The Positive News Thread.

madd-hatter

• Administrator

The news programs on television today attempt to poison our minds with fear and distrust. They portray a world of corruption, crime, violence, and death and for whatever reason, someone, somewhere decided that, every day, the public needs to hear and see things that are unimportant negative influences on our lives.

I'm sick of it.

This thread is for the reporting of the beautiful and hopeful things this world, country, and society has to offer. Many great and wonderful inspiring stories happen every minute and go without mention in favor of media fabricated 100% grade "A" pure bullshit.

Please contribute stories that have inspired you.

So here we go:

Articles:

Videos:

Apr 7th - 10 year old basketball prodigy Jaylin Fleming

As to the video you posted; I've always felt that talent is only limited by ones intelligence. We see time and time again, kids with tremendous athletic talent fail in their respective sport. And most often this is a by-product of a lack of intelligence. That lil dude is solid, and smart. Good story.

About the premise of this thread; You're absolutely correct. "Drama" is most often a negative event. And for whatever reason human nature compels people to show greater interest in the negative. For example, When you slowly roll by an accident on your way to work and, like most others, you rubberneck trying to take a peak. When you look and don't see something stunning (blood, death, severe injuries) you roll away somewhat disappointed. Not that you want people to get hurt or killed. But if they do, we want to see it. Now we have a story to tell, people will listen and they will be far more interested in your story of trauma than something like witnessing a man help a handicapped person cross the street.

Nothing comes to mind as far as something to add to this thread, but I'll think of something.

BTW...grats on the promo Don. When this board roars back to life, you will do good work to drive this site. We all know that.

I know what you're trying to do here, but there is something called the Happy Herald where I live that reports only positive news. That paper is shit. It reports very few things that matter and it has terrible writers.

There is a reason so much death and destruction is on news. Its what matters. Fear mongering is a sensationalized by product. a 50/50 positive/negative split without sensationalism would be an ideal news program.

That being said, I have no positive news to share right now, but i did see a great article yesterday about a major league pitcher who overcame depression to pitch his first game in 19 months.

• Administrator
I know what you're trying to do here, but there is something called the Happy Herald where I live that reports only positive news. That paper is shit. It reports very few things that matter and it has terrible writers.

Yeah, yeah.

Still, I'll find sources and do it my own way, which is usually the best way.

Ruk, thanks for the support.

• Administrator

And on the positive side of news today:

My father was arrested this morning for punching and choking a co-worker. He is currently in jail @ Indy, scheduled to meet with a judge at 8 pm. I think he is likely to lose his job of 19 years, both of my parents are going to freak out, and somehow, I have a feeling, this is going to make my life hell.

lihukfvbchksdvcugoubuhbvfuck.fuck.fuck.

• Administrator

My father was arrested this morning for punching and choking a co-worker. He is currently in jail @ Indy, scheduled to meet with a judge at 8 pm. I think he is likely to lose his job of 19 years, both of my parents are going to freak out, and somehow, I have a feeling, this is going to make my life hell.

I take it you do not live with your father?

Whyd he do that?

Wait a second, this isnt positive...

• Administrator

I'm awaiting my move in date to my new apt in bloomington. I'm staying in a house my parents own, that they usually rent, but happened to be vacant. It is very close to their house.

Whyd he do that?

No idea, no one has been aloud to talk to him, his appearance in front of a judge was pushed to 10pm. I have to go to bed now, work at 6:45

f'n lame

• Administrator

I'm awaiting my move in date to my new apt in bloomington. I'm staying in a house my parents own, that they usually rent, but happened to be vacant. It is very close to their house.

Whyd he do that?

No idea, no one has been aloud to talk to him, his appearance in front of a judge was pushed to 10pm. I have to go to bed now, work at 6:45

f'n lame

Indeed, keep us posted.

shit don goodluck with your dad and keep us posted.

on a positive note:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/07/22/...in5180169.shtml

"Now she can conquer her fear of snowboards by getting back on one".

WTF! Bitch done got crippled from sliding around on a silly board and now, thanks to a miracle in technology, she can try and do it again? WTF? Put that gimp ho back in a wheelchair where she's better off sittin at dick level so's I can serve her crippled ass some pitty-dick.

• Administrator

on a positive note:

WTF! Bitch done got crippled from sliding around on a silly board and now, thanks to a miracle in technology, she can try and do it again? WTF? Put that gimp ho back in a wheelchair where she's better off sittin at dick level so's I can serve her crippled ass some pitty-dick.

You're terrible, but I see your point.

on a positive note:

Well, jeez! I'm sick of that shit about "Get back on that horse and conquer your fears". Some fears are rational. And here we have this ignorant cunt with some gizmo shocking her spine into intermittent lapses of functionality, peg-leggin' her ass around like a drunken Frankenstein, and she's fucking talking about getting back on a god damn snow fucking board and doing the same god damn shit that crippled her in the first place?

How about this, toots, consider yourself lucky that you can at least do a decent impression of a human being walking on two legs and stay off the snowboard.

• Administrator

on a positive note:

Well, jeez! I'm sick of that shit about "Get back on that horse and conquer your fears". Some fears are rational. And here we have this ignorant cunt with some gizmo shocking her spine into intermittent lapses of functionality, peg-leggin' her ass around like a drunken Frankenstein, and she's fucking talking about getting back on a god damn snow fucking board and doing the same god damn shit that crippled her in the first place?

How about this, toots, consider yourself lucky that you can at least do a decent impression of a human being walking on two legs and stay off the snowboard.

That's fantastic.

• Administrator

Let's see how well I can summarize this...

Back in the fall, my dad tore his ACL. He was professionally treated and ordered to stay off of it for months. He was temporarily confined to a bed in my parents living room, he needed help with the simplest of tasks.

So, he had to take a leave from his job, a job that paid for the entire operation, doctors visits, medication, and absence pay. While he was away, his responsibilities at work had to be temporal reassigned to others.

Upon his return to work, he found things had been fucked up. Everything that was supposed to get done, wasn't. Some things that were reported as being finished, weren't. And some things that actually did get done, weren't done right. So late winter/early spring he spent a lot of his time back tracking and fixing shit that should/shouldn't have happened.

Then two week ago, he takes a business related trip to Vegas for a conference. When he returns (last Monday,) a guy that had been one of those who had to pick up some of his responsibilities (and failed) was waiting for him with choice words and displeasure for the way things had been going on. My dad blows him off and walks into his office.

The guy follows my dad, and begins yelling at him, in his office. My dad shuts the door and tells him he's going to have to quiet down, sit down, and relax. The guy does not like this and gets up in my dad's face and pokes him with his right index finger in the chest. My dad told him not to do that; "Don't do that, my dad used to do that, I hated it, my dad's dead."

He told me he didn't know why he said "My dad's dead" at the end. His dad has been dead for 20-some years, I've never met/seen him. But regardless, he thinks the guy took it as a threat and then poked my dad hard, again the right index finger in the chin. (seriously, who pokes someone in the chin?) Anyways, this pissed my dad off... He bit the guys finger, chomped down on it hard like a pittbull and would not let go. At the same time, my dad used his left hand to wrap around the guys neck and forced him back up against a wall with his right hand cocked back ready to jab. (My dad is 6'1", 230lbs)

The guy started screaming and my dad released him and he ran out of his office. My dad turned around and called the police, informing them he had just been assaulted, and they were on their way. Then my dad's boss came in, furious, cussing, and informed my dad he was fired and he's lucky he doesn't call the police. My dad informed him that he already had himself and the boss became more furious. (He wanted to keep it in-house)

The cops got there. The guy had marks on his neck and his finger was fucked up and bleeding so they arrest my dad on battery charges and he spends 11am-10pm in a jail cell, sitting in a chair (if he stood up, they told him to sit down) and they did not feed him. He had to face a judge at 11pm. There was a no contact order put on him for the building he works in, his boss, and the guy that assaulted him. He was told he could not have any weapons or firearms in his possession (including at home.) He was stripped of all company property (2010 Ford Explored, iPhone, GPS, bunch of other shit.) And he was sent home...

So... Now he is outside doing yard work, same thing he's been doing since Tuesday. He has been in discussion with his lawyers and they have advised him to sue the council. I won't go into any of the legality details because I know he wouldn't want me to.

He may take weeks, months, years off work. He may sue and never work again. He has had jobs offered to him that he has been declining.

I don't know. I've had a history of not getting along with my father very well, mainly due to his 100% stressed-out all-the-fuckin'-time dumb-ass job. But that excuse is no longer available so I guess we'll see what happens.

Cool.

• 1 month later...