Nova / TS Sorc

This build was originally made for ladder to do pit runs.

This build is excellent for Baal runs.

It's a lot of fun PvP and PvM. Mana burn can kill you. Umm... PvP it takes an awful lot to sorb you, and it's not good vs. a es fireballer using B Manas, but in terms of a fun / annoying char to play, and a great PvM char, this is one of my favorites. Also note that this char does AMAZING against orb sorces, basically it all glances off ES, and it does very well vs. Blizzers. Duels may require patience though.

Skills:

1 Frozen Armor

1 Charged Bolt

1 Lightning

1 Chain Lightning

1 Static Field

20 Nova

20 Thunder Storm

20 Light Mastery

20 Telekinesis

1 Teleport

17 Energy Shield (Enough to have 95% ES when BOing, See note on gear)

Suggested: 1 Wamth

After those are done, you can add more to Warmth, can help regen mana during PvP if you want... or you can add to lightning, it really really doesn't matter.

Gear:

Helm: Griffon's Eye(best you can get)

Armor: Up'd V Magi (can use lesser V Magi)

Gloves: Mage Fist (1x Up'd if you want)

Rings: 2x SoJ

Ammy: Armageddon Fletch

Belt: Arachnid Mesh

Boots: Grim Spur

Weapon: Infinity (87 str max req, lower is better, I use poleaxe)

On Switch:

Weapon: 6 BO CTA (crystal sword or flail)

Shield: Splendor (I use kite shield, Lidless Wall can be use as well, just want one to skill)

Optional:

You could use an ES CTA if you wanted to use less than 9x Light GCs and use B Manas.

Essential Charms:

20 / 20 / 10 Anni

20 / 20 Sorc Torch

(20 / 20 and 20 / 20 / 10 not needed, you will need at least +17 stats from both if you intend to wear Up'd V Magi though, as that puts you at 84 str with other gear. This sorc uses 0 stats in str or dex.)

Inventory Charms:

Standard:

9x Lightning Lifers

10x 20 / 17s

(this char works with so so charms, trust me, especially PvM, you can take a bunch out)

Note: Can also use B Manas or w/e.

Ok... more analysis on gearing...

PvP, your fhr sucks. Only standard fhr on this char is the 20% on Grim Spurs. This doesn't hit the 46% BP, the 60% BP, or the 86% BP, but, this isn't as bad as you might think. In your Griffon's it is not necessary to use a light facet. You are using Infinity as your weapon, you don't care much about giving enemies less res with other items, and let's face it... 10% more TS or Nova dmg isn't going to be nearly as pronounced as it will be on a pure light sorc. So... for fhr you Shael Griffon's and V Magi and now you have 60%. Use 3x 5% fhr / 17 mana small charms and a fhr Light GC, or... 2x Light GC with fhr and 1x 5% fhr sc and you're set. This also makes for a dramatic increase in performance vs. fire sorces, biggest problem with fire sorces and mind blasting sins is the fhr.

Um runes also help since you won't hit max res. I've never found not having max res a big determent though, ES saves you.

When you BO you cast TS, Frozen Armor, and ES. All your + to skills are on switch, not on Infinity.

Your merc will use Insight.

PvM stategy:

Generally tele to destination with shield and weapon from BO set.

Most monsters are super easy to kill if you use Static Field and then Nova.

PvP strategy:

Master the drunk tele. You will need to dodge, a lot.

Tele around and let TS do most of the damage. Use nova and spam occasionally, jump on them and jump off. Use lightning for ranged attacks, it should be doing near 6k max dmg, 5k for sure. You can be aggressive and hop on people and spam nova, though this is riskier. You can be defensive by dodging and letting TS hit.

I don't want to list strategies per different kinds of chars at the moment, maybe another time if requested.

Now... up to now I've left out stats... because there are a few ways to go here.

If you like lots of B Manas, have a 3s CTA, and want to use 6x B Manas in place of those 2x Light CGs you can use up to 16x B Manas and remain effective and most likely go 100% vita.

You can also stat such that you have 2 mana per life point. Or... you can just dump it all into energy like I did.

Any are fun.

Note:

You will NK people with your ES if you are not careful.

Anyways... this is a fun build to play. Very effective for Pit farming on ladder as well as Baaling anywhere. It is also lots of fun to PvP with, GM or BM.

Thanks to Paulcava (Jeff) and Bluernote (Jon) for making this build Ladder Season 2 and Jon for perfecting it.

- Corey

I've dueled 3 of these sorcs. Corey's(Orginal poster), Jeff's and Jon's(Orignal builder). Dunno if you mention Jeff's but eh.

From my personal experience these sorcs are by far the most annoying cvc build you will ever duel. Sorbing or not, they'll still slowly wither you away.

Pvm, well, there's no question they're probably the best and most efficient solo and/or group killer.

I'd beg to differ.

Most characters I've come across have not found it easy to sorb, except for high mana es sorces.

Also, it's a fun build.

But, Jon, with Mirae, and later Galda who used same gear but went lightning instead of TS and used 85% ES climbed ladders here and on JSP to 4th or 3rd. He did it without B Manas. But Jon was an exceptional dueler. This char can be fun in public PvP duels. This char requires a very skilled user to use PvP. Jon was on JSP and DTrades ladders.

I believe KGB also used this build, as a Nova / TS quite effectively on a non-DTrades non-JSP ladder for quite awhile.

Granted, personal experiences may vary.

- Corey

how are u suppose to beat any/all kinds of pallys when all they have to do is put on their lite res aura + tgods...

regular lite sorcs with 35k+ dmge cant even do that...

and ele druids will kill the shit outta u... u wont even touch them... all they have to do is sit there and cast cyclone armor every like 5-6x times they get hit by a nova... u wont even get to pierce through to their life.

trap sins = no match... especially with that lowww ass fhr...

bvcs = leap + no block + dr > ur low ranged nova... tgods > ts...

Druids are difficult, this is true.

Unless Pally is wearing light Aura, 2x P Wisps, and T Gods, then you're usually ok. In a PvP Caster ladder, that's not allowed anyways...

Trapper, yes, a good trapper will most likely kill you. Again though, you can have 86% fhr, which helps tons. Any char wearing a BM amount of stacked light res and sorb will sorb you better than one not, but... Conviction does a damn good job of breaking most people's light res.

And as for BvC, most BvC barbs die. If you know how to duel them. Yes, you end up in FHR animation, but it doesn't matter...

If you tele away from them constantly, or to where they leapt, and they try to WW you, you hit them with TS while in FHR animation and while teleing. BvC is not a big worry.

Generally speaking, in PvP, GM, this char does pretty well. In GM PvP with using max amount of allowed B Manas, this char does even better. And using 86% FHR can make it pretty damn good.

If you post again saying it sucks please post the gear that you used on your iteration of this build and maybe I can help you with it. Otherwise, I don't appreciate people posting statements about how a character sucks that they've never built, or have very little experience with.

If you would like to test me or my little brother vs. one of your characters on the Blood Moor in a GM duel, by all means, request to do so. I admit to a significant disadvantage vs. Windy druid and vs. Fireballer. But I will gladly take any of the others you claim this char sucks against in a GM duel. We can have PvP judge check all gear before duel, and make sure we don't go to stash.

Thank you,

Corey

in no way shape or form did i say this build sucks... im just saying in general... nova sorcs blow pvp... like i said im not trying to put u down... just stating the facts...

i myself 5-0'd galda and bluernote svs... so if u base ur opinions on them then think again.

i kno sorcs like the back of my hand... so i have a lot of experience with all kinda of sorcs (cept melee... fuk that)...

idk how u think u can kill an hdin with just ts... they can just hammer field and ur nova wont even touch them... every other pally will just uber charge u and u cant nova vs that... no block + dr + little fhr (even 86 u can get stuck easily) = death.

unless ur dueling a retarded barb u wont win... when u get close to the barb to get in a nova hit... u'll get ww'd so bad... no block/dr/low fhr = 1-2 hit death.

if this is just for a pub dueler then by all means sure anything can rape in pubs...

and sry... if u think this can ez a bmana blizzer then u are totally wrong... ur lowww ass resists = death... doesnt matter if ur 95 es...

cold mastery at lvl 1 will make ur res go south like an infinity... a good blizz damage will kill ur life in 3-4 hits even tho ur mana is still at half or higher...

When you're against a char like a hammerdin or barb you do not use Nova.

Nova is used as a finisher.

Nova used aggressively against Zons (Bow or FC / Light Java).

Lightning is used vs. Necro, in conjunction with TS.

Nova vs. Orb / Blizzer, but only when opportunity provides.

Hammerdin use TS.

WW use TS, finish with Nova, if you have enough mana / life, beware of zerk, it will break your ES most of the time.

Depending on trapper, your screwed or you use Nova and TS.

Ghosts, you need mass fhr, or you're cooked.

Windy, you don't stand a chance.

Non-Bmana Light sorc, TS. High ES Bmana Light sorc, or any sorc other than cold, you're screwed, you don't do enough damage.

Blizzer use TS, and hop and Nova them between their casts, you usually have better fcr than them and cast better.

Orber, do not tank orb directly, the bolts won't do jack to you. TS them and then drop Novas on them. This sorc eats bad orbers. Good orbers and it's a longer duel, rather defensive. But you can take a good orber. If you have patience there is no reason why an orber should ever kill you.

Smiter / Charger, keep them ranged, let TS eat at them. Eventually you should be able to use Nova as finisher. If they're using a BM amount of stacking or sorbing, you're either in for a long haul, or neither of you will be killing the other. They usually can't catch you, and you simply won't deal them damage, it's a pointless duel.

Fireballer, dodge like heck. They spam. If you can weave in and out of those bolts or balls, depending on that dueler's preference, and they are using all legit gear, you will eventually whittle them down and kill. If you get jumpy or impatient and stop dodging, you will die.

"Drunk Tele" is your friend. It looks kind of random, sometimes really. But it's all about your ability to dodge and weave in and out of what they shoot. This sorc is like glass, it can be shattered by too hard of a hit.

That's more of a char by char breakdown. If you feel I've forgotten one, post a request.

If you're dueling to win, generally, be defensive. If you're dueling for fun, do as you please.

- Corey

in no way shape or form did i say this build sucks... im just saying in general... nova sorcs blow pvp... like i said im not trying to put u down... just stating the facts...

i myself 5-0'd galda and bluernote svs... so if u base ur opinions on them then think again.

i kno sorcs like the back of my hand... so i have a lot of experience with all kinda of sorcs (cept melee... fuk that)...

idk how u think u can kill an hdin with just ts... they can just hammer field and ur nova wont even touch them... every other pally will just uber charge u and u cant nova vs that... no block + dr + little fhr (even 86 u can get stuck easily) = death.

unless ur dueling a retarded barb u wont win... when u get close to the barb to get in a nova hit... u'll get ww'd so bad... no block/dr/low fhr = 1-2 hit death.

if this is just for a pub dueler then by all means sure anything can rape in pubs...

and sry... if u think this can ez a bmana blizzer then u are totally wrong... ur lowww ass resists = death... doesnt matter if ur 95 es...

cold mastery at lvl 1 will make ur res go south like an infinity... a good blizz damage will kill ur life in 3-4 hits even tho ur mana is still at half or higher...

did u even ready any of this???

u basing pretty much ur whole dueling on ts... ts only hits on screen if u didnt know... and its not even that strong... 6k damge max?

sry but tgods > ts... ur conv wont stay on them if ur just trying to ts kill them sry buddy...

idk how u think u can just ts kill pallys... ever heard of desynch?

"WW use TS" ... how can u get near them when ur being leaped back? and if u do get near them when ur leap locked ww will eat u alive. like i said conv only stays on when ur near... so ur ts wont do anything... it will take atleast 70+ ts to kill a good baba wearing tgods if ur just running (tgods is gm)...

orbers sucked ever since the new patch so u can regard that...

idk y u think u can beat a blizzer... u act like ts does uber amounts of damage... sry buddy but a bmana blizzer will out tank u vs bmana nova any day.

ANY ES bmana sorc can beat ANY bone necro hands down... even when they sorb they barely do shit damage.

how are u suppose to beat any/all kinds of pallys when all they have to do is put on their lite res aura + tgods...

regular lite sorcs with 35k+ dmge cant even do that...

and ele druids will kill the shit outta u... u wont even touch them... all they have to do is sit there and cast cyclone armor every like 5-6x times they get hit by a nova... u wont even get to pierce through to their life.

trap sins = no match... especially with that lowww ass fhr...

bvcs = leap + no block + dr > ur low ranged nova... tgods > ts...

bluenote: pbballer687 doesnt even know that bluernote and galda are the same person

EternalDeath: yeah galda is on *bluernote lmao

bluenote: that's funny

bluenote: i could regear Galda

bluenote: she still exists

lol? i could post more of the conversation but i think you all get the point

btw build is okay that's a copy of mikes though jon's sorc was different then that

Looks good Corey.. Long time since I've seen this build put to good use.. Yes this is a strong PvM build, but it is an effective PvP build as well..

If I remember properly, Mirea was a TS build and Galda was a Nova/Light build..

And I copied Jon's Galda build on my Nova Sorces.. Only thing that was different was my life/mana split..

You can use Frosties and a FCR ring I believe, but you'll lose some damage to get a little more mana.. With infinity build damage is > then I think about 400-600 mana you gain w/ frosties..

I've seen Jon duel Craig back when he had hypothermia and even Craig couldn't 5-0 Jon.. I know PBaller is good on his sorces, but 5-0'n Jon, I highly doubt it (And no I'm not doubting your dueling capabilities).. Plus Jon always used Legit 20/17, 20/16s and most players doing SvS use unperm 70/15s.. Plus Jon doesn't even really get on D2 anymore, so beating somebody that hasn't played in like a year isn't much to rant and rave about.

Looks good Corey.. Long time since I've seen this build put to good use.. Yes this is a strong PvM build, but it is an effective PvP build as well..

If I remember properly, Mirea was a TS build and Galda was a Nova/Light build..

And I copied Jon's Galda build on my Nova Sorces.. Only thing that was different was my life/mana split..

You can use Frosties and a FCR ring I believe, but you'll lose some damage to get a little more mana.. With infinity build damage is > then I think about 400-600 mana you gain w/ frosties..

I've seen Jon duel Craig back when he had hypothermia and even Craig couldn't 5-0 Jon.. I know PBaller is good on his sorces, but 5-0'n Jon, I highly doubt it (And no I'm not doubting your dueling capabilities).. Plus Jon always used Legit 20/17, 20/16s and most players doing SvS use unperm 70/15s.. Plus Jon doesn't even really get on D2 anymore, so beating somebody that hasn't played in like a year isn't much to rant and rave about.

Galda as of yesterday is regeared mike me and jon talked about it and he did it and fyi i baal with jon everyday mike lol i'm kinda the one who convinced him to bring Galda back from grave

Back on topic...

Yes, wearing Frost Burns, it could technically work. It's not necessary though. I'd probably encourage wearing 2x fcr rings and Shako over Frosties... at least on this build. But I'd probably only do that PvM.

Also, if you prefer to go Nova / Light using infinity you must use 1 fcr ring.

As for this being a copy of Mike's build... if by Mike you mean DzNuttz, then it is not... if Jon got the build for Mirae from another guy named Mike, then I was here to for unaware.

Anyways, it's nice to see you post again Mike!

Mmm... Jon dragging Galda out again? I thought he was working on Poo. I'll have to talk to him next time I get the chance.

- Corey

Back on topic...

Yes, wearing Frost Burns, it could technically work. It's not necessary though. I'd probably encourage wearing 2x fcr rings and Shako over Frosties... at least on this build. But I'd probably only do that PvM.

Also, if you prefer to go Nova / Light using infinity you must use 1 fcr ring.

As for this being a copy of Mike's build... if by Mike you mean DzNuttz, then it is not... if Jon got the build for Mirae from another guy named Mike, then I was here to for unaware.

Anyways, it's nice to see you post again Mike!

Mmm... Jon dragging Galda out again? I thought he was working on Poo. I'll have to talk to him next time I get the chance.

- Corey

In Jon's words "Im deep down inside a sorc guy" so he ditched Poo and regeared Galda and is bringing her from 98 to 99.

I'm trying to make a decent Es tank nova sorc. I'm not sure. Would this build work?

Griffons

Fletch

Up'd viper magi

1x soj

1x fcr ring with mana and mods

arachs

frosties

Grimspurs? would treks work? because psn pwns Es sorcs.

30+20+20+10+25=105 fcr. is this sufficient? im wondering on FHR. should i hit 86%?

would Light fhr gcs be better than fhr/resist scs? Do fhr/mana scs exist?

Help me out plz.

I'm trying to make a decent Es tank nova sorc. I'm not sure. Would this build work?

Griffons

Fletch

Up'd viper magi

1x soj

1x fcr ring with mana and mods

arachs

frosties

Grimspurs? would treks work? because psn pwns Es sorcs.

30+20+20+10+25=105 fcr. is this sufficient? im wondering on FHR. should i hit 86%?

would Light fhr gcs be better than fhr/resist scs? Do fhr/mana scs exist?

Help me out plz.

If you are just going to use TStorm over Light then I would use 105.. But if you are going to use Light as your main attack you'll need to hit the 117 FCR BP.. As for FHR, I'm pretty sure that Corey and Jon were at 60 FHR? But I'm a fan of hitting the 86..

I would like people to know as well, that you can adapt this build in many ways.. Were Corey is a TS/Nova sorc, you can easy change the skills in your building process to make a Light/Nova Sorc or CB/Nova sorc.. Also running 1 base point into ES is doable as well.. All you have to do then is do a Life/Mana split of like 2100 Life / 2200 Mana.. Corey and Jon's build give many options for all types of builds.. You can also build the sorc around infinity and easily strap on a Spirit sword and Lidless to hit 86FHR and a little more Life/Mana and Damage.. Just some options for everybody when building around infinity

Nova / TS is not a super strong build PvP, Nova / Lightning is a bit better, but not super strong either.

This is a hell of a fun sorc though.

Now, saying it isn't super strong doesn't mean it isn't viable, it just means you have to work on it more.

If you're going for an easy kill, I suggest a high damage fireballer, blizzer, or lightning sorc, possible a 200% fber or lightning one.

If you're going for a sorc that can take on a lot, PvM better than any other sorc our there, and a good many hammerdins, and still be a ton of fun on the Blood Moor, this sorc is for you.

Now, I would look up a bit, I listed the strengths and weaknesses of this sorc and ways to duel against many chars. Granted, Jon played his differently, and my little brother seems able to kill more with my sorc than I can. This sorc, I would say, varies a lot more from user to user than some other sorcs. It has an interesting learning curve to say the least.

- Corey

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...