laptop optimization?

Bape.

just recently got an asus u45 laptop for school and for some reason it's running on average.

it has an i3 370mm 2.4 ghz processor so i'd assume it'd be a lot faster than my desktop which is just a pent 4 3.4ghz processor.

and i have 4 gb of ram compared to the measly 1 gb i had on my desktop.

asus does have a super hybrid engine but when i run it on high performance and try playing tf2 it seems to lag for some reason. i was just wondering if anyone could help me on how i could optimize on all the features of my laptop? i'd hate it if all of it's features aren't put to completely good use.

thanks in advance!

• Administrator

Well start with the usual:

Update Drivers (specifically video)

Remove programs from startup (start->run->msconfig->startup tab). Uncheck anything that you don't want to start on boot.

You probably don't need a lot of the odds and ends that come with the machine so be sure to disable them...

nvidia geforce 310m with 1 gb of vram.

has optimus technology so it automatically switches from one vid card to the next depending on what my comp is doing. the second video card is a rando intel one.

and i did a double check on startup programs and i made sure my comp was running on like 100% processor speed.

nvidia geforce 310m with 1 gb of vram.

has optimus technology so it automatically switches from one vid card to the next depending on what my comp is doing. the second video card is a rando intel one.

and i did a double check on startup programs and i made sure my comp was running on like 100% processor speed.

Is that dedicated video memory on the card or is that the total that it can draw from the system under load?

Never mind, I just remember when I bought my laptop alot of them would say 1gb graphic memory and it would say 512mb dedicated in parenthesis but that was a couple years ago.

Anyways I looked up your laptop on newegg I am really surprised that your getting lag with those specs with TF2. Do you think it might be server lag or is it clearly hardware related lag?

• Administrator
Good start is to fresh install a new OS, (you should be able to use your same key, but this will remove any bloatware)

once you do that start updating all your drivers..

This is actually one of the better solutions if you can manage. This will eliminate any software that could potentially be hindering your performance.

Make sure you've double checked all the simple stuff first though.

nah im using avg atm and i uninstalled trendnet which came with the computer.

also i would love to do a system restore but idk how that would screw up with asus' programs that come built in with the computer like it's super hybrid engine and it's nvidia optimus technology which switches graphics cards depending on what program im using .

• Administrator

also i would love to do a system restore but idk how that would screw up with asus' programs that come built in with the computer like it's super hybrid engine and it's nvidia optimus technology which switches graphics cards depending on what program im using .

All of those programs should be available on either the ASUS or nVidia website.

All of those programs should be available on either the ASUS or nVidia website.

I just swapped my hdd out for an ssd, I'm using ASUS ul30vt right now, and the disc that comes with your laptop will basically install all the functions back to how it was before.

mine uses the g210m and an integrated intel one.. my videocard swithc button works, and basically everything else works! >.>

I suggest getting an ssd =D and installing a fresh copy of windows 7

Also since you're a post secondary student, you can get an upgrade copy for 40$, This allows you to do full install w/o actually upgrading so you're basically getting full version without upgrading anything

http://www.microsoft.com/student/office/en-ca/default.aspx that's the link to the site if you like.

you might have trouble activating it though, i basically got a free windows professional from calling in cuz they gave me another key when mine didn't activate (i used a premium home one origianlly then they were like fuck it heres a free professsional one)

thanks sam and you got a ul? i was planning on getting that but i stuck with the u series as well cause i didn't think an su700 processor would be the greatest thing in the world haha. and yeah ill give a look see over the weekend and maybe ill do a reinstall or something.

and ssd is kinda expensive for me imo :\

thanks sam and you got a ul? i was planning on getting that but i stuck with the u series as well cause i didn't think an su700 processor would be the greatest thing in the world haha. and yeah ill give a look see over the weekend and maybe ill do a reinstall or something.

and ssd is kinda expensive for me imo :\

Runs sc2 on medium nigga, what else would you need to do with a 1.3 ghz processor thats more power hungry? especially on a school laptop =p

plus when you put it on high performance it goes up to 1.8 ;D