dtrades and away from alternative sites.

Social Networking:

Fuck NO!

Don't waste your time, effort and money. Integration of this platform would be a waste of resources as people don't want that dimension added to a gaming fan-site. I feel that the flaming and rage based interaction would flourish and spill over into Facebook, causing problematic interaction between members. We have enough trouble controlling such behavior here on a singular platform. Tying us to Facebook would compromise your efforts to control such behavior here, on our site. In short, by integrating Facebook with Dtrades you are weaving a sticky web that will mire your efforts to keep things clean, here.

Tenjy...I implore you to expedite this process as you do not want to be late arriving. If Dtrades isn't 100% operational by the release date, you have already doomed Dtrades to a life of obsolete ancillary existence.

so...what do you want for the new dTrades?

A small community feel among a large community. I want a site that provides fast, safe trading interaction. I want staff members that understand their position and conduct themselves without intimidation and needless warns, bans and bullying.

I want a proactive anti-scammer culture. Those whom scam should be held in a public stockade and tracked to new accounts.

• Administrator

You know better, Don. Many folks here aren't trying to actually read anymore than two sentences. You injected too much intelligence in your post for most people to bother to absorb. Very well constructed on your part, IMO. Tenjy would do well to incorporate some of the template you have presented.

Kudos for that, brother.

TY.

Social Networking:

Fuck NO!

Don't waste your time, effort and money. Integration of this platform would be a waste of resources as people don't want that dimension added to a gaming fan-site. I feel that the flaming and rage based interaction would flourish and spill over into Facebook, causing problematic interaction between members. We have enough trouble controlling such behavior here on a singular platform. Tying us to Facebook would compromise your efforts to control such behavior here, on our site. In short, by integrating Facebook with Dtrades you are weaving a sticky web that will mire your efforts to keep things clean, here.

Yes, after further thought about facebook and the way things would play out there, I agree.

However, GOOGLE HAS SAVED THE IDEA!

Google+ with "circles" completely changes the social-gaming/gaming-social aspect.

With one little fix such as "Dtrades circle" and boom, the social and gaming lives remain both separate and the same, just as they are in reality.

• Administrator

Kudos for that, brother.

TY.

Social Networking:

Fuck NO!

Yes, after further thought about facebook and the way things would play out there, I agree.

Google+ with "circles" completely changes the social-gaming/gaming-social aspect.

With one little fix such as "Dtrades circle" and boom, the social and gaming lives remain both separate and the same, just as they are in reality.

You added me to a dTrades circle?! I thought we were friends!!!

:D

Kudos for that, brother.

TY.

Social Networking:

Fuck NO!

This thread has it all. Sex, intrigue and betrayal.

Promise me that when you guys fight you will do so naked so that I may be entertained in the utmost capacity. I'm not gay but I enjoy watching naked men fight for their honor.

Kudos for that, brother.

TY.

Social Networking:

Fuck NO!

This thread has it all. Sex, intrigue and betrayal.

Promise me that when you guys fight you will do so naked so that I may be entertained in the utmost capacity. I'm not gay but I enjoy watching naked men fight for their honor.

And when you do fight naked, please use dildos as your weapon of choice.

• Administrator

lol to all of that.

Chris - I've played around with G+ once. I was excited to create the dtrades circle and put some peeps in it. My main concern with circles is who I can present which side of my opinions to. I don't feel I'll be offending you anytime soon so I would have you in most of the circles.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Site Owner

There were some great ideas in here, and I tried to implement as much as I could.

It's an ongoing process, I will make mistakes, I will make bad choices, but in the end we will get it right.

I am re-opening this to make it a living document. feel free to keep commenting, I AM listening.

cain

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Remove the entire gaming sub forum.

Put Gaming in the Off Topic forum, make The Arcade a sub forum of it. Reset all arcade scores. Ditch both console and PC separations and have it just be Gaming.

Do we even have an arcade still? Because I don't have permission to view it... Fail.

• 3 weeks later...