Tips that will help prevent you from being scammed

VeRSeS

Helpful Hints To Help Prevent You From Being Scammed:

General:

1.) Always use a moderator for cash trades! Staff members are here to help, but please be patient when requesting assistance from a moderator. Try to set up a time to do the trade that is convenient for all parties involved (including the moderator).

2.) Be sure you know who you're trading with. It isn't unheard of for scammers to impersonate members of good standing on other forums.

3.) Don't be stupid! Beware of accounts that suddenly become very active in dBay after being inactive for an extended period of time. Also be wary of new members (sorry to all you new guys with good intentions) suddenly trying to dump all sorts of perm items.

4.) It can't hurt to acquire the phone number of the person who you are trading and speak to them directly concerning the sale. This will also allow you to have a way to contact the member in case problems arise.

5.) Be wary of people selling perm items which share stats with commonly duped items (i.e. bugged tals, 08 valks, etc)

Payment Methods:

6.) PayPal - Beware, charge backs are very common when dealing with non-tangible (virtual) items. If you take this route be sure you trust the other member of the trade.

7.) Western Union - The fees can be quite steep and I've heard reports of people having bad experiences with customer service.

8.) Money Order - Must be mailed and can can be cancelled/revoked unless they are cashed at a postal office. The post office will verify the legitimacy of the money order on site unlike a bank who may remove the funds from your account if the money order does not go through.

9.) MoneyGram - Requires identification to receive funds, may be the safest way to sell virtual items.

PayPal Trades:

10.) Check if the member you are trading with is PayPal verified. Though this doesn't mean that they won't rip you off, it does mean that they jumped through at least a couple hoops when setting up their PayPal account. Use the following link by changing 'email' to the email address of the user who you are sending money to or receiving money from. https://www.paypal.com/us/verified/pal=email

Item "Testing":

11.) Leaving a game without temp perming is a way to test if an item is duped, but it is not fool proof. Items will only "poof" if they 'clash' with an item that has the same hidden identification code. I (IAmNumbaOne) have had items disappear after entering and exiting thousands of games. Though this is extremely rare it is possible if only a few copies of an item were made. For your own sake do not take a few non-perming save and exits as proof of an items legitimacy.

History:

12.) If a history is given try to verify the history of the item from everyone on the history list.

13.) If the item is named be sure to find out who named it and if they have had the name in their possession since it was named.

Bulk Trades:

14.) If you are trading a large amount of items try to keep them on as few characters as possible. Doing this minimizes the amount of screen shots you will have to take and the amount of organization you will have to do. It also decreases the likelihood of something going wrong (i.e temp ban, realm down, etc) which may cause unneeded stress for both parties.

Feel free to reply to this thread containing information you believe needs to be added.

Members that are helping you trade safer by adding their tips:

IAmNumbaOne

VeRSeS

• 2 weeks later...

How moneygram works

Finding a location near you

www.Moneygram.com Type in your zip code and they will give you a list of locations to send/receive money near you

How it works

To send money you can either go to a location near your or do it online. All you need is the persons name and state. You have a choice or sending it instant (Cost more but gets there in 10 mins) or 3 day (Saves you money).

To put up the money you go to a location near you, Fill out the receive money from. You will need the name of the person thats sending it, how much there sending, what state there sending it from, A picture id, and a confirmation number that the sender will give you once the money has been sent.

Thats about it, pretty simple and safe. Feel free to add anything i left out.

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to add that you CANNOT chargeback a paypal payment as gift. If you try to it says something like "You cannot attempt to resolve this money transfer, as it was not a purchase of goods or services. Please contact the receiver directly." I just wanted to clear that up because everyone is always so sketchy about paypal when there is in fact ways to avoid chargebacks.

I just wanted to add that you CANNOT chargeback a paypal payment as gift. If you try to it says something like "You cannot attempt to resolve this money transfer, as it was not a purchase of goods or services. Please contact the receiver directly." I just wanted to clear that up because everyone is always so sketchy about paypal when there is in fact ways to avoid chargebacks.

If you send it as a gift it makes your account limited.

My friend said this isn't true he got charged back like 500 bucks and he thought it was fine cause he sent it as a gift.

My friend said this isn't true he got charged back like 500 bucks and he thought it was fine cause he sent it as a gift.

Yea, i look at it like this, with all the problems people have had with paypal scams why risk large amounts of cash threw paypal whenyou can pay a extra 20 to 30$ to send it threw moneygram or w/u and you know for a fact it wont be charged back or stop payment lol

• 4 weeks later...

It is correct that it is not possible to file a dispute when something has been sent as a gift, but that doesn't make it a safe method to do transactions. If the sender calls their bank or credit card company and reverses the transaction paypal will not fight them and will just reverse the transaction. Don't count on paypal to be safe and don't use it if you're not 100% positive you're trading with a reputable buyer.

It is correct that it is not possible to file a dispute when something has been sent as a gift, but that doesn't make it a safe method to do transactions. If the sender calls their bank or credit card company and reverses the transaction paypal will not fight them and will just reverse the transaction. Don't count on paypal to be safe and don't use it if you're not 100% positive you're trading with a reputable buyer.

what bp123 said is true. i would also like to say that im glad you guys posted a very comprehensive guide to preventing scams. thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

what bp123 said is true. i would also like to say that im glad you guys posted a very comprehensive guide to preventing scams. thank you.

Your welcome. If only more people would follow this guide the staff here on pa wouldnt have to deal with banning scammers because there wouldnt be any cept for unperm sellers and we cant really do anything about that except ban.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am almost ALWAYS available to mediate trades as well as hold items and everything else, I will help as much as possible for anything anyone might need just pm me and if I cannot help I will find someone that can help, I am always reachable at the following email so if you don't see me online for a few hours email me.

cwalsh_00@hotmail.com