xbox 360 technical question

AXO

so right now i have an older 360 without the hdmi port, so i have my 360 connected to my tv with component cables and i have the 360 plugged into my surround system with a toslink cable. my surround system only supports digital optical and digital coax cables it does not support hdmi. I was thinking of getting a new 360 so i can use hdmi and get 1080p res and use my tv to its potential. This is my question, i still want to use my surround system, so can i connect the 360 via hdmi to my tv and then run an optical coax cable from my tv to the surround system? or will that not work? i dont wanna spend the money on a xbox with hdmi and not have my surround sound work. i would appreciate any input

when i go into console settings and select 1080p the screen goes blue and after 10 seconds it reverts back to the previous resolution, maybe my tv cant take 1080p through component cables?

...well i did some research my tv will only accept upto 1080i through component cables lol, so i guess i have to use the hdmi ports to get 1080p

• Administrator

You will not get 1080p through component.

You will get 1080p through HDMI.

You can directly connect a HDMI cable to any TV that supports it and directly connect a digital optical cable to your audio system. The 360 audio will automatically adjust itself and send its signal to your audio system while sending it's video signal through your HDMI cable to your TV. This is how I connect my Elite to my TV and audio system.

I have never heard of an optical coaxial cable.

Everything I just stated I am 100% sure of.

• Administrator
You will not get 1080p through component.

I assume you're just talking about his specific case? I'm 99.9% sure 1080p is supported via component.

It's a conditional issue. There are many things to consider but even after all things have been considered and confirmed, HDMI still offers a higher quality choice.

Examples:

Component - analog, HDMI - digital

Not all TV's support 1080p through component but if it's a 1080p TV then it (100%) does support HDMI.

Not all source's support 1080p through component but if they support a 1080p signal then it (100%) supports it through HDMI.

Component doesn't have HDMI's black levels nor it's black level TV and/or source options

HDMI signals are capable of being optimized through the source. (Which in most cases, this does produce a REALLY nice image.)

HDMI signals can be upgraded through firmware (not the cable, but the signal for that particular source), assuming that particular signal supports it.

etc...

In many cases there can be little to absolutely no difference. But, for his question, given the limited information he gave us, I gave him the safest and easiest answer. (And confirmed what he wanted to hear.)

The biggest pro to HDMI is the black level options. Most HDTV's are judged on their black levels (true black) and only HDMI can achieve it. + HDMI is a future proof connection, you won't encounter any future problems with it as one day you will with component.

So, yeah, your right but your just not taking everything into consideration.