The REVISED "I don't wanna be a fatass" thread

theallseeingeye

Damn you could tell the difference running had? Assuming your diet and other variables were basically the same. I stopped running for abit and honestly i feel like shit sometimes. Definitely have to get back into the routine.

Just saw this post now, I was in Minnesota over the summer so better late than never I guess.

The running was more of my cardio of choice, and a way to be active... the weight loss was 99.9% nutrition. Cut out the candy, soda, beer, grease, fast-food, and things of that sort... concentrate on eating vegetables and LEAN meats (fish, skinless grilled chicken). That's where I saw the changes from, running a lot does make you just feel all around better though.

so would you say running goes a long way with weight loss? i'm still trying to shave a bit more % fat. I'm thinking if i do more weights and such i should be fine. although cardio does help with one's well being.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn you could tell the difference running had? Assuming your diet and other variables were basically the same. I stopped running for abit and honestly i feel like shit sometimes. Definitely have to get back into the routine.

Just saw this post now, I was in Minnesota over the summer so better late than never I guess.

The running was more of my cardio of choice, and a way to be active... the weight loss was 99.9% nutrition. Cut out the candy, soda, beer, grease, fast-food, and things of that sort... concentrate on eating vegetables and LEAN meats (fish, skinless grilled chicken). That's where I saw the changes from, running a lot does make you just feel all around better though.

so would you say running goes a long way with weight loss? i'm still trying to shave a bit more % fat. I'm thinking if i do more weights and such i should be fine. although cardio does help with one's well being.

Try swimming and/or biking, rather then running.

Swimming is the best, imo, for loosing adipose tissue (fat,) as it is something that can work all the major muscle groups at once, unlike other forms of exersize that are limited to a single or few groups at aonce.

yeah the thing is though with swimming i don't feel like i'm working as hard as when i'm running. and i dont even think i am lmao

That's because, well, you're not.

I love all of the talk about swimming, elliptical machines, biking, stairmasters... it's all hilarious to me. Do they all work? Yes. Are they as much of a full body work out as running? No.

I'm not saying swimming isn't a good workout, it really is, it's just not as good at burning calories as running. The reason swimming is hyped SO much is because it is essentially NO impact, which cuts down on joint problems (knee, back, ankles, ect), and if you were 45 years old swimming would be your best option.

As it is, at your age, running is far and away the easiest and fastest way to get some solid exercise in... just make sure you have a really good pair of running shoes.

No and yes. I'll explain:

When you're far over weight, say 50 pounds, running is a terrible idea. At the weight your body just wouldn't be able to handle the stress, and you should stick to something like biking. That being said, when you're that far over weight cardio shouldn't be your main priority, controlling your nutritional habits will have a much larger and faster effect than exercise at that point.

When you're really not over weight anymore, like I am at about 10% body fat, the whole game changes. Essentially what I need to do to get down to a lower bf%, say 5%, without losing muscle is eat 70%+ of my calories in the form of protein, run 3-5 miles a day, and follow a very strict weight lifting program. It's a pain in the ass like you can't believe.

If you are pretty thin already and aren't very concerned with over all strength, just health, then following a toned down version of what I do is probably your best option. Control your calorie intake, eat leaner foods, vegetables, fruits in the morning, things like that. Run often, 3 miles a day should be plenty, and follow some form of daily strength training program (sit ups, pull ups, push ups, and squats will essentially cover everything to a point). All three parts, nutrition, weight training, and running are important... don't skimp on anything.

yeah the thing is though with swimming i don't feel like i'm working as hard as when i'm running. and i dont even think i am lmao

I love all of the talk about swimming, elliptical machines, biking, stairmasters... it's all hilarious to me. Do they all work? Yes. Are they as much of a full body work out as running? No.

I'm not saying swimming isn't a good workout, it really is, it's just not as good at burning calories as running. The reason swimming is hyped SO much is because it is essentially NO impact, which cuts down on joint problems (knee, back, ankles, ect), and if you were 45 years old swimming would be your best option.

Do you have any idea what youre talking about?

Swimming works out just about every single muscle in your body......wtf are you thinking lol. Look at ANY swimmer and they are completely toned and ripped......Running....is running? Legs...whoo. pretty easy to see the difference by range of motion!! Wowwwwwwww !!!

Swimming works out just about every single muscle in your body......wtf are you thinking lol. Look at ANY swimmer and they are completely toned and ripped......Running....is running? Legs...whoo. pretty easy to see the difference by range of motion!! Wowwwwwwww !!!

Do you really think running is only legs? I'm no work out fanatic and i even know you must be off your meds.

First of all, your legs account for almost half of the muscle mass on your body, so not "whoo", more like "WOW." Second, it's ridiculously hard to run without using you upper body, and your core and lower back are as crucial to running as your legs. Lastly, it is far easier to control your tempo and use proper form when you run as opposed to swimming because, well, people just don't swim very often.

The idea isn't to work your muscles, it's to get your heart pumping at a steady rate while burning through energy, and running is the easiest and one of the most efficient ways to do that.

• 3 months later...