The Thread of Ignorance: Blu Ray

cransnam

they loook the same and cost more... fukking stupid..they last longer than dvds??

all my dvds still work so wtf..bullshit.. Dvd actually was > vhs...but bluray FU.

Are you using HDMI or component? Is your tv HD? I've watched pirates of the caribbean on normal dvd then my old man rented it on blu-ray and I could tell the difference. Picture was sharper, could see things further off in the background. But other then that and the 4 other bluray movies I watched. I don't use/buy blueray.

it is better but is it worth the extra $$ to pay for the blu ray player then the more expensiver blu ray discs... i dont think so.

Wait another year or so, the price will go down and it'll be like getting a dvd player. I got mine free with my tv though, at the time they were selling for 900 bucks.(the blue ray players I mean) >.<

• Administrator
Your rich parents didn't buy you a HDTV for your dorm room at Duke?

i think you got the wrong guy.

You're right, I was thinking of that other annoying twelve year old...

Whoops.

Anyways, allow me to respond with something appropriate.

You're an idiot, get your eyes checked.

• 2 weeks later...

stfu nerds, got a ps3 and my tvs are all Hd and yes i got the Hdmi cable but i only play the games blu ray look exact same wtf you nerds buying it for...dvd is exact same shit except its cheaper and you can burn them etc, if people switch over to blu ray like they did dvd then Pc are gonna have to be made cd/dvd/blu ray rewritable everything will be more expensive and sony will have lcok down on that shit Fuck that..

stfu nerds, got a ps3 and my tvs are all Hd and yes i got the Hdmi cable but i only play the games blu ray look exact same wtf you nerds buying it for...dvd is exact same shit except its cheaper and you can burn them etc, if people switch over to blu ray like they did dvd then Pc are gonna have to be made cd/dvd/blu ray rewritable everything will be more expensive and sony will have lcok down on that shit Fuck that..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....eTabStoreType=1

idk what kinda weed this kid's smoking.

• Administrator

Are you watching like Predator 1 on blu-ray or are you just blind?

• Administrator

http://gizmodo.com/5433090/i-dont-think-yo...u+ray-really-is

You have both. It's not a "chose this one or that one" argument.

Buy DVD's for Home Alone, Reservoir Dogs, burning movies, and quantity media files.

Buy Blu ray for PS3 games, 5.1, 7.1, Inglorious Bastards, and District 9.

DVD's cannot match the resolution, DVD's cannot match the sound.

Zika, your argument is baseless, ignorant, and childish.

http://gizmodo.com/5433090/i-dont-think-yo...u+ray-really-is

You have both. It's not a "chose this one or that one" argument.

Buy DVD's for Home Alone, Reservoir Dogs, burning movies, and quantity media files.

Buy Blu ray for PS3 games, 5.1, 7.1, Inglorious Bastards, and District 9.

DVD's cannot match the resolution, DVD's cannot match the sound.

Zika, your argument is baseless, ignorant, and childish.

blu-ray will fail 2 beat dvds like the people who buy it :thumb:

• 1 month later...

blu ray is stupid and so is "high definition" what a load of crap...i cant believe people actually believe that there is any discernible difference in the visual quality of 480i and 1080p.

ugh and they just increased disk capacity to 33.4gigabytes...who needs that much storage on 1 disc....just a waste of space if you ask me. People will end up buying like a 50 pack to back up their info end up only using 1 disc and than tossing the rest into a landfill. Sorry mother earth guess you'll just have to take another one for the team.

Wow...

Yeah, this is a pretty ignorant thread...

First of all, anyone who has gone to BestBuy, Target, or Walmart recently and looked at DVDs will have noticed that Blu Ray and DVD are within about $2 - $3 of each other for a lot of movies now.

Secondly, more storage space means more information, more information means more use of 'lossless' audio and lossless video (or digitally stored media using a much higher sampling rate).

Thirdly, if you do not own a 1080p screen or a good 5.1 or 7.1 audio system, it's a waste.

As for 7.1 being a myth, it's not. It can either be encoded as an audio option, or you can have an intelligent receiver that will redo the channels for you (consult your local mid-range or better receiver by: Sony, Yamaha, Denon, and so on)... which implies you care about audio, and you've hopefully gone component. I run a 7.2 surround system, and it is awesome for music or video.

As for Laser Disc... LD was no better in video than DVD. What LD had going for it was: Dolby 5.1 Surround, and better yet, uncompressed raw stereo audio. Which, is truly lossless and was amazing. The problem was, DVD was much more practical to store and was cheaper.

Anyways... clearly I should leave this thread to the experts who obviously know what they are talking about.

Sorry for chiming in.

I don't know what it is but I have seen a few 1080p torrents that look better than the actual blu-ray. It might have something to do with my settings though. Torrents can't do 7.1 though :D .

Lol 5.1 is good enough, all my blu-ray rips are 5.1 XD

Yeah I don't really notice much of a difference in audio quality with my torrents, I have also learned from my limited experience in car audio that fewer speakers = better sound quality. 5.1 is good enough for me especially considering I have an external full of blu-ray rips and they were free. Its also a plus that my ghetto pentium 4 can actually transcode them under the highest settings onto my ps3.

edit: Nice thread title Don, even though you cheated me out of the playoffs in fantasy football.

I would beg to differ on the fewer speakers = better quality statement.

Two things are true:

Fewer speakers will cost less to get higher quality components than a 5.1 or 7.1 system of equal quality to a good stereo set. Simply, more good speakers cost more in materials and so on.

Secondly, to get 5.1 and 7.1 to sound good, to sound right, to be balanced correctly, take a lot more effort then stereo. And that's simply the nature of constructive and destructive interference in compressed air waves.

7.1 is wonderful, if you do it right.

Here's the other problem with lots of speakers. My statement about destructive interference. The more sources you have for sound (read: speakers / sub-woofers) the less space or, maybe I should rephrase as 'the more pinpointed the location' for optimal listening is. For example, if you set up 7.1 and have a couch in the center of the room, you can probably set it up so the whole couch is near optimal in sound quality. But, say you then add a couch on the far left of center where the audio is set up for. Well, the audio could plum suck there. Much easier to set up an awesome stereo set up, and not develop as many bad dead zones.

See this site for example:

http://www.falstad.com/ripple/

Granted, this is ever so slightly off topic, at this point.

I would beg to differ on the fewer speakers = better quality statement.Two things are true:Fewer speakers will cost less to get higher quality components than a 5.1 or 7.1 system of equal quality to a good stereo set. Simply, more good speakers cost more in materials and so on.Secondly, to get 5.1 and 7.1 to sound good, to sound right, to be balanced correctly, take a lot more effort then stereo. And that's simply the nature of constructive and destructive interference in compressed air waves.7.1 is wonderful, if you do it right.Here's the other problem with lots of speakers. My statement about destructive interference. The more sources you have for sound (read: speakers / sub-woofers) the less space or, maybe I should rephrase as 'the more pinpointed the location' for optimal listening is. For example, if you set up 7.1 and have a couch in the center of the room, you can probably set it up so the whole couch is near optimal in sound quality. But, say you then add a couch on the far left of center where the audio is set up for. Well, the audio could plum suck there. Much easier to set up an awesome stereo set up, and not develop as many bad dead zones.See this site for example:http://www.falstad.com/ripple/Granted, this is ever so slightly off topic, at this point.
The guitar in your sig is fucking hideous.
I would beg to differ on the fewer speakers = better quality statement.Two things are true:Fewer speakers will cost less to get higher quality components than a 5.1 or 7.1 system of equal quality to a good stereo set. Simply, more good speakers cost more in materials and so on.Secondly, to get 5.1 and 7.1 to sound good, to sound right, to be balanced correctly, take a lot more effort then stereo. And that's simply the nature of constructive and destructive interference in compressed air waves.7.1 is wonderful, if you do it right.Here's the other problem with lots of speakers. My statement about destructive interference. The more sources you have for sound (read: speakers / sub-woofers) the less space or, maybe I should rephrase as 'the more pinpointed the location' for optimal listening is. For example, if you set up 7.1 and have a couch in the center of the room, you can probably set it up so the whole couch is near optimal in sound quality. But, say you then add a couch on the far left of center where the audio is set up for. Well, the audio could plum suck there. Much easier to set up an awesome stereo set up, and not develop as many bad dead zones.See this site for example:http://www.falstad.com/ripple/Granted, this is ever so slightly off topic, at this point.
The guitar in your sig is fucking hideous.
It is vomit inducing. Like.. SRSLY.

nothing you say will stop companies from wanting to grow and find ways to reel in profit.

btw your tv must have been falsely advertised or get your eyes checked b/c i can tell the difference between BD and dvd with my ps3, hdmi cable, and 1080p/120hz tv