Joz's MF Orb/Light WTF is it Sorc Guide

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sigh, good times, good times.

Intro:

While its true, that a MF Lightning sorceress, when equiped with a Infinity merc can mow down just about every single monster in the game. Several times when testing, I have found that lightning immune monsters DO exist, but also, that incredibly low min damage can come back to haunt you, even with a good max/average damage. This MF build, which so far has given me incredible luck, as well as speedy MF runs, relies on two(three) skills to kill 99% (I have met only one monster that I needed my merc to kill, Light/Cold immune (even after Infininty), his name was Thresh Socket, the big stompy guy near the stairs to Crystalline Passage. Thank god my merc has Life Leach and Good Damage.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gear Part 1: Lets HIT IT!

*Note, you dont need to use these exact items, and some people may not be able to, I understand, but I have found the best results from these.*

Helm:

Harlequin Crest

+2 To All Skills

+ (1.5 Per Character Level) 1-148 To Life (Based On Character Level)

+ (1.5 Per Character Level) 1-148 To Mana (Based On Character Level)

Damage Reduced By 10%

50% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

+2 To All Attributes

The mods on this helm are incredible for any caster, socket this with an Um rune for Resistances or a FHR/Res Jewel for the same +FHR.

Armor:

Skin of the Vipermagi

+120% Enhanced Defense

+1 To All Skills

30% Faster Cast Rate

Magic Damage Reduced By 9-13 (varies)

All Resistances +20-35

Another great caster item, while lacking in any base MF or GF, the Skin of the Vipermagie has great resists/MDR, skills and FCR. The MDR realy helps agianst any poison and other DPF attacks (Damge Per Frame (psn, firewall, etc..). Socket with either the same as Harlequin Crest or pop an Ist rune into this (poorer players may opt for a Perfect Topaz instead.)

Shield:

Lidless Wall

+80-130% Enhanced Defense (varies)

+1 To All Skills

Increase Maximum Mana 10%

20% Faster Cast Rate

+3-5 To Mana After Each Kill (varies)

+10 To Energy

+1 To Light Radius

While lacking in stats behind the ever godly Spirit Monarch the Lidless Wall is a great low strength shield. Shael this for faster blocking.

Gloves:

Frostburn

+10-20% Enhanced Defense (varies)

+30 Defense

+5% Enhanced Damage

Increase Maximum Mana 40%*

Adds 1-6 Cold Damage, Cold Duration: 2 Seconds

The massive ammount of mana these gloves generate will help you, even if you cant get Stone of Jordans. Another alternative for gloves is Magefist or Chance Guards. Though I found that by using Chance Guards my drops sort of diminished. Funny...

Belt:

Tal Rasha's Fine-Spun Cloth

Requirements -20%

37% Damage Taken Goes To Mana

+30 To Mana

+20 To Dexterity

10-15% Better Chance Of Magic Items (varies)

(*Replenish Life +10 (2 Items)*)

In my opinion, the stats on this more then make up for the MF you would get with Goldrap, the DTM is also very usefull when struck by a monster with Magic Burn.

Boots:

War Traveler

+150-190% Enhanced Defense (varies)

25% Faster Run/Walk

+10 To Vitality

+10 To Strength

Adds 15-25 Damage

40% Slower Stamina Drain

Attacker Takes Damage Of 5-10 (varies)

30-50% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items (varies)

Stats, MF, FRW, what else could you ask for in a boot (besides FHR, but Spurs/Treks/Nails are expensive, ewww.) You can also use Silkweave, Waterwalk or Sandstorm Trek instead, though they lack MF. *If you can afford Stone of Jordan, use Silkweave*

Ammulet:

Tal Rasha's Adjudication

+2 To Sorceress Skill Levels

Lightning Resist +33%

Adds 3-32 Lightning Damage

+42 To Mana

+50 To Life

Cheap to get, and with Mana, Life and +2 Sorceress Skills, this a great ammulet if you cant afford anything else. Other options for Ammulets are of course the more expensive Mara's Kaleidoscope and Armaggedon Fletch among other rare/crafted Ammulets. For the poorer players use Tal Rasha's Adjudication, if you can afford it however, use Mara's Kaleidoscope and Armaggedon Fletch or another good rare/crafted Ammulet.

Ring (1):

Stone of Jordan

+1 To All Skills

Increase Maximum Mana 25%*

Adds 1-12 Lightning Damage

+20 To Mana

The Ring of Rings, the One Ring, whatever your fancy, the Stone Of Jordan truely is one of the best items in 1.10/1.11. If you cant get one of these use a Manald Heal if your having Mana problems, or a rare/crafted with Mana and MF. Nagelring Also works, though its non-mf stats are virturaly worthless.

Ring (2):

Stone of Jordan

+1 To All Skills

+20 To Mana

The Ring of Rings, the One Ring, whatever your fancy, the Stone Of Jordan truely is one of the best items in 1.10/1.11. If you cant get one of these use a Manald Heal if your having Mana problems, or a rare/crafted with Mana and MF. Nagelring Also works, though its non-mf stats are virturaly worthless.

Weapon: Choice 1

Wizardspike

+ (2 Per Character Level) 2-198 To Mana (Based On Character Level)

50% Faster Cast Rate

Regenerate Mana 15%

Increase Maximum Mana 15%

All Resistances +75

Indestructible

Another item with fantasic caster stats, if you use this, you may or may not need Silkweave or Frostburn and might be able to use something else if you dont suffer from mana shortages. Socket this with a Hel rune or a good =15% Requriement jewel. You can also put a Rainbow Facet into this.

Weapon: Choice 2

Eschuta's Temper

+1-3 To Sorceress Skill Levels (varies)

+40% Faster Cast Rate

+10-20% To Fire Skill Damage (varies)

+10-20% To Lightning Skill Damage (varies)

+20-30 To Energy (varies)

While lacking the stats Wizspike has, the pure damage this adds cant be easily ignored. Socket this with a good jewel. You can also put a Rainbow Facet into this.

Weapon Switch:

Rune Word: Call to Arms, Flail

+1 To All Skills

+40% Increased Attack Speed

+250-290% Enhanced Damage (varies)

Adds 5-30 Fire Damage

7% Life Stolen Per Hit

+2-6 To Battle Command (varies)*

+1-6 To Battle Orders (varies)*

+1-4 To Battle Cry (varies)*

Prevent Monster Heal

Replenish Life +12

30% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Use for pre-buff BC/BO, this not-so cheap item is a good idea to splurge on. Even a +1 BO Call to Arms can improve your life and mana greatly. It also helps out your merc (which we will get to next, so hold your damn horses.)

Shield Switch:

Lidless Wall

+1 To All Skills

20% Faster Cast Rate

+10 To Energy

+1 To Light Radius

Its got +1 Skill, improves your BO/BC, and if something attacks you while you pre-buff, you at least have a >10% chance to block, depending on your level and dexterity.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Charms:

Should Have: Hellfire Torch

Should Have: Annihilus

Should Have: Gheed's Fortune

Optinal: Magic Find Small Charms

Optinal: Life Charms

Optinal: Mana Charms

Gear Part Two: Your Bitch Wants Some Itamz

*Notes: Your merc is a EXTREMLY valuable asset in this build, without it, you will probaly die, or just take a long time to complete runs. Spend the most on your merc.*

Helm: Choice One:

Tal Rasha's Horadric Crest

10% Life Stolen Per Hit

10% Mana Stolen Per Hit

All Resistances +15

+45 Defense

+30 To Mana

+60 To Life

My personal preference for my merc(s), the high leach, resists and life make it perfect for mercs, put a Um rune or resist jewel into this, or even a ED jewel if you want your merc to kill things faster. If your poorer, you can choose to use a Perfect Ruby for life, or if your merc needs more strength to use an item, a Fal rune or Perfect Amethyst work as well.

Helm: Choice Two:

Stealskull

+200-240% Enhanced Defense (varies)

10% Increased Attack speed

10% Faster Hit Recovery

5% Life Stolen Per Hit

5% Mana Stolen Per Hit

The Harlequin Crest of Meleers, the high leach, fcr and FHR are very nice, and for the kills the merc makes the added MF is extremely good. See above for socketing info.

Helm: Choice Three:

Andariel's Visage

+100-150% Enhanced Defense (varies)

+2 To All Skills

20% Increased Attack Speed

8-10% Life Stolen Per Hit (varies)

+25-30 To Strength (varies)

+10% To Maximum Poison Resist

Fire Resist -30%

Poison Resist +70%

15% Chance To Cast Level 15 Poison Nova When Struck

Level 3 Venom (20 charges)

A great merc helm, combines alot of good stats into a single item. Perfect for Meph runs and other poison prevalent monsters. Socket this with a Ral rune to balance off the -30% Fire Resist mod, otherwise, see above for socketing infomation.

Helm: Choice Four:

Crown of Thieves

+160-200% Enhanced Defense (varies)

9-12% Life Stolen Per Hit (varies)

Fire Resist +33%

+35 To Mana

+50 To Life

+25 To Dexterity

80-100% Extra Gold From Monsters (varies)

Life, Dex and Leach, as well as a large ammount of GF. See above for socketing information.

Helm: Choice Five:

Vampire Gaze

+100% Enhanced Defense

Adds 6-22 Cold Damage - 4 Second Duration

15% Slower Stamina Drain

6-8% Life Stolen Per Hit (varies)

6-8% Mana Stolen Per Hit (varies)

Damage Reduced By 15-20% (varies)

Magic Damage Reduced By 10-15 (varies)

The Gaze, one of the single most recognized items. Incredibly high %DR, Leach and MDR make this a very, very good helm for any (non-act3) merc or melee character. See above for socketing information.

Armor: Choice One:

Rune Word, Chains of Honor, Any Armor *Pay Attention To Str, to high and your merc may not be able to use it.*

+2 To All Skills

+200% Damage To Demons

+100% Damage To Undead

8% Life Stolen Per Hit

+70% Enhanced Defense

+20 To Strength

Replenish Life +7

All Resistances +65

Damage Reduced By 8%

25% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Either the first or second best PVM armor, depending on your views, Chains of Honor has not three, not four, but NINE incredibly usefull PVM bonuses. This is the recomended armor, since its cheaper then Choice Two.

Armor: Choice Two:

Rune Word, Fortitude, Any Armor *See Note Above For Choice One*

20% Chance To Cast Level 15 Chilling Armor when Struck

+25% Faster Cast Rate

+300% Enhanced Damage

+200% Enhanced Defense

+15 Defense

+X To Life (Based on Character Level)*

Replenish Life +7

+5% To Maximum Lightning Resist

All Resistances +25-30 (varies)

Damage Reduced By 7

12% Damage Taken Goes To Mana

+1 To Light Radius

Another great armor, it lacks some of the stats Chains of Honor does, but makes up for it in the shear damage and life bonus. This is more expensive then Chains of Honor but should be used if possible. However, due to its lower Resist bonus, you may want to socket your helm with an Um rune if your merc does not reach a good ammount of resists in hell, or whereever you plan to MF.

Weapon:

Rune Word, Infinity, Any Polearm *Note, the more damage, the better, I prefer an Infinity with at least 250 max damage, and I will pay extra for a 500+.*

50% Chance To Cast Level 20 Chain Lightning When You Kill An Enemy

Level 12 Conviction Aura When Equipped

+35% Faster Run/Walk

+255-325% Enhanced Damage (varies)

-(45-55)% To Enemy Lightning Resistance (varies)

40% Chance of Crushing Blow

Prevent Monster Heal

0.5-49.5 To Vitality (Based on Character Level)

Level 21 Cyclone Armor (30 Charges)

The Convicition aura granted by this makes it THE key to your success, it will remove most immunities exept for Shenk and Eldritch, but will otherwise vastly increse the ammount of damage you deal to monsters (and players.) This item must be used. If you can not, then I suggest you get the most massivly damaging weapon you can. (Cruel Eth Elite, Tombreaver, etc...) Remember, this weapon on your merc is THE key.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stats and Skills

*Note: Skills at level 85, ALL skill quests done. (96 Skill Points)*

Skills: Fire Tree

1 Warmth

Skills: Cold Tree

20 Ice Bolt

1 Frozen Armor

1 Ice Blast

1 Frost Nova

1 Glacial Spike

1 Blizzard

1 Cold Mastery

20 Frozen Orb (Goal= 500+Damage

Skills: Lightning Tree

1 Telekinesis

1 Teleport

1 Static Field

1 Charged Bolt

20 Lightning

20 Lightning Mastery (Goal= 3500+Damage

8 Chain Lightning (If leveling further, place skill points here.)

Stats

Strength

Apply enough points into this to be able to wear your items, do not forget to factor in +Str from existing items or charms.

Dexterity

Apply enough points into this to be able to wear your items, do not forget to factor in +Dex from existing items or charms. Max block is possible, but you will have much lower life, and I do not advise it. Unless you think it extremely important, the most ammount of dex you should use should be enough to get you to %25 block. (1/4 hits blocked.) However, your merc should be taking the majority of hits and hopefully your low block wont be a problem. (Exept for Skelton Archers, Corrupt Rogue Archers, Sabre Cats, and Spike Fiends.)

Energy

Apply enough points into this to achive at least 1,000 Mana (with or without BO.)

Vitality

Any remaining points should be placed here. (Target= >1500 with BO)

Hints, Tips and Tricks

1. Using Frozen Orb, the let your merc tank. Position yourself so the orb "explodes" as it is or just afet passing through monster(s). I have taken out Mephisto in a 4 player game with just five Orbs, and three Orbs by myself.

2. Lightning will be your primary attack whe running Shenk, Eldtritch, Countess and a few other monsters that will still be immune even with conviction. Chain Lightining is usefull when large groups are in the way and you want to kill them with a flashy effect.

3. Do not forget about static field. Very usefull skill in a game with many players.

4. If you cant kill it with Orb, or its to far away and you dont want to move, THEN use Lightning.

5. Orb the council.

6. I have tried Energy Shield, it is not a good way to build this sorceress.

7. It is possible to use a non-infinity weapon, and I survived fairly well when my merc had only Shaftstop, Tals Helm and Eth Demon Arch, but he died several times a session and could not realy hold is own in hot situations. (50/50 Chance dying to Mephisto)

8. Yes, I do take FG donations.

9. Why? Becouse I can.

10. What if...? :-> Ask, and I will answer to the best of my ability.

11. Why did you make this guide so clean? I dint suffer through English classes for nothing. God bless my 2nd latest teachers soul; Lawyers make the best English teachers. (Laugh.)

Good Places To MF(IMO)

#. Monster (Attack best suited to use)(Frozen Orb or Lightning/Chain Lighting (Chain Lightning is best suited when you need to hit alot of monsters now in a neat row. Expecialy in Countess runs where her mininons and other monsters are in a small confined space.)

(Not in order of run)

1. Shenk/Eldritch (Lightning)

2. Mephistol (Orb)

3. Council near Mephisto (Orb)

4. Council at Travincle (Orb)

5. Andariel (Orb)

6. Pindleskin (Orb or Lightning)

7. Countess (Lightning)

8. Treehead Woodfist (Lightning)

9. Bone Ash (Lightning)

10. Fangskin (Orb or Lightning)

11. Summoner (Orb)

12. Duriel (Orb)

13. Thresh Socket (Lightning)

*Notes* I DO NOT RECOMOND MFing IN ACT 4, MF at own risk if doing Act 4.

If you are confused, or want something explained better, PLEASE ASK.

Deserves to be pinned. A lot of people still mf and might find this guide very useful.

Congrats Joz, very complete guide. And you didnt even ask for FG! Im impressed.

Thanks.

p.s. Check #8 of the Hints, Tips and Tricks.

One thing I did forget to mention however, if you play Ladder and can make or easily afford Spirit monarchs, the extra stats it gives might offest the str requriement. But I havent been able to test that seeing as my sorc is on NL. (Why I made my MF char on NL, I dont know, I should have gone L, but now im making another Orb/Light named Dispassion on ladder instead. oh well.

Update; v. 1.00 : v. 1.01
Added: Alternatives, Spacers between item types, other stuff.
Fixed: Code Errors (Boots, others)
Other stuff added/removed.

Intro:

While its true, that a MF Lightning sorceress, when equiped with a Infinity merc can mow down just about every single monster in the game. Several times when testing, I have found that lightning immune monsters DO exist, but also, that incredibly low min damage can come back to haunt you, even with a good max/average damage. This MF build, which so far has given me incredible luck, as well as speedy MF runs, relies on two(three) skills to kill 99% (I have met only one monster that I needed my merc to kill, Light/Cold immune (even after Infininty), his name was Thresh Socket, the big stompy guy near the stairs to Crystalline Passage. Thank god my merc has Life Leach and Good Damage.

*Note: This is a guide for the poor(er) player, but it does include more expensive items, as well as items for those of even poor(er) standing then most (AKA: Me, restarting, with not a single one of the 12 people on my flist giving me more then a pair of chancies and a Tals belt. Fuck you.*

*Note 2: If you are rich and have complaints about this guide, go find youself another guide to read; or write your own.*

*Note, you dont need to use these exact items, and some people may not be able to, I understand, but I have found the best results from these.*

Helm:

Harlequin Crest

+2 To All Skills

Damage Reduced By 10%

+2 To All Attributes

The mods on this helm are incredible for any caster, socket this with an Um rune for Resistances or a FHR/Res Jewel for the same +FHR.

Helm: Poor

Peasant Crown

+100% Enhanced Defense

+1 To All Skills

15% Faster Run/Walk

Replenish Life +6-12 (varies)

+20 To Energy

+20 To Vitality

This exelent low level helm carries a heafty bonus to both important stats this build uses, while lacking the +2 skills Harlequin Crest provides, it is in my opinion that Peasant Crown is a viable alternative to Harlequin Crest. See above for socketing information or use Perfect Topaz.

-

Armor:

Skin of the Vipermagi

+120% Enhanced Defense

+1 To All Skills

30% Faster Cast Rate

All Resistances +20-35

Another great caster item, while lacking in any base MF or GF, the Skin of the Vipermagie has great resists/MDR, skills and FCR. The MDR realy helps agianst any poison and other DPF attacks (Damge Per Frame (psn, firewall, etc..). Socket with either the same as Harlequin Crest or pop an Ist rune into this (poorer players may opt for a Perfect Topaz instead.)

Armor: Poor, Alternative

Que-Hegan's Wisdom

+140-160% Enhanced Defense (varies)

+1 To All Skill Levels

+3 To Mana After Each Kill

20% Faster Cast Rate

20% Faster Hit Recovery

Magic Damage Reduced By 6-10 (varies)

+15 To Energy

While lacking the resists Skin of the Vipermagi has,Que-Hegan's Wisdom has a very nice FHR and Energy bonus. This armor should be socketed with some sort of resist rune or jewel to make up for resists lost from not using Skin of the Vipermagie.

Armor: Rich, Alternative-Ego Stroke

Ormus' Robes

+10-20 Defense (varies)

+20% Faster Cast Rate

+10-15% To Cold Skill Damage (varies)

+10-15% To Fire Skill Damage (varies)

+10-15% To Lightning Skill Damage (varies)

+3 bonus to a random Sorceress skill (Sorceress Only)*

Regenerate Mana 10-15%

Getting one of these with +3 Lightning would be a huge increse to your damage, if you can afford it; a 15%Light/15%Cold +3 Lightning Ormus' Robes is a speed freaks best choice. However, you loose both the resists or FHR that come from using a cheaper armor. Socket this with a good res jewel since you can obviously afford it.

-

Shield:

Lidless Wall

+1 To All Skills

20% Faster Cast Rate

+10 To Energy

+1 To Light Radius

While lacking in stats behind the ever godly Spirit Monarch the Lidless Wall is a great low strength shield. Shael this for faster blocking.

Shield: Rich, Alternative-Ladder

Runeword, Spirit, Monarch Shield

+2 To All Skills

+25-35% Faster Cast Rate (varies)

+55% Faster Hit Recovery

+250 Defense Vs. Missile

+22 To Vitality

+89-112 To Mana (varies)

Cold Resist +35%

Lightning Resist +35%

Poison Resist +35%

+3-8 Magic Absorb (varies)

Attacker Takes Damage of 14

This insane shield (and even more insane in the hands of any paladin capable of using it,) is a very, very powerfull runeword. The Strength requriement of a Monarch shield might couse some people to shy away from using it, if you have one available you should deffinetly consider using it. If not just for its nine massive and helpfull caster mods.

-

Gloves:

Frostburn

+30 Defense

+5% Enhanced Damage

The massive ammount of mana these gloves generate will help you, even if you cant get Stone of Jordans. Another alternative for gloves is Magefist or Chance Guards. Though I found that by using Chance Guards my drops sort of diminished. Funny...

-

Belt:

Requirements -20%

+30 To Mana

+20 To Dexterity

In my opinion, the stats on this more then make up for the MF you would get with Goldrap, the DTM is also very usefull when struck by a monster with Magic Burn.

-

Boots:

War Traveler

25% Faster Run/Walk

+10 To Vitality

+10 To Strength

Adds 15-25 Damage

40% Slower Stamina Drain

Stats, MF, FRW, what else could you ask for in a boot (besides FHR, but Spurs/Treks/Nails are expensive, ewww.) You can also use Silkweave, Waterwalk or Sandstorm Trek instead, though they lack MF. *If you can not afford Stone of Jordan, use Silkweave*

-

Ammulet:

Tal Rasha's Adjudication

Lightning Resist +33%

+42 To Mana

+50 To Life

Cheap to get, and with Mana, Life and +2 Sorceress Skills, this a great ammulet if you cant afford anything else. Other options for Ammulets are of course the more expensive Mara's Kaleidoscope and Armaggedon Fletch among other rare/crafted Ammulets. For the poorer players use Tal Rasha's Adjudication, if you can afford it however, use Mara's Kaleidoscope and Armaggedon Fletch or another good rare/crafted Ammulet.

-

Ring (1):

Stone of Jordan

+1 To All Skills

+20 To Mana

-

Ring (2):

Stone of Jordan

+1 To All Skills

+20 To Mana

-

Wizardspike

50% Faster Cast Rate

Regenerate Mana 15%

All Resistances +75

Indestructible

Another item with fantasic caster stats, if you use this, you may or may not need Silkweave or Frostburn and might be able to use something else if you dont suffer from mana shortages. Socket this with a Hel rune or a good =15% Requriement jewel. You can also put a Rainbow Facet into this.

Eschuta's Temper

+40% Faster Cast Rate

While lacking the stats Wizspike has, the pure damage this adds cant be easily ignored. Socket this with a good jewel. You can also put a Rainbow Facet into this.

Weapon: Possible, Alternative-Ladder

Runeword, Spirit (Sword)

+2 To All Skills

+55% Faster Hit Recovery

Adds 1-50 Lightning Damage

Adds 3-14 Cold Damage 3 Second Duration (Normal)

+75 Poison Damage Over 5 Seconds

7% Life Stolen Per Hit

+250 Defense Vs. Missile

+22 To Vitality

+89-112 To Mana (varies)

Similar to its cousin in shields, Spirit swords make LLD's even more deadly then before, and in the hands of a poorer player with a MF sorc, make that person so much better at finding things, and not dying so much. This may even be used on NL instead of the choices above. Like the shield version it has exelent FCR, FHR, Life, Mana and +2 Skills, but has some quite worthless elemental damage instead of resists. Make in a Crystal Sword for best look/results.

Weapon: Slightly Rich Alternative.

Runeword, Heart of the Oak, Flail

+3 To All Skills

+40% Faster Cast Rate

+75% Damage To Demons

+100 To Attack Rating Against Demons

Adds 3-14 Cold Damage, 3 sec. Duration (Normal)

7% Mana Stolen Per Hit

+10 To Dexterity

Replenish Life +20

All Resistances +30-40 (varies)

Level 4 Oak Sage (25 Charges)

Level 14 Raven (60 Charges)

FCR, Skills, Resists, Replensish and even some charges of Oak sage make this a very powerfull weapon to use, however, some poorer players might have trouble afording this, and should be advised to use Wizardspike instead. Those that can afford however, should consider this weapons low requriements to use and outstanding bonuses.

-

Weapon Switch:

+1 To All Skills

Adds 5-30 Fire Damage

7% Life Stolen Per Hit

Prevent Monster Heal

Replenish Life +12

Use for pre-buff BC/BO, this not-so cheap item is a good idea to splurge on. Even a +1 BO Call to Arms can improve your life and mana greatly. It also helps out your merc (which we will get to next, so hold your damn horses.)

-

Shield Switch:

Lidless Wall

+1 To All Skills

20% Faster Cast Rate

+10 To Energy

+1 To Light Radius

Its got +1 Skill, improves your BO/BC, and if something attacks you while you pre-buff, you at least have a >10% chance to block, depending on your level and dexterity. Spirit Monarch if you can afford it or make it(L.)

Charms:

*Notes: Your merc is a EXTREMLY valuable asset in this build, without it, you will probaly die, or just take a long time to complete runs. Spend the most on your merc.*

10% Life Stolen Per Hit

10% Mana Stolen Per Hit

All Resistances +15

+45 Defense

+30 To Mana

+60 To Life

My personal preference for my merc(s), the high leach, resists and life make it perfect for mercs, put a Um rune or resist jewel into this, or even a ED jewel if you want your merc to kill things faster. If your poorer, you can choose to use a Perfect Ruby for life, or if your merc needs more strength to use an item, a Fal rune or Perfect Amethyst work as well.

Stealskull

10% Faster Hit Recovery

5% Life Stolen Per Hit

5% Mana Stolen Per Hit

The Harlequin Crest of Meleers, the high leach, fcr and FHR are very nice, and for the kills the merc makes the added MF is extremely good. See above for socketing info.

Andariel's Visage

+2 To All Skills

Fire Resist -30%

Poison Resist +70%

A great merc helm, combines alot of good stats into a single item. Perfect for Meph runs and other poison prevalent monsters. Socket this with a Ral rune to balance off the -30% Fire Resist mod, otherwise, see above for socketing infomation.

Crown of Thieves

Fire Resist +33%

+35 To Mana

+50 To Life

+25 To Dexterity

Life, Dex and Leach, as well as a large ammount of GF. See above for socketing information.

Vampire Gaze

+100% Enhanced Defense

15% Slower Stamina Drain

The Gaze, one of the single most recognized items. Incredibly high %DR, Leach and MDR make this a very, very good helm for any (non-act3) merc or melee character. See above for socketing information.

-

Rune Word, Chains of Honor, Any Armor *Pay Attention To Str, to high and your merc may not be able to use it.*

+2 To All Skills

+200% Damage To Demons

+100% Damage To Undead

8% Life Stolen Per Hit

+70% Enhanced Defense

+20 To Strength

Replenish Life +7

All Resistances +65

Damage Reduced By 8%

Either the first or second best PVM armor, depending on your views, Chains of Honor has not three, not four, but NINE incredibly usefull PVM bonuses. This is the recomended armor, since its cheaper then Choice Two.

+25% Faster Cast Rate

+300% Enhanced Damage

+200% Enhanced Defense

+15 Defense

Replenish Life +7

Damage Reduced By 7

+1 To Light Radius

Another great armor, it lacks some of the stats Chains of Honor does, but makes up for it in the shear damage and life bonus. This is more expensive then Chains of Honor but should be used if possible. However, due to its lower Resist bonus, you may want to socket your helm with an Um rune if your merc does not reach a good ammount of resists in hell, or whereever you plan to MF.

-

Weapon:

Rune Word, Infinity, Any Polearm *Note, the more damage, the better, I prefer an Infinity with at least 250 max damage, and I will pay extra for a 500+.*

+35% Faster Run/Walk

Prevent Monster Heal

The Convicition aura granted by this makes it THE key to your success, it will remove most immunities exept for Shenk and Eldritch, but will otherwise vastly increse the ammount of damage you deal to monsters (and players.) This item must be used. If you can not, then I suggest you get the most massivly damaging weapon you can. (Cruel Eth Elite, Tombreaver, etc...) Remember, this weapon on your merc is THE key.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stats and Skills

1 Warmth

20 Ice Bolt

1 Frozen Armor

1 Ice Blast

1 Frost Nova

1 Glacial Spike

1 Blizzard

1 Cold Mastery

1 Telekinesis

1 Teleport

1 Static Field

1 Charged Bolt

20 Lightning

Stats

Strength

Apply enough points into this to be able to wear your items, do not forget to factor in +Str from existing items or charms.

Dexterity

Apply enough points into this to be able to wear your items, do not forget to factor in +Dex from existing items or charms. Max block is possible, but you will have much lower life, and I do not advise it. Unless you think it extremely important, the most ammount of dex you should use should be enough to get you to %25 block. (1/4 hits blocked.) However, your merc should be taking the majority of hits and hopefully your low block wont be a problem. (Exept for Skelton Archers, Corrupt Rogue Archers, Sabre Cats, and Spike Fiends.)

Energy

Apply enough points into this to achive at least 1,000 Mana (with or without BO.)

Vitality

Hints, Tips and Tricks

1. Many people may notice I did not include Skullder's Ire anywhere in the guide. Personaly, I find that its two usefull stats dont match up to the other armors.

2. Using Frozen Orb, the let your merc tank. Position yourself so the orb "explodes" as it is or just afet passing through monster(s). I have taken out Mephisto in a 4 player game with just five Orbs, and three Orbs by myself.

3. Lightning will be your primary attack whe running Shenk, Eldtritch, Countess and a few other monsters that will still be immune even with conviction. Chain Lightining is usefull when large groups are in the way and you want to kill them with a flashy effect.

4. Do not forget about static field. Very usefull skill in a game with many players.

5. If you cant kill it with Orb, or its to far away and you dont want to move, THEN use Lightning.

6. Orb the council.

7. I have tried Energy Shield, it is not a good way to build this sorceress.

8. It is possible to use a non-infinity weapon, and I survived fairly well when my merc had only Shaftstop, Tals Helm and Eth Demon Arch, but he died several times a session and could not realy hold is own in hot situations. (50/50 Chance dying to Mephisto)

9. Yes, I do take FG donations.

10. Why? Becouse I can.

11. What if...? :-> Ask, and I will answer to the best of my ability.

12. Why did you make this guide so clean? I dint suffer through English classes for nothing. God bless my 2nd latest teachers soul; Lawyers make the best English teachers. (Laugh.)

Good Places To MF(IMO)

#. Monster (Attack best suited to use)(Frozen Orb or Lightning/Chain Lighting (Chain Lightning is best suited when you need to hit alot of monsters now in a neat row. Expecialy in Countess runs where her mininons and other monsters are in a small confined space.)

(Not in order of run or drops, only numbered for reference.)

2. Mephistol (Orb)

5. Andariel (Orb)

7. Countess (Lightning)

9. Bone Ash (Lightning)

11. Summoner (Orb)

12. Duriel (Orb)

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update; v. 1.01 : v. 1.02
Added: Several more item choices, few more fixes, stuff.

Intro:

*Note: This is a guide for the poor(er) player, but it does include more expensive items, as well as items for those of even poor(er) standing then most (AKA: Me, restarting, with not a single one of the 12 people on my flist giving me more then a pair of chancies and a Tals belt. Fuck you.*

*Note 2: If you are rich and have complaints about this guide, go find youself another guide to read; or write your own.*

Helm:

Harlequin Crest

+2 To All Skills

Damage Reduced By 10%

+2 To All Attributes

Helm: Poor

Peasant Crown

+100% Enhanced Defense

+1 To All Skills

15% Faster Run/Walk

Replenish Life +6-12 (varies)

+20 To Energy

+20 To Vitality

This exelent low level helm carries a heafty bonus to both important stats this build uses, while lacking the +2 skills Harlequin Crest provides, it is in my opinion that Peasant Crown is a viable alternative to Harlequin Crest. See above for socketing information or use Perfect Topaz.

Helm: Poor Alternative

Runeword: Lore

+1 To All Skill Levels

+10 To Energy

+2 To Mana After Each Kill

Lightning Resist +30%

Damage Reduced By 7

+2 To Light Radius

This is a great way to get a nice helm for Norm/Nightmare leveling and MFing, both Ort and Sol runes are easy to find and the added Lightning Resist is a great bonus, though, as soon as you can, a Peasant Crown or Harlequin Crest should be used instead. Lore runeword should only be used as a temp helm if nothing else is avaiable.

-

Armor:

Skin of the Vipermagi

+120% Enhanced Defense

+1 To All Skills

30% Faster Cast Rate

All Resistances +20-35

Armor: Poor, Alternative

Que-Hegan's Wisdom

+140-160% Enhanced Defense (varies)

+1 To All Skill Levels

+3 To Mana After Each Kill

20% Faster Cast Rate

20% Faster Hit Recovery

Magic Damage Reduced By 6-10 (varies)

+15 To Energy

While lacking the resists Skin of the Vipermagi has,Que-Hegan's Wisdom has a very nice FHR and Energy bonus. This armor should be socketed with some sort of resist rune or jewel to make up for resists lost from not using Skin of the Vipermagie.

Armor: Rich, Alternative-Ego Stroke

Ormus' Robes

+10-20 Defense (varies)

+20% Faster Cast Rate

+10-15% To Cold Skill Damage (varies)

+10-15% To Fire Skill Damage (varies)

+10-15% To Lightning Skill Damage (varies)

+3 bonus to a random Sorceress skill (Sorceress Only)*

Regenerate Mana 10-15%

Getting one of these with +3 Lightning would be a huge increse to your damage, if you can afford it; a 15%Light/15%Cold +3 Lightning Ormus' Robes is a speed freaks best choice. However, you loose both the resists or FHR that come from using a cheaper armor. Socket this with a good res jewel since you can obviously afford it.

-

Shield:

Lidless Wall

+1 To All Skills

20% Faster Cast Rate

+10 To Energy

+1 To Light Radius

Shield: Rich, Alternative-Ladder

Runeword, Spirit, Monarch Shield

+2 To All Skills

+55% Faster Hit Recovery

+250 Defense Vs. Missile

+22 To Vitality

+89-112 To Mana (varies)

Cold Resist +35%

Lightning Resist +35%

Poison Resist +35%

Attacker Takes Damage of 14

This insane shield (and even more insane in the hands of any paladin capable of using it,) is a very, very powerfull runeword. The Strength requriement of a Monarch shield might couse some people to shy away from using it, if you have one available you should deffinetly consider using it. If not just for its nine massive and helpfull caster mods.

-

Gloves:

Frostburn

+30 Defense

+5% Enhanced Damage

-

Belt:

Requirements -20%

+30 To Mana

+20 To Dexterity

-

Boots:

War Traveler

25% Faster Run/Walk

+10 To Vitality

+10 To Strength

Adds 15-25 Damage

40% Slower Stamina Drain

Stats, MF, FRW, what else could you ask for in a boot (besides FHR, but Spurs/Treks/Nails are expensive, ewww.) You can also use Silkweave, Waterwalk or Sandstorm Trek instead, though they lack MF. *If you can not afford Stone of Jordan, use Silkweave*

Boots: Poor/Alternative:

Waterwalks

+180-210% Enhanced Defense

20% Faster Run/Walk

+100 Defense Vs. Missile

+15 To Dexterity

+5% Maximum Fire Resist

Heal Stamina Plus 50%

+40 Max Stamina

+45-65 To Life

Waterwalks are a great way to improve life, dex and fire resist (but only if your already at the maximum. Though, War Travelers are still a better choice, Waterwalks can be used if you realy need the life or dex.

Boots: Alternative/Poor:

Silkweaves

+150-190% Enhanced Defense

30% Faster Run/Walk

+5 To Mana After Each Kill

+200 Defense VS. Missile

Aside from the mana bonus and faster run/walk there is no reason to use these boots instead of something else unless your already using complete crap.

Boots: Poor[/b]

Set Item: Sander's Riprap

+40% Faster Run/Walk

+100 To Attack Rating

+10 To Dexterity

+5 To Strength

Sander's Riprap are great pair of boots before you get better ones such as Waterwalks, War Travelers or Silkweaves, the +stat bonuses are nice and the faster run walk can help out alot in several situations.

-

Ammulet:

Tal Rasha's Adjudication

Lightning Resist +33%

+42 To Mana

+50 To Life

-

Ring (1):

Stone of Jordan

+1 To All Skills

+20 To Mana

-

Ring (2):

Stone of Jordan

+1 To All Skills

+20 To Mana

-

Wizardspike

50% Faster Cast Rate

Regenerate Mana 15%

All Resistances +75

Indestructible

Eschuta's Temper

+40% Faster Cast Rate

Weapon: Possible, Alternative-Ladder

Runeword, Spirit (Sword)

+2 To All Skills

+55% Faster Hit Recovery

Adds 1-50 Lightning Damage

Adds 3-14 Cold Damage 3 Second Duration (Normal)

+75 Poison Damage Over 5 Seconds

7% Life Stolen Per Hit

+250 Defense Vs. Missile

+22 To Vitality

+89-112 To Mana (varies)

Similar to its cousin in shields, Spirit swords make LLD's even more deadly then before, and in the hands of a poorer player with a MF sorc, make that person so much better at finding things, and not dying so much. This may even be used on NL instead of the choices above. Like the shield version it has exelent FCR, FHR, Life, Mana and +2 Skills, but has some quite worthless elemental damage instead of resists. Make in a Crystal Sword for best look/results.

Weapon: Slightly Rich Alternative.

Runeword, Heart of the Oak, Flail

+3 To All Skills

+40% Faster Cast Rate

+75% Damage To Demons

+100 To Attack Rating Against Demons

Adds 3-14 Cold Damage, 3 sec. Duration (Normal)

7% Mana Stolen Per Hit

+10 To Dexterity

Replenish Life +20

All Resistances +30-40 (varies)

Level 4 Oak Sage (25 Charges)

Level 14 Raven (60 Charges)

FCR, Skills, Resists, Replensish and even some charges of Oak sage make this a very powerfull weapon to use, however, some poorer players might have trouble afording this, and should be advised to use Wizardspike instead. Those that can afford however, should consider this weapons low requriements to use and outstanding bonuses.

-

Weapon Switch:

+1 To All Skills

Adds 5-30 Fire Damage

7% Life Stolen Per Hit

Prevent Monster Heal

Replenish Life +12

-

Shield Switch:

Lidless Wall

+1 To All Skills

20% Faster Cast Rate

+10 To Energy

+1 To Light Radius

Its got +1 Skill, improves your BO/BC, and if something attacks you while you pre-buff, you at least have a >10% chance to block, depending on your level and dexterity. Spirit Monarch if you can afford it or make it(L.)

Charms:

10% Life Stolen Per Hit

10% Mana Stolen Per Hit

All Resistances +15

+45 Defense

+30 To Mana

+60 To Life

Stealskull

10% Faster Hit Recovery

5% Life Stolen Per Hit

5% Mana Stolen Per Hit

Andariel's Visage

+2 To All Skills

Fire Resist -30%

Poison Resist +70%

Crown of Thieves

Fire Resist +33%

+35 To Mana

+50 To Life

+25 To Dexterity

Vampire Gaze

+100% Enhanced Defense

15% Slower Stamina Drain

-

+2 To All Skills

+200% Damage To Demons

+100% Damage To Undead

8% Life Stolen Per Hit

+70% Enhanced Defense

+20 To Strength

Replenish Life +7

All Resistances +65

Damage Reduced By 8%

+25% Faster Cast Rate

+300% Enhanced Damage

+200% Enhanced Defense

+15 Defense

Replenish Life +7

Damage Reduced By 7

+1 To Light Radius

-

Weapon:

+35% Faster Run/Walk

Prevent Monster Heal

Stats and Skills

1 Warmth

20 Ice Bolt

1 Frozen Armor

1 Ice Blast

1 Frost Nova

1 Glacial Spike

1 Blizzard

1 Cold Mastery

1 Telekinesis

1 Teleport

1 Static Field

1 Charged Bolt

20 Lightning

Stats

Strength

Dexterity

Energy

Vitality

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick notes on dueling with a Hybrid Orb/Lightning sorceress.

Gear:

Helm: 2/20 Circlet

Armor: Vipermagie

Ammulet: +2 Skills

Ring: SOJ + SOJ

Belt: Arachnid

Gloves: Magefists

Boots: Waterwalks or +res rares

Switch: CTA/Spirit(Lidless)

Weapon: HOTO, Eshuta's or Death's Fathom

This should get you >105FCR. This build when used for dueling should be used with a team (that has Conviction) or agianst "noobs." Agianst rich/good duelers, this build will not hold up, though it can be a very fun and anyoing to play.

Hints, Tips and Tricks

1. Many people may notice I did not include Skullder's Ire anywhere in the guide. Personaly, I find that its two usefull stats dont match up to the other armors.

2. Using Frozen Orb, the let your merc tank. Position yourself so the orb "explodes" as it is or just afet passing through monster(s). I have taken out Mephisto in a 4 player game with just five Orbs, and three Orbs by myself.

3. Lightning will be your primary attack whe running Shenk, Eldtritch, Countess and a few other monsters that will still be immune even with conviction. Chain Lightining is usefull when large groups are in the way and you want to kill them with a flashy effect.

4. Do not forget about static field. Very usefull skill in a game with many players.

5. If you cant kill it with Orb, or its to far away and you dont want to move, THEN use Lightning.

6. Orb the council.

7. I have tried Energy Shield, it is not a good way to build this sorceress.

8. It is possible to use a non-infinity weapon, and I survived fairly well when my merc had only Shaftstop, Tals Helm and Eth Demon Arch, but he died several times a session and could not realy hold is own in hot situations. (50/50 Chance dying to Mephisto)

9. Yes, I do take FG donations.

10. Why? Becouse I can.

11. What if...? :-> Ask, and I will answer to the best of my ability.

12. Why did you make this guide so clean? I dint suffer through English classes for nothing. God bless my 2nd latest teachers soul; Lawyers make the best English teachers. (Laugh.)

Good Places To MF(IMO)

(Not in order of run or drops, only numbered for reference.)

2. Mephistol (Orb)

5. Andariel (Orb)

7. Countess (Lightning)

9. Bone Ash (Lightning)

11. Summoner (Orb)

12. Duriel (Orb)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...