More Life vs More Damage

Your opinion please. Mathematical explanations welcome :)  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In your opinion, which is most valuable.

Say you can either go for 1k more damage or 1k more life on a character that is fairly well made already.

For example, a melee character does 8k damage per attack, but can get 9k damage with a particular stat assignment, but the life difference will be 1k less. Say 4k life instead of 5k.

your thoughts? (remember mods like DS, etc!!)

very few chars would be dmg over life.

In melee 1k dmg = 85 dmg after pvp and dmg reduce (which any smart dueler will have vs you)

Now lets say casters 1k dmg will be like 43 dmg after resists (and thats if they dont sorb you.)

Chars that i would choose dmg over life:

BvC if you already have high life that 1k would be nice (but no real way to get it)

windy if you have the fcr fhr and dmg reduce (when necessary) and also if you have like close to 5.5k life (with a max blocker) than the dmg would be nice

But even on those chars life would probably work better and require less gear sacrifices

i don't think that the rate your thinking about depends on which type of build your aiming for.

defensive = don't get hit and kill enemy in 1 hit. those are pure damage/no much life characters.

offensive = you chase your oponnent down and don't mind getting hit. so you need to tank. when choosing that path you lose some damage.

personally i would try to think of it in terms of percent increase in life vs percent increase in damage. in your example you say 8-9k dmg or 4-5k life. thats 25% increased life over 12.5% increased dmg. If you think of it in terms of 25% more life = you will live on average 25% longer and so can inflict 25% more damage before you die. One way of thinking about it mathematically would be to just multiply your characters damage and life. so in your example 9x4 = 36 while 8x5= 40... thats another trick to arriving at some sort of overall index of your character.

life>damage.

--

verbal warned for spam

and closed, there have been enough answers and almost all of em are just repeating others.

everyone has their preferences and it also depends on the char.

if you dont plan on getting hit alot then i'd go for damage but most builds would prolly go life over dmg. the only one i can really think of atm that would go all damage is bowazons.