The REVISED "I don't wanna be a fatass" thread

theallseeingeye

• Administrator
Yea and try doing situps and alternating which side you go to. (put your hands behind your head and elbows out in front and go up and touch your right elbow to your left knee and left elbow to your right knee). I do these as fast as a can for 50 reps to each side, 100 total, usually 4-5 times throughout my ab workout.

I don't see why people say crunches don't work. There's a million variations on the basic cruch; all of which will help you to obtain the often sought after six-pack.

You only stated one and sadly most of the world if probably oblivios to its existance because they think crunches are worthless.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think crunches are worthless, i just like situps more because they provide a better range of exercise and allow you to hit your middle and lower abs more. Crunches mainly only hit the top abs. Crunches work, i just like whole situps more. And hey, just look at the picture of me in my profile. What im doing is working very very well :p

• Administrator

All I know is I'm on a mass gainer right now and I love it...

I love not having to watch every single meal all the time, I love being able to lift harder and heavier, and I absolutely love food.

Trying to move from 226ish to 240-250 range - hopefully by January.

Soon as I get the funding I'm going to go on 3 monthish drug spree and I'm going to love that too..

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator
God Damn I don't think I have ever ran more than 40 yards at a time in my life. I am looking into getting in shape. I have all the muscle mass I need, just need to drop fat and enhance endurance.

Step 1: Quit Smoking.

Will let you know how that goes.

Good first step.

So I'm at an impasse...

Breaking a 6 minute mile was one of my original goals a year ago, and now I've done it. The plan was to then concentrate on gaining strength to the point I could bench 150% of my weight and eventually be able to do a one-arm pull-up, among other things. The problem is, now I have the desire to break a 5 minute mile... but I know it's either one or the other, so my question is... which is more important? What do you guys think?

So I'm at an impasse...

Breaking a 6 minute mile was one of my original goals a year ago, and now I've done it. The plan was to then concentrate on gaining strength to the point I could bench 150% of my weight and eventually be able to do a one-arm pull-up, among other things. The problem is, now I have the desire to break a 5 minute mile... but I know it's either one or the other, so my question is... which is more important? What do you guys think?

Honestly if you couldn't break the 6 minute mile until recently, you will not break the 5 minute mile mark until much later. You will have to run I believe eighty seconds flat all four laps. Best way to get that kind of time is to work on your speed and endurance. You'll lose a lot of your muscle mass but go for it if you want. The thing about going from 6-5 minute is really hard, you need natural talent too.

I was shown so many ab workouts I'm now using it's ridiculous. Try elevating your legs 6 inches from the ground, keeping them straight, and doing russian twists using a 25 lb medicine ball for 300 reps (sets of 50). Keep your legs together and do not move them any more than necessary for the twist.

I also do Vertical Leg Crunches, Cross Over Crunches, and an exercise I don't know the name of.. basically you sit on an inclined pad with your ass right on the edge and straighten out your entire body, then pull your legs in and crunch in basically, then re straighten your entire body and repeat.

I'm actually at about 6'1, 185 lbs now. Down from ~260lbs 18 months ago.

No offense or anything but 6'1" @ 185 seems kind of scrawny.

I don't doubt that you're physically fit, but I could never stand being that small (in weight)...

Uhmmm that's not really scrawny at all......I would say it is average...if not above average. Not everyone wants to look like some buffed up body builder type thing where you can bench 300 lbs.

im not sure how old he is, but there are def people here at school i see that are 6 foot or taller and most likely weigh 130-140 lbs...if not less. Adding on 40-50 lbs is quite a bit. Especially at 6'1

No offense or anything but 6'1" @ 185 seems kind of scrawny.

I don't doubt that you're physically fit, but I could never stand being that small (in weight)...

At say 8% bodyfat you would have to have a pile of muscle to weigh 185-190 at 6' 1".... that's actually above average.

I'm 6' 170 and I still have fat to lose before I'm in the single digits for body fat % (I'm probably around 10%)... by the time I'm able to do what I want to do as far as lifting, which is substantial, I DOUBT I'll weigh over 175... when you shed the fat it doesn't take a whole lot of lean mass to be really strong.

205 lbs, 38inch waist ----- 185 lbs, 36 inch waist ----- 170 lbs, 32-33 inch waist

Mile - N/A ------------------ Mile - 7:40 ----------------- Mile - 5:44

Bench - 195 --------------- Bench - 155 ---------------- Bench - 160

Pull-ups - 0 ---------------- Pull-ups - 0 ----------------- Pull-ups - 12

12/07 ---------------------- 04/08 ----------------------- 10/08

changesww9.jpg

Also a current picture of my back (check the CoD4 on the TV haha):

back1dj9.jpg

Pretty sick shit tase......good job lol

But ....typo? How did you bench more without working out than when you began exercising? o.O And its crazy how much your body type has changed, you can kind of tell what you were focusing on in the 2 last pictures...

And thats quite a bit of change for 6 months of working out........what have your friends family been saying? haha...beyond the "omg youre healthy!"

Wow good job tase, it's nice to see people succeed.

I wish I kept a stat diary of my progress and stuff, it would have been pretty intense. I'm not nearly in as goos a shape as you are, probably around your middle stage or so with more muscle though as I lift alot more then you did at that time.

Either way, I'm definitely going to be posting some after pics once I'm close to my goals. I plan to be there around the middle of november or december.

Congrats man.

In the first picture I had actually been liftin for a pretty long time, but I dropped the lifting down a lot and started focusing more on weight loss and I got weaker in doing so. Regardless, I'm much happier where I am now, but I'm still not where I want to be.

My family and friends are all about it and they comment all the time, the gayest part is I have to keep buying new clothes.

Edit - I realize that at all of these weights, relative to my weight at the time, I'm pretty weak. Now my focus is changing more towards strength and lowering my body fat %, because I want to be straight up shredded.

In the first picture I had actually been liftin for a pretty long time, but I dropped the lifting down a lot and started focusing more on weight loss and I got weaker in doing so. Regardless, I'm much happier where I am now, but I'm still not where I want to be.

My family and friends are all about it and they comment all the time, the gayest part is I have to keep buying new clothes.

Edit - I realize that at all of these weights, relative to my weight at the time, I'm pretty weak. Now my focus is changing more towards strength and lowering my body fat %, because I want to be straight up shredded.

in picture one you have big flabby man boobs :)

I'm impressed man, good Job.

• 4 months later...

Update-

Between classes, bars, girls, the holidays, and family I haven't been able to really get into a solid lifting schedule until just recently. I have been running anywhere from 15-20 miles a week for the last month or so though, and a little less for the months leading up to it. Hopefully now I'll be able to focus on getting some strength built back up.

How goes it for everyone else?

I just started back into a football lifting schedule after being basically a cat for the past 8 months. I ate, slept and pooped and that was the extent of my day. I went up to 344 lbs, (at 6'9" it doesn't look horrid, but still a lot more than I wanted). After a 3 week developmental cycle in the weight room, I have dropped over 20 lbs and have some preliminary maxes for some lifts.

Squat - About 450

Bench - About 315 (haven't really recovered from shoulder surgery much)

Power Clean - About 300

These are just basing off my sets that i've done. I max in another 4 weeks so ill post the for sure numbers then. It feels good to get back into a solid regimen though. I want to play my position at about 300-310 lbs, while still maintaining mobility. So I should be good to go. My goal for outside of football, after I dont have to be fat for a living anymore, is about 250-260 lbs. I wont change much out of my schedule except more cardio and get rid of god-forsaken power cleans.

• Administrator

Well lets see here, I'm about 250lbs now. At some point I'm going to have to start cutting weight, oh how I dread the day I decided to start. I've taken almost two weeks off due to illness and excess school work, plan on hitting it pretty hard next week if I feel better.

Updated Personal Bests (Note: I don't max, all my personal bests are in set format):

Flat Bench: 315lbs for 4 reps 4th set (Failed@5)

Military Press: 315lbs for 3 reps 4th set (Failed@4)

Leg Press: 1220lbs for 4 reps 4th set (Can go heavier, going to start toning legs more though)

Squat: 415 for 4 reps 4th set (I'm weiry of going heavier, I hate relying on a spotter if I were to fail)

Alt Arm Curl (bis): 50lbs dumbells 5 reps 4th set (Failed@6)

Bench Dips (tris): 200lbs on lap 12 reps 4th set (Can go heavier, I choose not to)

Deadlift: 495lbs 3 reps 4th set (Finally got a belt, but I haven't pushed this any further yet)

Obviously these are not the only exercises I do, but I figured these would be the ones people could relate to.

I really WANT to do it, but due to football I'm not supposed to lose weight. I should stick around 315-320 to play at, at least thats what my D1 coach wanted me at. But I was always around 270, even consuming 5,000 calories a day. I don't have an overactive metabolism, and my body tends to store a lot of "empty" weight. That's why it drops so quick, and also gains just as fast.

Started doing light cardio today. I think I had a heart attack.

I started by running half a mile a day, then a mile... after a month I could do 3. Fact of the matter is, cardio is fucking rough if you're overweight, it doesn't get easy until you're already at the weight you're trying to get to, so it blows ass for shedding pounds.

Basically what I'm telling you, losing weight is 99% diet.

• 4 weeks later...

I used to weigh 250 lbs, and I lost about 65 lbs of fat between April and September. At 185 lbs I clean bulked up to ~192 and I am now doing a cut. Currently weigh ~183 lbs. I'm 6'1. Core lifts are:

Bench: 225x5

Squat: 305x5

Dead: 355x3

for my cut I'm doing 2-3 days of HIIT cardio(20-25 mins) and 2-3 days of steady state cardio(45 mins). I'm not able to work upper body at the moment because I separated my shoulder recently, so I've been doing a 6 day split of cardio/legs/arms(I can do bi's)/abs/legs/cardio.

I used to weigh 250 lbs, and I lost about 65 lbs of fat between April and September. At 185 lbs I clean bulked up to ~192 and I am now doing a cut. Currently weigh ~183 lbs. I'm 6'1. Core lifts are:

Bench: 225x5

Squat: 305x5

Dead: 355x3

for my cut I'm doing 2-3 days of HIIT cardio(20-25 mins) and 2-3 days of steady state cardio(45 mins). I'm not able to work upper body at the moment because I separated my shoulder recently, so I've been doing a 6 day split of cardio/legs/arms(I can do bi's)/abs/legs/cardio.

Way to go brother, keep it up!

Wish I could put up numbers like that haha

• 2 weeks later...
I go back on diet and start doing some cardio and I gain 10 lbs.

Apparently my body was starving for nutrients...

Never thought I would see myself at 260.

How tall are you at 260?

I wish I could be big like that, my body looks like garbage at anything over 200lbs, though I'll be going on a clean bulk as of September and we can see what it looks like with a majority of the weight being lean mass.

You're probably no noob, but if you're looking to cut, I'd suggest H.I.I.T (High Intensity Interval Training). If you do it 2-3 times a week with 2-3 days of steady state cardio after your lifting, you'll see great results pretty quickly.

Good luck gettin' in shape for summer everybody.

• Administrator
I go back on diet and start doing some cardio and I gain 10 lbs.

Apparently my body was starving for nutrients...

Never thought I would see myself at 260.

How tall are you at 260?

I wish I could be big like that, my body looks like garbage at anything over 200lbs, though I'll be going on a clean bulk as of September and we can see what it looks like with a majority of the weight being lean mass.

You're probably no noob, but if you're looking to cut, I'd suggest H.I.I.T (High Intensity Interval Training). If you do it 2-3 times a week with 2-3 days of steady state cardio after your lifting, you'll see great results pretty quickly.

Good luck gettin' in shape for summer everybody.

Just under 6'0". I would love to do HIIT, but my joints can't handle it at my current weight of ~260. I've been sticking to the bike and elliptical until I cut off a bit of weight and increase my endurance.

My current weekly schedule looks something like this:

Mon----------------------------Tues------------------------------Wed-------------------------------------Thurs---------------------------Fri-------------------------------------Sat--------------------Sun

Chest/Tris/Abs/Cardo----Shoulders/Bis/Abs/Cardio----Back/Abs/Cardio(Sometimes)------Chest/Tris/Abs/Cardio------Shoulders/Bis/Abs/Cardio---Back/Legs/Abs-----Fat (off) Day!

Well I've really gotten back into lifting and I'm seeing bigger, faster gains than I did when I lifted in high school. I like to think it's because my routine is better, and I have a much better handle on my nutrition than I used to. Advice I've picked up here and really all over has been a big help, so thanks everyone!

--- A side note ---

Since I really started lifting again I have gained about 6 pounds. I think it's important to mention that this is for a variety of reasons, increased calorie intake with a lifting routine obviously means more muscle, some more fat, and new muscle also means water retention.

Because starting a lifting routine almost ALWAYS means weight gain it's important to watch your measurements, not the scale.

My measurements are about the same: (thinnest part of my waist is 30.5, hips 39, neck 15.5). Those aren't the only measurements you can use, it's just what I follow.

I really need to hire a cook.

My biggest problem with dieting is cooking all the damn time...

lol, that only holds you back if your picky about taste.

When I was living on my own for University my diet consisted entirely of:

Instant Whole Grain Rice (Uncle Ben's variety)

Canned Tuna

90% Lean Turkey Burgers

Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts

Frozen Vegetables

Eggs

Oatmeal

Protein Shakes

Only things out of that stuff that required actual cooking were the eggs and chicken breasts/burgers. I could have any meal prepared in under 10 minutes haha, I was so lazy.

My current cut looks like this:

Meal 1: Single packet of plain whole grain oatmeal, glass of orange juice, banana, 2 eggs

Meal 2: can of tuna+ 1 cup mixed veggies

Pre Workout: Protein Shake

Post Workout: Protein Shake

Meal 3: can of tuna+1 cup mixed veggies

Meal 4: Whole grain rice, 1 turkey burger/1 chicken breast

Meal 5: 2-3 scrambled eggs mixed with skim milk

total cals: ~1945

total protein: ~180g

My Stats:

6'1

~183 lbs

~14% bf

My Shoulder Separation still prevents me from doing any type of decent chest workout, so this is what my split looks like now:

Day 1: light cardio/legs

Day 2: shoulders/light cardio

Day 3: abs/deadlifts/cardio

Day 4: HIIT

Day 5: abs/bis/back/cardio

Day 6: HIIT

Day 7: off

I switch things up here and there, but this is what I try my best to stick to lately.

• 2 weeks later...

New update!

205 lbs, 38inch waist ----- 185 lbs, 36 inch waist ----- 170 lbs, 32-33 inch waist---- 178 lbs, 32-33 inch waist

Mile - N/A ------------------ Mile - 7:40 ----------------- Mile - 5:44 -------------------- Mile - 5:44

Bench - 195 --------------- Bench - 155 ---------------- Bench - 160 ------------------ Bench - 185

Pull-ups - 0 ---------------- Pull-ups - 0 ----------------- Pull-ups - 12 ----------------- Pull-ups - 20

12/07 ---------------------- 04/08 ------------------------ 10/08-------------------------- 4/09

compare2.jpg

I look the same in the last two, or close to it, but I actually weigh more in the last one, I'm essentially the same measurements, but I lift a good deal more. I'm lovin lifting again too, so we'll see where I end up!

New update!

205 lbs, 38inch waist ----- 185 lbs, 36 inch waist ----- 170 lbs, 32-33 inch waist---- 178 lbs, 32-33 inch waist

Mile - N/A ------------------ Mile - 7:40 ----------------- Mile - 5:44 -------------------- Mile - 5:44

Bench - 195 --------------- Bench - 155 ---------------- Bench - 160 ------------------ Bench - 185

Pull-ups - 0 ---------------- Pull-ups - 0 ----------------- Pull-ups - 12 ----------------- Pull-ups - 20

12/07 ---------------------- 04/08 ------------------------ 10/08-------------------------- 4/09

compare2.jpg

I look the same in the last two, or close to it, but I actually weigh more in the last one, I'm essentially the same measurements, but I lift a good deal more. I'm lovin lifting again too, so we'll see where I end up!

bravo.

• 4 weeks later...

Very informative thread...

I'm 6'3"+

230-240ish

(Going for a physical this wed actually..)

Last weekend I went out and bought a new bike, Ive been riding 2-4 hours a day almost every day since, diet-wise though.. I am honestly completely lost, if anyone can suggest an easy-to-stick-to eating regimen that would be much appreciated..

I'm simply looking to drop weight at the moment, I do want to get in to lifting, but I would feel much better with the weight off first, I understand that I do need to do light lifting and introduce something other than just riding to hasten the weight loss..

With that said, I currently have a horrid diet, I hate most vegetables, I hate red meat with a passion, I'm also not particularly fond of fast food(just got tired of having a stomach ache and the shits after eating it, every, single, fucking, time.) also do construction for a living, which I'm sure helps out a bit as opposed to an office job..(Drywaller, that is, steel framing, drywall, t-bar & acoustics, etc.)

HALP PLS!

New update!

compare2.jpg

Damn you could tell the difference running had? Assuming your diet and other variables were basically the same. I stopped running for abit and honestly i feel like shit sometimes. Definitely have to get back into the routine.

• Administrator
Very informative thread...

I'm 6'3"+

230-240ish

(Going for a physical this wed actually..)

Last weekend I went out and bought a new bike, Ive been riding 2-4 hours a day almost every day since, diet-wise though.. I am honestly completely lost, if anyone can suggest an easy-to-stick-to eating regimen that would be much appreciated..

I'm simply looking to drop weight at the moment, I do want to get in to lifting, but I would feel much better with the weight off first, I understand that I do need to do light lifting and introduce something other than just riding to hasten the weight loss..

With that said, I currently have a horrid diet, I hate most vegetables, I hate red meat with a passion, I'm also not particularly fond of fast food(just got tired of having a stomach ache and the shits after eating it, every, single, fucking, time.) also do construction for a living, which I'm sure helps out a bit as opposed to an office job..(Drywaller, that is, steel framing, drywall, t-bar & acoustics, etc.)

HALP PLS!

Few things to follow:

5+ Meals per day

No meals 2-3 hours before going to sleep (like you said you're trying not to gain) - though casein or some cottage cheese before you go to sleep won't hurt.

Cut pop/alcohol/etc - go heavy on water. If you must drink pop stick strictly to diet.

Don't burn yourself out on dieting - if you want to have a snack now and again go for it, but don't overdo it.

You can eat healthy at fast food places, but it can be extremely hard to do.

• 2 months later...
Damn you could tell the difference running had? Assuming your diet and other variables were basically the same. I stopped running for abit and honestly i feel like shit sometimes. Definitely have to get back into the routine.

Just saw this post now, I was in Minnesota over the summer so better late than never I guess.

The running was more of my cardio of choice, and a way to be active... the weight loss was 99.9% nutrition. Cut out the candy, soda, beer, grease, fast-food, and things of that sort... concentrate on eating vegetables and LEAN meats (fish, skinless grilled chicken). That's where I saw the changes from, running a lot does make you just feel all around better though.

So my mom won't bring me to the gym because it's too far away, so i have to wait 3 months until i can get my license. Suggestions for basic workouts i can do at home until then?

Elevated pushups, crunches, JOGGING around the BLOCK.

Find a playground and use it to do pullups/chinups.

STAIRS...

dude...you dont need a gym for a workout, realy?

---------------

And my hole reason for coming to this thread to day. After much pain, suffering and over indulgience earlier this spring, I finaly got down to

"my ideal" weight and body compistion.

5'5"

150lbs

7.5% body fat.

this fall, Im going to get recertified (agian) to co-instruct a self-deffense class at school in the eavnings that will also help to keep me motivated to keep in shape.

Woot for ground-n-pound! (go for the groin first, yes, guys in the class, I said groin, I suggest you wear cups to class.) (that was my opener for last fall, and everyone just looked shocked, and we instructors were just laughing our asses off.)