Cain's PM

madd-hatter

• Administrator
this was a very difficult message for me to write, I want everyone to know that right off the bat. I have been putting it off for about a month now.

I have been running this or other D2 sites for about 6 years now, and for me this is the end of the line.

after the HUGE disappointment of the site's 5th birthday party, I decided to give myself 6 months away from the site and see how I felt about things.

well, it's been 6 months, and I am done.

between working 2 jobs and a family I rarely get to see, I simply do not have the time or energy to dedicate to this anymore.

I HAVE NO INTENTION OF CLOSING THE SITE DOWN. all forum gold, posts counts, and all of that will remain intact.

all I am doing is stepping away from D2, the site itself will continue to run, but I have turned off new user registration.

I honestly had a lot of intentions for this place, but as sometimes happens, priorities and interests change. that's life.

I want ALL OF YOU to know how very much I appreciated and enjoyed doing this. I wouldn't have spent over $20,000 and thousands of hours the last 6 years otherwise.

there are way too many names and events that have occurred for me to try and list them and reminisce, suffice it to say I loved each and every moment of it.

to the staff: awesome job, I couldn't have done it without you...I never really gave you guys the attention and praise you deserve, for that I apologize. but I want you to know thanks for that, really.

if one of the staff wants to carry the torch onward, I would be happy to turn the keys over...however, all properties and interests will remain mine. I do intend to come back for D3 after all.

there will be a point that I move the site to a hosted service...I have already decommissioned all of my servers except for this one, so I hope to have that done in the coming weeks.

thanks for all the fish, see you all when Diablo 3 hits, hopefully next year.

much love...

cain

*sniff*

:)

What do we think about this?

Me... I'm a little confused.

I don't know anything about server costs, loads, or how to handle them. I do know I don't want to see the site decline any further for any reason and that means user registration needs to remain active. He can't be criticized for this action because I don't think anyone else (or everyone else combined) could have done as much as he has done, and attempted to do, with this website.

With that said, despite this saddening news, he deserves an applause and a break. (I don't care what he says, he'll be back, this site is his child.) We have to show him we care.

Looking forward... What do WE do?

I will remain here, active, with the remaining dedicated users I have come to call my friends. A lot of us have grown up with each other, and discussed many topics and issues. I don't want to lose that install base, it's been multiple years in the making.

D3 still has all the potential to revive this site past it's original peak. We have to keep it alive to give it that chance.

Work needs to be done. Forums need to be merged. Things need to be rewritten. Accessibility to active threads needs to be improved.

I am willing to give all these matters my full attention despite a full time job, school, and my own personal issues. This place means a lot to me, and I know it means a lot to you. (You're still here.) We will stay and rebuild together, and one day it will be hard to believe this even happened.

Tell us your thoughts and ideas.

^_^

I agree with you Don, Tenjuna has done a tremendous job over the years with PostAbout and he deserves a very big applause. :)

With that said, I'm staying. I have been on this site for nearly 4 years and I plan on staying until the end. And by the end, I mean the "can not load page" end. Even with the declining activity of the site, I still get pms weekly from people searching for a mediator and I keep helping them. Gharbor is the most active forum of the site and I think it will stay active for a long time.

But I agree with you Don, I think new users registration should stay on, even if it allows only one new member per week.

If Cain comes back, like you think he will, well great. If not, well its a good bye to a man I will remember for many many years. I still remember how the site looked like when I joined, who was active, who gave me my first warn ^_^ and how I came to learn how to use Dtrades and become a respected member here. This is the first site I was able to call home and I dont want to leave it.

Now about the site. I am not entirely convinced it needs restructuration (if thats even a word?). Maybe it does, maybe it doesnt. I will wait to see other people's opinion.

fuck I almost teared when I saw the pm

man I post here and there still And like Bruno I've been around too long to just see it go to waste

I too have tried to improve site resgistration by spamming channels and what not back in the day when I used to play but now I don't even play d2 anymore and honestly it's sad to see the site die like this

I'll be here till the end no matter what

as for opening site registration I kind of see where Cain is coming from where he doesn't know I he can deal with new members but I too honestly think it should remain open

we've always been a hospitable community and I really see no harm in keeping it open

Not really surprised...nor do I honestly care. I come here to talk to maybe 4 people at best.

Look, its sad....I get that, but Its been a long long time coming and it really shouldnt surprise any of you. I think its a little asinine to keep the site running but turn off user registration? Dont know what that accomplishes...

but whatever. good bye.

figured i'd pop in to say hi as well. Cain you put a lot of hard work into this site and it was one hell of a site and i've definitely had a lot of fun and had many good memories from using this site, its looking nicer than it every was but unfortunately with the declining popularity of d2 and there's not much to do about that. here's hoping D3 sparks new life into the place however and if my lappy can run it i'll be sure pick myself up a copy and pay more visits here when it's appropriate. it sure is looking like one hell of a game, same goes for SC2

:crai:

I don't know anything about server costs, loads, or how to handle them. I do know I don't want to see the site decline any further for any reason and that means user registration needs to remain active. He can't be criticized for this action because I don't think anyone else (or everyone else combined) could have done as much as he has done, and attempted to do, with this website.

With that said, despite this saddening news, he deserves an applause and a break. (I don't care what he says, he'll be back, this site is his child.) We have to show him we care.

I will remain here, active, with the remaining dedicated users I have come to call my friends. A lot of us have grown up with each other, and discussed many topics and issues. I don't want to lose that install base, it's been multiple years in the making.

D3 still has all the potential to revive this site past it's original peak. We have to keep it alive to give it that chance.

Work needs to be done. Forums need to be merged. Things need to be rewritten. Accessibility to active threads needs to be improved.

I am willing to give all these matters my full attention despite a full time job, school, and my own personal issues. This place means a lot to me, and I know it means a lot to you. (You're still here.) We will stay and rebuild together, and one day it will be hard to believe this even happened.

I fully agree with you as well. I, too, grew up with this site (as weird as that sounds). Being the D2 addicts we all were, we all developed a bond of friendship. Sure, we had some major douschebags along the way, but we really did become a (for lack of a better word) family. (At least I know this is true for staff).

After all, I joined the site when I was 14? Damn that was a while back. After being here for about 6 years, and now being 19, I look back and think about all of the memories this site holds. Late night vent chats, trist runs, baal runs, the whole 9 yards. You can't buy enjoyment like that. Those are times that you will probably never forget..

I really want to thank Cain for all the memories he provided me with this site. Sure, I wasted my life on the crack that we call "Diablo 2," but at least we spent it together, as friends. And I truly thank you for that.

With that said, I strongly believe that once D3 comes out, there will be a new life in this site. It will become what it was in it's hay-day, a trading/social site. The problem is that D2 is dead and people have dropped off the game, which then means they drop off the site. But of course, there are some lurkers left behind that are just too emotionally dependent on the site to "drop it off."

Here's to more memories when the site picks up again!

P.S. thanks for the inspiration Don ^_^

EDIT:

And no logan, nobody wants you here!

I'll probably still poke my head in from time to time and cause a little trouble for you mods, like I always do. Haha, give you something to do!

I've been with this since before I could drive a car, now I'm a year and a half into being able to buy alcohol. I miss when this site was thriving but those days are over. Maybe D3 will bring it back, maybe not. Who knows? I'm gonna miss the old fat bald guy regardless, even though I always gave him shit. This has been a long time coming, I'm not surprised but all things must come to an end sooner or later.

I fully agree with you as well. I, too, grew up with this site (as weird as that sounds). Being the D2 addicts we all were, we all developed a bond of friendship. Sure, we had some major douschebags along the way, but we really did become a (for lack of a better word) family. (At least I know this is true for staff).

After all, I joined the site when I was 14? Damn that was a while back. After being here for about 6 years, and now being 19, I look back and think about all of the memories this site holds. Late night vent chats, trist runs, baal runs, the whole 9 yards. You can't buy enjoyment like that. Those are times that you will probably never forget..

I really want to thank Cain for all the memories he provided me with this site. Sure, I wasted my life on the crack that we call "Diablo 2," but at least we spent it together, as friends. And I truly thank you for that.

With that said, I strongly believe that once D3 comes out, there will be a new life in this site. It will become what it was in it's hay-day, a trading/social site. The problem is that D2 is dead and people have dropped off the game, which then means they drop off the site. But of course, there are some lurkers left behind that are just too emotionally dependent on the site to "drop it off."

EDIT:

omfg i was like 12 or 13 when i joined here..... gonna be 18 this yeaaar brah

omg so much for my 600 eff gee

EDIT:

omfg i was like 12 or 13 when i joined here..... gonna be 18 this yeaaar brah

omg so much for my 600 eff gee

So has your FB picture of you talking to the internets on your little wireless microphone gotten you any girlfriends yet?

Fag.

figured i'd pop in to say hi as well. Cain you put a lot of hard work into this site and it was one hell of a site and i've definitely had a lot of fun and had many good memories from using this site, its looking nicer than it every was but unfortunately with the declining popularity of d2 and there's not much to do about that. here's hoping D3 sparks new life into the place however and if my lappy can run it i'll be sure pick myself up a copy and pay more visits here when it's appropriate. it sure is looking like one hell of a game, same goes for SC2

HI frewnd

oh good times, i remember our duet duels in public games with my pnb/bvc and your griz hammerdin. ohh do i miss those days

That sucks, maybe I shouldn't have made cain play Mafia Wars after all.... <3

But I don't think turrnning off new registration is a good idea, I'd be happy to take over the job of screening new users, as long as we can some (even a few, is better then none,) and once patch 1.13 is released officaly to the regular realms Ill try to get new members to join by about any means possible. Dtrades/Postabout has been a community of awsome for me to admire, hate and laugh with for years, from Futon's days, to when we were jabbing Enzo with pointy sticks, and all through the anti-JSP, and anti-dtrading days (anyone have those pics I shooped of Nfaguars? Post em' up in the BG.)

But alas, all good things must come to an end, until of course, we shoot it full of Zombie Juice! Viva la Postabout!

And someone should realy remove my last 10% warn, look how old that fucker is.

Somebody should scoop up this site and wait for D3. Then again, the decision to change the website's name away from the Diablo franchise (DTrades), by name of course, probably wasn't the best decision for the long term.

I never understood the thinking behind the name "PostAbout", or how that was meant to influence a gaming website's culture? This place could be quite lucrative still, if someone kept it on life support until the release of D3.

Cain said he wasn't shutting down the site. There are still a handful of active moderators, and another handful of active members. I think the site will be okay until we get general release date for diablo3 at which point I am assuming that Cain will comeback and lead us to the promised land.

Thats the problem. You're talking about a year or two. This thing costs money to run, and someone has to fork it over.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in my cousins basement when he told me about dtrades. He said I could buy some items from people to get started. It took a week for my registration to get processed. I checked every minute of those seven days. When I did get registed I was beyond excited I made a post everywhere I could. I got to know many people we discussed everything from builds to prices to music and turtles. How can we blame tenjy he has done SO much for this site clearly he is suffering a little burnout, as soon as d3 comes out I think he will be back.