I just totaled my car

madd-hatter

• Administrator

I've never totaled a car, but I have been a couple "comprehensive" accidents (not my fault, not with another person, and almost unavoidable). Because they were comprehensive the deductible was less and my rates did not increase (unfortunately this isn't the situation you're in). If you haven't had any claims with your insurance company before they may cut you some slack on your first offense, but unfortunately this is not guaranteed. Glad to hear everyone is okay and since you seem to be in a solid state of mind I really don't have much advice for you.

Best of luck.

EDIT: Fell like posting some pictures of the car?

Under those circumstances, anything labeled as "full coverage" should take care of it. As far as your insurance rates go, wait until your insurance company pays out and takes care of the claim, and then go and shop around for the lowest insurance you can find. Switching carriers after you get in a ticket or a wreck will save you piles of money over the long term, since most insurance companies treat accidents you've been in and tickets you've gotten while they were your provider differently than the rest of the accidents or tickets on your record.

I think you will be OK because of weather conditions and the fact that you were sober and nobody was hurt. I've totaled one of my cars before and I was sober, it was slippery but I rear ended a guy who braked all of a sudden for no reason at all and it was still my fault (I looked left for a split second at a turn and boom - airbag). Lost my car but whatever shit happens. I was just happy my new Rayban glasses weren't broken (fucked up aint it).

glad to here no one got hurt. no clue about the insurance and what not but this might cheer you up...

i was driving through a parking garage last week and i saw this one girl "try" and pull into a parking space... she ended up scraping/denting the whole side of the car on the right of the parking space while pulling in. when she tried to pull out she scraped/dented the whole side of the car on the left.

she got out and started crying hysterically. it was quite amusing.

Yeah I got into a car wreck Sept 30th. My friend and I were driving home from class (we skipped and had beer) and we hit a woman. She was making a left turn on a busy intersection and and didn't yield to us (we had a green light) we hit her at about 50 mph. My friend was the one driving (she had one beer) while I was completely tanked (4 long islands, 4 pbrs and 3 shots of pepe do that to a person). While my side sustained the most damage she got hurt more than me. She got whiplash, bruises, and 2 chipped teeth. Thank God I was drunk during the accident because I made it a point to push my seat all the way back. The car is totaled and she has to visit the chiropractor every 3 days for adjustments. She told me that I am also covered by her auto insurance to visit him but I feel fine. She'll have to pay a $1000 deductible but she'll get whatever her car was valued at plus compensation from missing work and other expenses.

Getting into an accident really fucks with you. I wasn't even hurt but I still have moments where I'm thinking about what could have happened. The best thing to do is thank your lucky stars and see what the police report and your insurance agent says.

First off, glad you and your girl are fine. Seatbelts?

What does your car blue book at?

I know plenty of cases wherein the reimbursement can be more than you paid for the car.

The adjuster will start adding up approximations and once he gets to the list price of your vehicle, he cuts you a check for that amount, be it more or less than you paid.

Odds are, you're gonna have fun shopping for a new car and look back and laugh about it. You're under the magic number of 25 years old, so there is a potential for an insurance hike. Consider that when choosing a new vehicle. Avoid sports cars and big motor/fast vehicles.

What model/make did you have? Mileage? Good condition/body shape? Previous to the accident, of course.

The fact that you sustained underbody/drive-train damage is good. It will likely be totaled. You do not want them "fixing" your car. Don't settle for that if you sustained any sort of frame damage. All that frame needs is a tweak and that car is shit-canned.

• Administrator

I appreciate your guys' support.

Car is/was a '05 Malibu LS with right under 100,000 miles, not even scratched prior to the accident.

The car gets inspected Wednesday, I get a rental tomorrow.

I'll get some pictures on here later, the only photos taken are on my mom's and g/f's cell phones.

Rike - Yeah, my back and neck are now sore, nothing major, I've experienced the same pain lifting weights. I should be able to stretch out of it with-in the next few days. I would mention it to the insurance co. but I don't want to risk my rate going up.

• 3 weeks later...

that sucks man. about 2 years ago me and my buddy were driving home late and drunk and slammed into a pole doing 83, its a long story to say that we only knew we were going that fast because the cop chasing us radard us, but he did. i posted the pics up on here way back, pole indented right through the engine and it dropped out the bottom, our lucky asses waslked away with a couple cracked ribs.

• Administrator
that sucks man. about 2 years ago me and my buddy were driving home late and drunk and slammed into a pole doing 83, its a long story to say that we only knew we were going that fast because the cop chasing us radard us, but he did. i posted the pics up on here way back, pole indented right through the engine and it dropped out the bottom, our lucky asses waslked away with a couple cracked ribs.

Long time no see.

too bad you didn't die. i can only imagine what would have happened if you hit someone else..

Its a shame you didn't die.

You deserve to.

You deserve to.

thats a little harsh but agreed.

You deserve to.

thats a little harsh but agreed.

I don't believe so, if youre stupid enough to drink and drive you deserve to lose your life.

• Administrator

I paid $6,900 total for the Malibu, insurance gave me $8,300 and I came out with $4,200 after dealing with the bank loan.

Looking at Civics, Corollas, and Mazda3's and 6's on Cars.com, hoping to buy a vehicle this weekend.

$8,000-12,000/'04-'07/<70,000 miles/sunroof

Still don't have pictures on a PC or I would upload them.

I'm working a lot, Demon's Souls is out, MW2 is soon to come, and I need to beat the God of War collection before March. Girlfriend can't stop playing Mini Ninja's and whopping my ass in fantasy football.

Enterprise rented me a 2010 HHR base model. 900 miles, It had an MP3 input but it sucked dick overall. Worst visibility I've seen in a vehicle.

NBA season started 3 day ago.

• Administrator

I bought the '05 for $11,400 total, including taxes, dock fees, everything.

It drives like a BMW, pulls it's weight and accelerates like a charm, yet it's an economy car. 31 city/38 HW. They filled up the tank when I bought it, I drove it 65 miles home and the gauge was still on full.

EX special edition, full features, factory tinted windows, power sunroof, 6 disc cd changer with mp3 input. No stains, scratches, missing components, burn holes. 55.5 k miles. It is definately a well cared for vehicle, I'm thinking it's spent most of it's time in someone's garage. 10,000 miles a year.

Put 5 grand cash down on it, bank loan for $7,400 at 5.99%. I will probably pay it off and own it fully by this time next year.

This has turned out very well for me. I'm incredibly satisfied with my purchase. :blush2:

Thank you guys for your interest.

I bought the '05 for $11,400 total, including taxes, dock fees, everything.

It drives like a BMW, pulls it's weight and accelerates like a charm, yet it's an economy car. 31 city/38 HW. They filled up the tank when I bought it, I drove it 65 miles home and the gauge was still on full.

EX special edition, full features, factory tinted windows, power sunroof, 6 disc cd changer with mp3 input. No stains, scratches, missing components, burn holes. 55.5 k miles. It is definately a well cared for vehicle, I'm thinking it's spent most of it's time in someone's garage. 10,000 miles a year.

Put 5 grand cash down on it, bank loan for $7,400 at 5.99%. I will probably pay it off and own it fully by this time next year.

This has turned out very well for me. I'm incredibly satisfied with my purchase. :blush2:

Thank you guys for your interest.

Sounds really sweet.

Congrats man