Pink's PvP Zealot guide. v.3.0

Pink's PvP Zealot Guide. v.3.0.

Hi I'm Brian, and I love Paladins, especially melee ones (Zealots). This is a guide version 3.0 (due to requests) for a Player vs Player(PvP), that will also work well Player vs Monster (PvM) Strictly Melee Paladin that specilizes in the Combat Skill Zeal.

BREAKPOINTS:

FHR Breakpoints:

Regarless of your Gear choice, these are the FHR breakpoints for any paladin.

6 Frames: 27% <- Everyone will hit this with CoA Alone.

5 Frames: 48% <- i have this (30%:CoA, 20%:Temps, 10%:Verdungoes)

4 Frames: 86% <- not necessary

I use 48%, as I feel it is all that is necessary in melee combat dueling. Since Zeal is uniterruptable, the split second interval between zeals, where you do not perform a block, is the only time you could go into Hit Recovery Animation.

Zeal IAS Breakpoints:

Only 1 listed, because if your slower, you wont win. You need a 4 frame zeal. This guide contains all base [0] speed weapons, but others do exist.

Base [0] Speed Weapon: 60% (Beserker Axe)

Base [5] Speed Weapon: 75% (Ettin Axe, Devil Star)

Base [-30] Speed Weapon: 30% (Phase Blade)

SKILLS

The Skills for any Zealot should be the same, it is just a matter of preference which you prefer to max out first. The build will be complete at level 96. I am maxing my skills in this order, I am currently level 92, and in progress to 96.

Zeal (maxed 1st)

Fanatacism (maxed 2nd)

Holy Shield (maxed 3rd)

Defiance (maxed 4th)

Sacrifice (maxed at 96)

Note:You might want to put about 7-12 in sacrifice before you max Defiance for the Holy Shield Defense Synergy, for some of that damage output prior to reaching 96.

Note 2:Blessed Aim is a passive synergy to your attack rating. It provides a 5% Bonus to Attack Rating, per level invested. At higher levels this is about 300 AR per level you put in it.

THE GEAR OPTIONS:

TEMPLAR MIGHT SETUP:(This is what I currently Run)

Weapon:Best % BoTd Zerk Axe you can afford

Armor: +2 Ethereal Zod'd Templar's Might 2700+ Defense

Shield: 1K+ defense ED%/AR Ethereal Exile Vortex Shield

Helm: Crown Of Ages (15% BASE DR, berber'd - for a total of 31% DR)

Rings: 2x 230+/20dex ravenfrosts

Amulet: Highlords Wrath

Gloves: 50+% ED/20 STR/high defense Steelrends

Boots: Upgraded Gore Riders (Myrmidon Greaves)

Belt: 15% Damage Reduce Verdungos Hearty Cord/High Defense (as with all Verdungos, high defense is more important than perfect replenish and vitality)

Note: For Baal runs, I use a Chains of Honor Archon Plate and Construction Grip (Duped Ring) for resists and more Life Leech. This Gives me 75% Resist lightning for those pesky Black Souls.

Armor Note: I have a Ethereal Sacred Stone in my stash with 3k+ Defense that I use as well. I find it helps vs barbs - giving me more defense that is lost when I have to use HoZ and not exile.

TEMPLAR'S MIGHT SETUP BASE STATS:

Strength: 152 with 20 str rends, and 20 stat anni

Dexterity: 210-215

Vitality: The rest you have that wasnt spent on dex/str

Energy: Absolutely none.

DEX NOTE:(No, this is not what you need to achieve 75% block. It is much more. Don't question this. You want high dex base for a better AR. You have to hit to win.)

ETH VALOR SETUP:

Armor: +2 Ethereal Zod'd 165%+ Arkaine's Valor (or Glitch Ber Valor)

Belt: 15% Damage Reduce Verdungos Hearty Cord/High Defense

ETH VALOR SETUP BASE STATS:

Strength: 135 with a 20 stat anni to meet the 185 str req for steelrends.

Valor Setup NOTE:This will grant you about 300 more life than the Eth Temps setup, as well as some more AR, but 6-7k less Defense.

GLADIATOR'S BANE SETUP:

Armor: Best % Ethereal Gladiator's Bane "BER"

Rings: 2x Angelic Set Rings

Amulet: Angelic Set Amulet

GLADIATOR'S BANE STATS:

Strength: 135 with a 20 stat anni to meet the 185 str req for steelrends.

GBane Setup NOTE:This is the cheapest of the builds to make, and it can be quite effective. The high durability on the Gbane (120/120) allows you to place a BER Rune in it to achieve maximum DR%. The durability will gradually go down, but it is quite slow, so you have some time before you have to zod it. The use of angelics grants me 23k with this build, and 48k defense, and 7.8k damage.

GBane Setup NOTE 2: A weapon alternative for the richer players to test out, is to use an eth DC with 20% ias gloves. I use this setup sometimes, and it works very well against templars, valor, and cara barbs.

CC LEVIATHAN SETUP:(Also known as Cookie Cutter)

Weapon:Best % Ethereal Zod'd Death Cleaver you can get

Armor: Leviathan 1650+Defense "CHAM'd"

Helm: Crown Of Ages (80% Enhanced Damage, 30% IAS. Socket: 2x 40%ED-15IAS jewels)

Rings: 2x Angelic Set Rings

Amulet: Angelic Set Amulet

COOKIE CUTTER SETUP BASE STATS:

Strength: 134 with a 20 stat anni to meet the 174 str req for Leviathan****

Dexterity: 175-185

****NOTE****:HoZ is used to gain an additional 20 strength, in addition to the 20 from annihilus to equip your Leviathan Armor, allowing you to equip the rest of your gear. A FAL Rune may be placed in the HOZ, allowing for 10 less base strength.

CC Setup NOTE:The Damage Reduced % (DR%) should be 50%, from a combination of Leviathan, Verdungoes, and Crown of Ages (all have ranging % stats). Your attack Rating will be massive for this build. Expect 20K-23K. This along with the -33% Defense modifier on ETH DC is what makes this build so scary.

CC Setup NOTE 2: This Setup can be used with a BOTD zerk if you cannot afford an ETH DC. I have tried it, and it fairs well, but i still prefer my eth Temps.

CC Setup Option #2:Another option is to run crafted blood gloves with 20 Increased Attack Speed (IAS), and use a BER BER CoA with an Eth Armor, such as Glitched CHAM'd valor. This gives you the slice and dice of the ETH DC, along with the defense of valor, and the Massive AR from angelics. This is not as consistent as the other options, but when it is hot, it is unstoppable.

ETHEREAL HEAVEN'S LIGHTSETUP:

Weapon:Best % Ethereal Heavens Light +3 "ZodLo"

Armor #1 Option: Leviathan 1650+Defense "CHAM'd"

Armor #2 Option: Ethereal Valor

Helm #1 Option: Crown Of Ages (80% Enhanced Damage, 30% IAS. Socket: 2x 40%ED-15IAS jewels)

Helm #2 Option: Crown Of Ages (15% BASE DR, berber'd - for a total of 31% DR)

Rings #1 Option: 2x Angelic Set Rings

Rings #2 Option: 2x 230+/20dex ravenfrosts

Amulet #1 Option: Angelic Set Amulet

Amulet #2 Option: Highlords Wrath

Gloves: 20% IAS Gloves with some mods: STR/DEX/Nice Defense/5% AR Bonus/Life/Crushing Blow

HEAVENS LIGHT SETUP BASE STATS:

****NOTE****:HoZ is used to gain an additional 20 strength, in addition to the 20 from annihilus to equip your Leviathan Armor, allowing you to equip the rest of your gear. A FAL Rune may be placed in the HOZ, allowing for 10 less base strength.

Ethereal Heavens Light Setup NOTE: This Setup works in either Leviathan or Valor Mode. I prefer to use it in valor mode for more defense, and more deadly strike. The AR is still fairly good in valor mode beacuse of the heaven's light +3 skills. I had 18k AR with valor and heavens light, which is about as high as it gets without angelics or compromising other statistics.

Ethereal Heavens Light Setup NOTE 2:The Damage Reduced % (DR%) should be 50%, from a combination of Leviathan, Verdungoes, and Crown of Ages (all have ranging % stats). Your attack Rating will be massive for this build. Expect 22K-24K. This along with the -33% Defense modifier on Ethereal Heavens Light Setup makes this build scary, just like the cookie cutter setup. Heavens light has nicer minimum damage.

ETHEREAL RUNE MASTER NOTE: This weapon can be used in this build in place of a heavens's light. The Runemaster requires 85% IAS to reach a 4 fpa zeal. I suggest socketing the axe with "ZodLoLo" and 2x 40%ED-15%IAS jewels. The "Cannot be Frozen" mod on the axe allows the use of angelic rings and amulet and a 40%ED-15%IAS jewel in the leviathan. IAS Gloves and and 80-30 coa are used to round it out.

ETHEREAL REDEEMER SETUP:

Weapon :Best % Ethereal Redeemer "Zod"

Armor: Leviathan 1650+Defense "40%ED-15IAS jewel'd

Helm: Crown Of Ages (80% Enhanced Damage, 30% IAS. Socket: 2x 40%ED-15IAS jewels)

ETHEREAL REDEEMER BASE STATS:

Dexterity: 215-225

Ethereal Redeemer Setup NOTE :The Damage Reduced % (DR%) should be 50%, from a combination of Leviathan, Verdungoes, and Crown of Ages (all have ranging % stats). Your attack rating will be slightly lowered, but the -33% defense and the massive damage from the redeemer from the +damage on the weapon help offset the lower AR.

Ethereal Redeemer Setup NOTE 2:

FOOLS MOD WEAPONS:

The "fools" mod is a mod on a weapon that adds max damage and attack rating based upon character level. The attack rating bonus is the same as 1 angelic ring, and the max damage is 1/2 the level of the character, so these are HUGE bonuses. If the right find occurs, these things can be the best weapons around. The optimal fools weapon would be an ethereal 350%+ED Beserker Axe with either 2 sockets or automatically repairs durability and 40% IAS. This thing could be used in place of any weapon, in any build, and grant massive AR and some deadly strike with a Lo Rune. Of course, this type of weapon can be RIDICULOUSLY expensive, I have seen nice eth phase blades go for over 200x, and an eth zerk similar to the one I described go for more than a glitched valor.

LADDER OPTIONS:

With the start of the season 2 ladder came many new runewords. Out of them, a few options should be noted. But then again, in elite melee dueling groups such as palapk or palapk nation, none of them will be allowed. All of the new runewords have too much elemental damage, a % chance to cast a spell, or poison damage, all of which are considered BM (bad mannered). Regardless, they are cool ideas to explore, and could be fun to go pubbing with. Who knows, maybe GM/BM melee rules will be changed when ladder seaon 2 ends.

Armor: Fortitude: this thing has 300% enhanced damage, massive life, and decent defense need I say more? A % chance to cast Level 15 Chilling Armor when Struck is BM.....GOSH BLIZZARD WTF!

Weapon Grief Beserker Axe: With even a low roll, this weapon does much more damage than a botd zerk. slightly lower max, but a 400+ min damage is insanity. Now a beserker axe needs 60% ias in total, so many options exist. It could be used in place of the eth heavens in one of the two setups listed, or it could be used in place of the eth DC in the cookie cutter setup. But it has % chance to cast venom, and poison damage is considered BM by most legit melee players ;/~

Weapon Last Wish Beserker Axe:This is a tempting looking weapon just beacuse of the might aura, massive %ED and life tap, but %chance to cast a level 20 charged bolt....<_< BM.

Weapon Oath Beserker Axe:This just isnt even as good as BoTD BA, so it isn't worth mentioning really. and once again, % chance to cast level 20 bone spirit ;/~

Shield Phoenix Vortex: With a base % ed/ar shield, this thing has the potential to really boost your damage, but lets see what you lose without exile.... lifetap, defiance, the ability to use an ethereal shield. Those alone don't make me want to use this for the damage boost. What good is a ton of damage if you lose 20k defense and get hit 24/7 ? A % chance to cast level 20 firestorm...zzz...BM.

Weapon Death Beserker Axe:This is my favorite of the new weapon runewords. I am a sucker for deadly strike, what can I say. Massive deadly strike, nice %ED, and the ability to make in an ethereal weapon are all gravy. A % chance to cast 18 Glacial Spike On Attack makes it BM, just like the rest of the ladder season two runewords, but these mods are so sexy. a 20% Bonus to attack rating is the icing on the cake ;/ The only drawback is this thing would require a hefty amount of IAS, but could be used in the ethereal redeemer setup. I would much rather be using this thing on a WW barb.

WEAPON SWITCH:

Regardless of your gear choice, any Zealot build will want to use a +6 Battle orders Call To Arms and a Herald Of Zakarum Shield (used for Holy Shield Buff)

The Higher the Defense HOZ, the better.

CHARMS:

Regardless of your Gear Choice, all charms for any good Zealot are the same:

-1x 20 stat annihilus unique small charm

-full inventory assortment of 32020s, MAX/Ar/Life legits, AR/Life grands, MAX/AR/DEX charms, AR/Life smalls

-(if you can afford to use 39x 32020s, that is optimal)

Charm NOTE: I prefer to use a few Steel Charms of Vita (AR/Life) for a boost in my attack rating to get it over 16k

STRATEGY:

1. You are melee.

2. You say go above your head, wait for your opponent to do the same

3. WALK! do not run! toward each other, and hold left click zeal on their name with the Fanatacism Aura on.

4. You do not, under any circumstances: pot, run, or cry.

5. Hope for the best.

Dueling against melee Concentrate Barbarians

Since it is Bad Mannered (BM) to use Exile vs barbs in melee duels, you can use Ethereal Herald of Zakarum (kept on weapon switch anyways for Holy Shield buff), or my personal favorite, etheral alma negra. The Alma Negra gives a nice %AR Bonus, providing the necessary criteria to hit those high defense conc barbs. A good alma has more defense than a perfect eth hoz. The lack of exile for the defiance aura vs Barbarians means that you want to beef up your defense somehow, this is where using eth shields comes in handy. The Alma Negra has 36 durability, and mine has a 40%ED-15%IAS jewel in it, although I am thinking of switching to "PUL". My HoZ is ethereal and is "PUL", I just use this in pub duels, while I save the alma negra for tournaments.

MY PALADIN: POLOMARCO:

At level 94, using the Eth Temps Setup, with a few steel small charms of vita (AR/Life) and the rest fine small charms of vita (32020s)

Damage: 2.3k-8.3k Zeal

Attack Rating: 16.3k

Defense: 55.2k

Life: 2860

At level 94, using the Cookie Cutter Setup, with a few steel small charms of vita (AR/Life) and the rest fine small charms of vita (32020s)

Damage: 1.7k-6.6k Zeal

Attack Rating: 22.1k

Defense: 42.8k

Life: 2900

Any Questions, comments, or concerns are greatly appreciated.

Guide History:

v.1.0: Botd Build Using Eth temps/Eth Valor. Basic Gear suggestions/stats

v.2.0: Added Eth DC Section/Different Gear options/stats approaches.

v.3.0: Added Weaons Eth Heavens, Eth Deemer, Gladiatro's Bane, more notes added, Ladder runewords discussed.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice. It's a shame that pn considers chance-to-cast elemental damage as bm. This was never the case in .09. Bren's just too stupid to add resists...

What you mean resists?

edit- I mean you want ppl to wear like coh's and stuff?

With the reset of ladder, who knows this might be necessary if melee standards change

I'm curious, which build do you like the best? I'm currently using:

40-15 Levi

2os Ar on clvl Cham/40-15 Spired Helm

232% Eth Dc

198 Def Up'd Gores

40-15 145 Defense Dungos

Angelics

59/17 266 Def rends

28x32020

ar/life sc's

He does ok but not that good vs any good pally's. If you could help me out a little bit it would be greatly appreciated, any advice on what to change or what to use instead of something please let me know. Nice guides btw.

I'm curious, which build do you like the best? I'm currently using:

40-15 Levi

2os Ar on clvl Cham/40-15 Spired Helm

232% Eth Dc

198 Def Up'd Gores

40-15 145 Defense Dungos

Angelics

59/17 266 Def rends

28x32020

ar/life sc's

He does ok but not that good vs any good pally's. If you could help me out a little bit it would be greatly appreciated, any advice on what to change or what to use instead of something please let me know. Nice guides btw.

two words: Damage Reduction.

what about a rune master for the wep, maybe in a valor build? i was thinking about getting a zodLoLo2x40-15 ias runemaster (207-419 dmg) and using BOTH rings as angelic,

my soon to come set up:

394/31dr coa (got this so cheap off a pub for a 08 valk + 6 sojs, pc's at 60x+)

2 e valor

angelic rings / ammy

rends

up gores

dupe exile

39/15/137 dungo

runemaster? hmm.. dunno whats ias bp for this.. wep speed is "10"

im thinking about getting a just plain 4x40-15 zod rune master, im pretty sure that would hit ias bp =\ but im liking the 40% ds from Lo Lo =\

gime ur thoughts

if someone could post what the ias bp for this wep would be would be VERY appriciated

3.0 is out a week and people want 4.0 already, :/ poor pink

!

keep up the good work bri, you dont know how much your helping the people that dont know how to build a zealot. All they have to do is read. One thing, shouldn't this be Pinned?

:) Thanks, I PM'd pobezo, it should be in the guides section, But it deserves it's own pin ;)

I want to have two cannot be frozen mod but I know the gods of blizz envy me =)

so it is impossible =(

LOL!

what about a rune master for the wep, maybe in a valor build? i was thinking about getting a zodLoLo2x40-15 ias runemaster (207-419 dmg) and using BOTH rings as angelic,

my soon to come set up:

394/31dr coa (got this so cheap off a pub for a 08 valk + 6 sojs, pc's at 60x+)

2 e valor

angelic rings / ammy

rends

up gores

dupe exile

39/15/137 dungo

runemaster? hmm.. dunno whats ias bp for this.. wep speed is "10"

im thinking about getting a just plain 4x40-15 zod rune master, im pretty sure that would hit ias bp =\ but im liking the 40% ds from Lo Lo =\

gime ur thoughts

if someone could post what the ias bp for this wep would be would be VERY appriciated

If you actually READ my guide, you would have noticed I mentioned it. The IAS breakpoint for it is already listed. base 5 speed Ettin Axe, 85 IAS is needed.

ETHEREAL RUNE MASTER NOTE: This weapon can be used in this build in place of a heavens's light. The Runemaster requires 85% IAS to reach a 4 fpa zeal. I suggest socketing the axe with "ZodLoLo" and 2x 40%ED-15%IAS jewels. The "Cannot be Frozen" mod on the axe allows the use of angelic rings and amulet and a 40%ED-15%IAS jewel in the leviathan. IAS Gloves and and 80-30 coa are used to round it out.

ZZZZZ. Like I said, maybe reading my whole guide before posting your comments might be beneficial to both of us. You can't use eth valor with runemaster and be good, because you won't have DR. It needs to be used like a c/c weapon with levi.

hey, i've been wondering if you can put a "b-tals" with BOTD Guide up too. If so, please post it. thank you in advance

Also, nice guide :)

I refuse to write any sort of guide with such a worthless garbage hacked armor. If you MUST use a btals, use it on a Charger.

Not to be difficult but for many differ zealots

Life Tap is BM fully

so this means

no exile

no Dracs

Do you practice lifetap as bm or do you guys really not care?

I duel in PalapkNation, and lifetap is BM vs barbarians only (Hence the use of an eth alma negra or eth hoz for them) In Paladin vs. Paladin duels, it is fully acceptable to use lifetap. The old temple duelings did not use lifetap, and Used Eth HoZ's and Eth Alma's to duel. You can do that if you want, but for pub melee games, Palapk, and PalapkNation, lifetap is fully GM (except vs barbs)

Hey I played around on open a while ago and I like another setup. I'm too lazy to actually acquire the gear on closed realm but I'm kind of interested to know if anyone have actually used it. If I remember correctly it was:

Ber4015 12+dr CoA

40/9 up'd Shaft

eth ZodLoLo40154015 rm

eth exile vortex

crafted 20ias gloves with cb, ar, and high def

Hsaru belt

Hsaru boots

Highlords

2xp ravens

39x32020

20 stat anni

It gets a little bit lower def (around 38-40k) but hits pretty damn hard with 75+ deadly strike. Besides, what's the difference between 40k and 50k def anyway? Like 1% more chance to get hit or something. I had pretty bad ar without hsaru since I prefer more life instead of pumping dex. With hsaru I had around 17-18k ar and about 3.2-3.3klife. Note that this was with all perfect gear. I also tried 45dr and rends which also worked well. I didn't have an opportunity to test it thoroughly but I went a few rounds against a c/c build and an ebotd build and won the vast majority of the duels.

On a sidenote, I find it quite amusing that lifetap is so widely accepted in zeal vs. zeal duels now. Using tap in palapk in 1.09 was like asking to get nk :angry2:

Hey I played around on open a while ago and I like another setup. I'm too lazy to actually acquire the gear on closed realm but I'm kind of interested to know if anyone have actually used it. If I remember correctly it was:

Ber4015 12+dr CoA

40/9 up'd Shaft

eth ZodLoLo40154015 rm

eth exile vortex

crafted 20ias gloves with cb, ar, and high def

Hsaru belt

Hsaru boots

Highlords

2xp ravens

39x32020

20 stat anni

It gets a little bit lower def (around 38-40k) but hits pretty damn hard with 75+ deadly strike. Besides, what's the difference between 40k and 50k def anyway? Like 1% more chance to get hit or something. I had pretty bad ar without hsaru since I prefer more life instead of pumping dex. With hsaru I had around 17-18k ar and about 3.2-3.3klife. Note that this was with all perfect gear. I also tried 45dr and rends which also worked well. I didn't have an opportunity to test it thoroughly but I went a few rounds against a c/c build and an ebotd build and won the vast majority of the duels.

On a sidenote, I find it quite amusing that lifetap is so widely accepted in zeal vs. zeal duels now. Using tap in palapk in 1.09 was like asking to get nk B)

The addition of exile changed things :/

That setup is interesting indeed. I know a few people That can take people out with an up'd shaft. The thing is, you can achieve 17k AR with max dr, 50k defense, 3.2k+ life using a g valor setup, and have much more max damage, -25% defense modifier, and 50% Deadly strike. Nonetheless, I really like your originality, and I will get an erm just to try it out :angry2:

Yeah like I said, I never got a chance to try it out thoroughly. Anyway, the difference between 40 and 50k def isn't that much (def has diminishing returns) and ebotd doesn't get that more max damage. Especially since I realize that I should have used a 40/15 shaft to clear another socket in the weapon. That way, I could have used ZodLoLo4015ias4015max or ZodLoLoLo4015ias in the rm instead. The -25%def is only applied to the base defense so it's not that important as it can look. Anyway, let me know if you or anyone else tries it out.