Cheap 3g Mobile hotspot

AXO

• Administrator
MiFi 2200

I have no use for it, but I am tempted regardless.

Edit: In case you don't want to click the link

$149.99 Device cost

Size of a fat credit card

$40.00 a month for unlimited data

$10.00 for 10day mb limit

No contract.

Any idea how good virgin's coverage is?

Need to find someone with Sprint and test it out..

• Administrator

Appears that this is actually unlimited as well (no Unlimited*)...

Might look into getting this for my parents. They've been on Satellite for a couple years now and they hate it...

Unfortunately I'll have to get their machine running on wireless - oh well simple expansion card.

EDIT:

Kind of wonder if I can get this running with a DD-WRT router for some advanced capabilities...

• Administrator
I'm not sure if you could pair it up with a router or not. According to the yahoo article where I first saw this thing, it uses the entire sprint 3g network due to the fact that sprint is focusing on pushing their 4g network.

Looks like it is definitely possible to pair it up with a router (with some work). Unfortunately I can't seem to get 3G coverage at my parents house (using someone's sprint mifi right now), so this really isn't a better solution then satellite. Sure, the response time is better, but you're sacrificing throughput for latency...not necessarily a good trade.

Depressing.

• Administrator
Good deal, did you try any streaming video, or gaming with it by chance?

So apparently there is a HUGE difference between something being Sprint and something using Sprint's network...

The device is working, but I haven't seen speeds even relatively close to the ones that the Sprint MiFi card got. Apparently this isn't an isolated incident either...

See:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24710118-...-unlimited-deal

• Administrator
Can you return it?

I probably could, but I'm going to give it a couple weeks. If it starts working at >.5 Mbps DL and >.1 Mbps DL with sub 300 ms latency then it is definitely an improvement over satellite...

I set it up with a router so my parents could use it throughout the week and let me know what they think.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator
I set my parents up with one of these a few months ago. Its very nice for people who live no where near cable internet. However sprint does not have an unlimited package with 3g in their area, and the bill when i was on vacation was surprising. I hope they get 4g in that area soon.

The service on Virgin has definitely improved since I last posted. You may want to check it out for your parents since it is *currently* unlimited and requires no contract...